Author Topic: cut suckers  (Read 1610 times)

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
cut suckers
« on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:40 PM »
has anyone ever tryed suckers cut into two for touge? i have about a dozen or more dead suckers frozen just wondering if they work.
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: cut suckers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Nope, they wont work.  Togue dont like suckers at all.  Stick to smelts or shiners.

Offline troutsdaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:43 PM »
How big are they?  I would put a 12" sucker on the bottom in a heartbeat...now if there 24" long, fillet and cut strips from fillet...hope this helps..troutsdaddy

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:44 PM »
How big are they?  I would put a 12" sucker on the bottom in a heartbeat...now if there 24" long, fillet and cut strips from fillet...hope this helps..troutsdaddy

biggest would be 12" and smallest is prob 7"
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Togue Candy

Offline spinzer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:45 PM »
I've cut some up, works pretty well.

Offline Redflyfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: cut sucker
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Tip it with a Swedish o ya or reg hook cusk to

Offline jimwaldron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:54 PM »
cut sucker works very well on a bucktail jig or swedish pimple. Fresh is better, than frozen because the fresh stays on the hook better. The frozen ones make good cusk bait, cut in chunks or filleted.The key to better success is to jig very slowly,then drop the jig to bottom then pick it up off bottom then jiggle it and then pause it is then that they usually hit. drive the jig home then hang on..bucktail jigs and suckers are available at the new bait shop in Oakland.

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:52 PM »
Ive had a little luck with suckers for touge, cut up a bit, i'll take one and cut under the tail a bit, a bunch of little slices, to get some blood going, drop it down..mid day ill pull em up an cut their belly open and let the guts hang out, dont hurt the guts, just slice um open so they can hang out, do alright on them....did this and as soon as I droped one on bottom on moosehead I got a flag, let it run for 15 min, felt something heavey on the other end, lost it, put it back on bottom, and it happened again....i do it to 2 traps on bottom, 2 traps on bottom with shinners cut up along the tail, and one trap with smelt under the ice for salmon... always worth a try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.