The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Has anybody used Navionics on Lake Arthur?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
Has anybody used Navionics on Lake Arthur?
« on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:46 PM »
I have been thinking about getting a GPS and was wondering how well Navionics worked for Lake Arthur.  It seems pretty expensive to just buy it and thought maybe some of you guys have tried it.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Has anybody used Navionics on Lake Arthur?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:09 AM »
I have used one for years in my boat, they are not spot on but worth the money in my mind.  What type of information are you looking for on or about them?

Snapper

Offline TIME2FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:58 PM »
In the Spring of 2008, I picked up the 2007 Navionics Premium Hotmaps version in the Cabela's Bargain Bin to use with my Lowrance LCX-17M. It was $80 compared to $150 new. I had a handheld Garmin eTrexLegend that was loaded with the Garmin "Mapsource Fishing Hot Spots" that I also used for ice fishing. I took them both out on Lake Arthur to compare their readings. I started out from the "Old Route 422" launch into "Big Run." The Garmin showed I was on the old 422 roadbed, (which I was backed up by sonar) while the Navionics mapping showed I was up on land on the east shore. While on the roadbed between the island and shore up from Crescent Bay, I took waypoints on both the Garmin and the Lowrance. The Garmin showed I was on the roadbed between the island and shore while the Lowrance with Navionics showed I was northeast of and on the other side of the island. Both GPS readings were the same numbers. I sent an email to the Navionics "GPS deviations corrections" person with screenprints and pictures of both plots, but I never received a reply. I believe the reason the Navionics was in the Cabela's Bargain Bin store in Wheeling was because the mapping was so far off and someone returned it.   

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:49 PM »
I use my original map of Lake Arthur . the only depts that are different are up near muddy creek[filled with silt] i mark structure as it changes
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:58 PM »
I have used one for years in my boat, they are not spot on but worth the money in my mind.  What type of information are you looking for on or about them?

Snapper
I thought it would be great to see where the structure was underneath, creek channels, road beds, and dropoffs.

Offline gosha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:23 AM »
Greetings ;D, I was thinking I could enjoy  fishing map on a GPS .. what would you recommend as being the best bang for the buck? ,josh

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.