Author Topic: ice/slush conditions  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
ice/slush conditions
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Anyone been out on foot or otherwise? How's the slush?

The extreme cold temps must have helped things freeze up a little, yes? Please? lol

Anyone? Bueller?

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
Re: ice/slush conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:00 AM »
i would be curious as well.....lakes region for me please
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Anyone been out on foot or otherwise? How's the slush?

The extreme cold temps must have helped things freeze up a little, yes? Please? lol

Anyone? Bueller?

Not nice for the walkers right now. Kind of like walking on crusty snow. You will be up on top and think you are ok and then plop, you're through again.

Bring the sled

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:52 AM »
DD is right. Newfound anyways: Anywhere that has been ridden on last weekend is hard. Anywhere there is snow, you gonna get wet.

Rubber boots and snowmobiles this weekend most likely unless you stay on the hard pack trails. Best to get out there and pack everything down with a sled in order to get the air to the water. Make a trail where you wanna go and then maybe in a couple of days, you'll be all set. Using an ATV is gonna make big ruts and ruin alot of runners.

JIGGIN.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:12 AM »
DD is right. Newfound anyways: Anywhere that has been ridden on last weekend is hard. Anywhere there is snow, you gonna get wet.

Rubber boots and snowmobiles this weekend most likely unless you stay on the hard pack trails. Using an ATV is gonna make big ruts and ruin alot of runners.

JIGGIN.
That's what I was afraid of.  :-\  Thanks for the update.

Capt. Black

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Alton bay still has a little slush under the fluffy snow. It's hardening up though

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:18 PM »

Rubber boots and snowmobiles this weekend most likely unless you stay on the hard pack trails. Best to get out there and pack everything down with a sled in order to get the air to the water. Make a trail where you wanna go and then maybe in a couple of days, you'll be all set. Using an ATV is gonna make big ruts and ruin alot of runners.

JIGGIN.

Same in Southern NH.......

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Well, I'm going out tomorrow. I'll give a report when I get home. Gonna bring the snowshoes just in case.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Well, I'm going out tomorrow. I'll give a report when I get home. Gonna bring the snowshoes just in case.

Sounds like possible attempted suicide!

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Sounds like possible attempted suicide!

Don't go getting all dramatic on me DD. Hee hee, jk.

We're gonna go it on foot. Should be fine with the snowshoes. Won't have far to walk anyway.

I'll let you know how I make out...or don't lol.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:27 PM »
I just got back from Alton...wil post a full summary in a few minutes.

If you venture off anywhere other than where the sleds have packed it down, its still VERY wet and slushie!!

The guys plowing the runway got stuck again today and the area that they plowed filled in with water like a swimming pool. Its not good at all there and I think there are gonna be a LOT of guys stuck at the launch ramps come derby weekend.....

-Scott

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Man am I glad I got a room right on the lake for the derby!

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Man am I glad I got a room right on the lake for the derby!
Yeah me too!

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:42 PM »
how much would snow shoes help the guys on foot?

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:49 PM »
Don't go getting all dramatic on me DD. Hee hee, jk.

We're gonna go it on foot. Should be fine with the snowshoes. Won't have far to walk anyway.

I'll let you know how I make out...or don't lol.

I have done the snowshoe thing in the slush and I think I would have been better off leaving them in the truck!

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:49 PM »
how much would snow shoes help the guys on foot?

I'll let you know after tomorrow, lol

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:51 PM »

I have done the snowshoe thing in the slush and I think I would have been better off leaving them in the truck!

I hear ya. I doubt I'll even use them. We aren't going to get as much snow as they originally forecast. Gonna bring them just in case.

MY PLAN is to catch so many fish that I won't be bothered by the slush. Heh

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:56 PM »
Good luck with that Tim :-)

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:06 PM »
I have been out there last weekend and since we had this really cold weather the slush should have frozen. Cant wait for the derby!  :clap:

Offline TogueRogue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:05 PM »
I just spoke to a buddy of mine that went out on Winni off Gilford beach and he said that the slush was frozen solid everywhere,,,,He said that a few guys brought out bobhouses without too much trouble...TR

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:51 AM »
I wish Alton Bay was like that, its not frozen at all, its a freaking slush swamp!!

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:16 AM »
[MY PLAN is to catch so many fish that I won't be bothered by the slush. Heh][/quote]

Good Plan!!!

Offline WetlinesNCocktails

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaaaaaaaaag!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I'm new to snowmobiling. With all this slush and snow on the lake, do you think the sled will ride on top, or will it just bog down?  I guess I'll stay on other people's tracks for now.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."   - Benjamin Franklin

Offline YOAdrien

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:00 PM »
I just spoke to a buddy of mine that went out on Winni off Gilford beach and he said that the slush was frozen solid everywhere,,,,He said that a few guys brought out bobhouses without too much trouble...TR

Not everywhere.... i ventured around the lake on sled today and found lots LOTS of BIG slush pockets, some places it froze perfectly and others it didn't at all. found anywhere from 4 to 17 inches of ice and the places with slush have the least ice, duh... The lake is great where its great and a nightmare where it is a nigtmare, basically if anybody fished there in the last 2 weeks it is a complete mess.

This slush is so wet you cant pack a trail with it you sink right in and plow water. The whole backside, inside of bear is a nightmare of slush, leavitt is mostly terrible.

Very erratic conditions out there.

I'm new to snowmobiling. With all this slush and snow on the lake, do you think the sled will ride on top, or will it just bog down?  I guess I'll stay on other people's tracks for now.

the sled wont ride on top of it in many places bogs right down but doesn't get stuck much unless towing the slush ius really loose. Other peoples tracks are jagged cement and teeth chattering.
PROUD SPONSOR OF ICESHANTY.COM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.