Author Topic: zoom feature on a flasher?  (Read 938 times)

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
zoom feature on a flasher?
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Hey guys I'm more then likely going to be getting a flasher tonight or tomorrow.  I've been looking hard at the Vexilar FL-18 genz pack, and it looks like the big upgrade on that model was the split screen and bottom zoom features.  Now I've only used a FL-8 before, are those extra features worth the money?  Do ya'll fish the bottom of the lakes for the fish or catching the fish at suspended depths?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: zoom feature on a flasher?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:39 PM »
I mainly fish the bottom but wouldn't be without my zoom. On the 18 the zoom is only on the bottome 6/12' anyway. Mine I can zoom anywhere in the water colum and is nice if you get into suspended crappies.

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:02 PM »
Yeah back home in MN we mainly fish the bottow for walleyes too.  These hills lakes are mainly crappie, perch, and blue gills with some pike and trout.  The few lakes that hold walleyes are a 60 to 80 mile drive for me so they aren't going to be my primary places to go, I wish they all held walleyes!

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:25 PM »
I'm with you on the walleye wish! I used the bottom zoom on my 18 a ton when i lived back on the east side of the state when I fished walleyes and perch all the time. Necessity? NO. It did give me a lot more confidence and made me able to read the fish better.

Laker fishing is about the only time I have felt that I needed a zoom. Deep water with most of the fishing coming off or near the bottom. It is hard to separate lines when you are fishing 80 - 100 feet without a zoom.

I purchased an LX-5 this year. Both marcums and birds have a movable zoom (zoom anywhere in the water column). I figured this would be really nice for suspended schools. To be honest though, suspended fish are usually high enough and active enough that I don't take the time to zoom them. I still only zoom for bottom fish in deep water. The vex can actually zoom to the bottom a lot faster and with a lot less effort than both the marcum and the bird.

If you bottom fish in more than 40 feet of water or have not so perfect eyesight, I would say the upgrade is worth it. Plus, you will get your money back out of it when you upgrade down the road!

Offline KingCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:35 PM »
After a day staring at the blips on a screen, it is nice to have the zoom to separate the blips from one another. sometimes it looks like one big blip, and the zoom fixes that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.