Author Topic: Cajun Red Line?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Cajun Red Line?
« on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:44 AM »
Anyone experiment with this stuff yet?I bought some in 4lb test and 20lb. test. I rigged up my jigging rods and did some leaders with it for my tip ups.I dont know about it yet.When the cold hits it, it just seems to turn into wire and holds memory.Kind of disappointed me.I may try it a little longer but it is not looking good for ice fishing.Anyone else?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

hali-man

Re: Cajun Red Line?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2005, 10:14 AM »
Is that the stuff Cabela's sells?
I know I've seen it.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2005, 10:42 AM »
I bought some in four pound test in October.  I used it for walleye right up until ice up, and I didn't seem to have a problem with memory.  It is definitely strong for four pound test, I caught well over a hundred walleye and didn't break off using this line.  I do retie often, and found that it isn't the best knot tying line I've used.  Like you said "it's like wire".  I usually have to tie two or three times to get a knot that I'm happy with.  Not that it's a problem with ice fishing, but I also found that it doesn't cast as well as the other lines.  I did spool the majority of my ice rods with it, I tied a Vanish leader with it.  We'll see at the end of the season.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005, 11:22 AM »
The 4lb. test isnt so bad on my ice spinning rods.The 20lb. i have as leaders for my tipups is a little "weedeater" style line when its cold.I am going to stick with it for a few trips to see.It is that stuff Cabelas sells too.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2005, 02:09 PM »
I put it on 2 of my ice jigging rods this year. So far I like it alot. I used the 4# and haven't seen the memory problem that has been mentioned. I tie direct to the jigs and it hasn't seemed to bother the perch (or a 28"northern) yet.
Pete Lewis

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2005, 02:48 PM »
used 2 and 4 last year great stuff but old farts like me have trouble retying with it.  in low lite its hard to see.  I like hi vis lines like cortland for most ice fishing.  flouro leaders too.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2005, 05:59 PM »
Due to the lack and loss of ice I've only been out once this season but it seemed to do allright in 4lb above a swivel and 2lb floro leader. Acted more like Golden Stren than XL but did the job.  Thought it was real easy to see, caught a couple of fish just seeing the line twitch a tiny bit in the hole, the very light spring bobber never moved.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2005, 06:51 PM »
It is entirely possible that I may never use any colored line again for anything but night fishing ever again. Last sunday I was out using a different rod than I normally use (my wife was using my best  rig). I was using a rig with the berkley ice blue colored line and had my aqua-vu set up so we could watch both lines. She had steady action with the IDENTICAL set up except for line color. The fish would come up to mine and look mine over and back up, look up & down the line, slowly back away and then move (only three feet over) to her's and SLAM IT !!!
Same brand line, same lb. test, same tear drop, same bait, same motion, SAME EVERYTHING BUT REEL, but that rig had a clear line.
Use what you want, but for me seeing is believing!

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.