The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keeping Warm on the Ice  (Read 772 times)

Offline MJK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice - It's not just for Scotch anymore!
Keeping Warm on the Ice
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:05 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I was out fishing wearing the Gore Tex pants and coat and every time I bent over the wind was blowing up my back.  The soles of my felt packs are cracking and and I was contemplating a new setup to keep warm.  I was down the basement where I keep my hunting and fishing clothes and there in front of me hung the answer.  A few years ago I bought a  pair of 6mm neoprene waders with heavy boots (600 grams of insulation I think) for goose hunting.  Why not? I thought.  I tried them and they worked great!  ;D  The only problem is I wish they had a fly but some things you just have to endure.  You can even use an old pair that leak a little.  You can kneel down on the ice, not worry too much about wet feet and stay reasonably comfortable.  Also when you have an old pair of neoprene waders (and you don't want to wear them ice fishing) and they leak too bad for open water, cut the waders up into 2' X 2' squares that you then use to stand on to put on your boots or sit on on your stool as the material will keep you warmer than the nylon.  The waders are a little heavy and they do need to be dried out on the inside (perspiration) after every use but this is a great way to get double use out of them.  Tight lines.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Keeping Warm on the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:39 AM »
waders in my opinion r a bad idea

if u go thru they will fill up and your chances of getting back out will be greatly reduced

Offline TastyTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:43 AM »
Agreed......They do keep you very warm and dry.  But if you do go through the ice you're sure to stay there.  With that being said I'd rather be a little wet and cold then sinking.  It's a great idea about cutting up and old pair to put under your feet though.  I only wish I had an old pair to cut up!

Offline eyeassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:44 PM »
i agree but whenever i wear chest wadders i always take a belt and wrap it around me under my chest.  i do this when trout fishing or wading for eyes.  it will stop a good bit of water if you fall through or slip in a creek
PRU

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:02 PM »
I personally would never wear them icefishing for the simple fact they do not breath at all...way too clammy, and the best advice to stay warm is too stay dry, thats why underarmour wss made.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:54 PM »
waders in my opinion r a bad idea

if u go thru they will fill up and your chances of getting back out will be greatly reduced
Neoprene waders won't fill up. They fit tightly to your body. Besides being warm, that's their best feature.
Traditional rubber chest waders will open up like a parachute filled with water when you fall in. In strong running water, you'll be goin for a ride downstream! Good luck with that. :o
I've seen some poor suckers wearing these in the Oswego river fall in at the locks by Leto Island, and watched them get taken almost all the way to Oswego Harbor!

As far as wearing them ice fishing. I don't think I would. You do tend to sweat in them. Plus, I like easier access in and out of my clothing. I would think it's personal preference. I save my neoprenes for the streams and rivers.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline westonp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:28 PM »
waders don't fill up and sink you as much as they flip you over because they have air and the boots float very well for this reason. i have seen many people go down in open water and have a heck of a time getting themselves upright. if they are old and leak, maybe cut them at the boot so they don't fill or flip you? just a thought

Offline MJK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice - It's not just for Scotch anymore!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:07 AM »
If you think waders would be a problem if you went through, try going through with felt packs, a wool coat, or even a synthetic coat or a pair of insulated coveralls. :o  That will really ruin your day.  Neoprenes at least have some flotation, are not likely to turn you head over heels, and can actually keep you warm even if you go under.  I personally tested this theory one cold spring afternoon on Kettle Creek.  Just remember it is just another tool in the toolbox. ::)

Offline eyeassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:51 AM »
i agree neopreem might do you some good if you go through.  i know for alot of yrs i would wear my 1 piece hunting suit on the ice, and still see alot of guys who do.  if you went through with that on you would be in some serious trouble.  even with spikes for pulling yourself out it would be tough.  i love wearning my waders on the ice and i have went through before, only up to my waist and boy was i glad i had them on.  i climbed out put up my shelter turned on the heater and fished all day. they dry quick and i was dry underneith
PRU

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.