New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Stolen Fish????  (Read 3378 times)

Offline walt80

• IceShanty Rookie
Stolen Fish????
« on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:55 PM »
I don't know if anyone experienced something like this before, but I know I haven't.  We fished Lake George today, and we tried as best we could to stay out of the shanties.  My brother caught 5 good perch before we all decided to put up the shelters.  We had company move in very close to us after a while.  In fact one guy was drilling holes 25 feet from me.  Her was walking within our area.  Long story short, when we were packing up, three of the biggest fish my brother caught before going inside the shanty were gone.  We don't have proof, but I swear that  guy grabbed them.  We weren't 50 yards back toward shore, and he moved right in on our holes.  I'll recognize this guy if I see him again and he won't get close next time.

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Stolen Fish????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:57 PM »
sorry to hear that... common courtesy isn't on peoples priority lists anymore.

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:58 PM »
 sure it wasn't an eagle ??
Enjoy the pleasure of others pleasure

Offline walt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:01 PM »
I can't be sure, but if so, he would have needed a third leg to grab all three.  I'm sure our friends would have seeh an eagle, and let everyone know.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:02 PM »
The Eagle was there last Saturday, so were a flock of hungry seagulls.......

Offline seansean1444

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:25 PM »
i have had birds do this quite often.... when on a private pond i bring the 12 guage for the crows

adam2000

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:25 PM »
u didnt hear something right outside your shanty

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:30 PM »
I have had a seagull take a perch from the ice right next to me this season... they are getting brave.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Just some advise - next time extra 5 gal pail w/ a fish alarm bell on the lid. Sorry for the loss. This will eliminate gulls/ eagles and neighbors -  has it really come to this .... ?

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:32 AM »
Whoever got them must have been very hungry. I would like to see a gull fly off with a 12 in. perch., i guess its possible. Sounds to me more like a two legged scavenger.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:32 AM »
had a seagull fly off with a good size perch once while on burden lake. now i keep the fish covered in a pail. As for people gettin to close if i feel they are i will pop my head out of the shanty and ask them if they would like to fish inside. Next time bring a radio with ya and start playing some of that discusting vulgar rap music real loud.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:26 AM »
I've seen crows take perch also. I hope it wasn't a person. Its bad enough when people ignore posted signs and hunt on your land but to sneak over and take fish from outside your shanty, that's just another sign that our society is going down hill.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Every time you think; now i've seen it all. And then....... somebody steals your nicest perch from outside your shanty, I think thats a felony.

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's twice as nice when there stacked on the ice !
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Never under estimate the power of sea gulls! Lost plenty to them flying rats and even lost a walleye to someone's dog he came over all friendly next thing you know he is 100 yrd's away and got my fish in his mouth.And had another dog sniffin around and next thing you know the damn thing ate 1 of our perch.

Offline perchhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:01 AM »
If it was a person why wouldn't they take all 5, instead of just 3?

Offline eye doc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:07 AM »
I can't be sure, but if so, he would have needed a third leg to grab all three.  I'm sure our friends would have seeh an eagle, and let everyone know.

if ur friends would have seen an eagle and let you know, i would think they would have seen a full grown man and let you know also.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Anyone who would take someone else's fish must be pretty hungry.  I think I would pray for them.  Also, if someone started drilling holes too close to me, I would walk over and drill a hole about 5 feet from theirs--maybe even beyond their hole.  When they said something to me, I would ask them how close is too close?  and see what they said. 

Offline ice hole bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Gotta watch out for them dump ducks. They are getting braver.

Offline sinkergurl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing makes me happy
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Im almost positive it was seagulls. I actually took pictures of three seagulls stealing fish out of someones sled. Naughty birds
FJB

Offline bunnyasassyn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:57 AM »
id be willing to bet it was a seagull.. two weeks ago on honeoye i had a hot hole goin had prolly a dozen nice fat gills an a couple perch on the ice, then the hole dried up. so i get out of my hut, pop a few holes an start moving around...look back to where my hut is with the fish inches away an theres this big ol' gull havin himself a nice little snack. i threw a perch at him but he didnt get the point so i had to chase him off an put the fish in a bucket, an he still just hung out about twenty yards away waitin for another feast!

Offline rail bird

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:46 AM »
One summer day I am getting lunch at the Hatch restaurant at the Erie Basin Marina. So the guty I worked with and I pick out a table on The deck. It was a nice day and almost every table is taken. I turn around to grab some mustard for my hot dog then the next thing I know the whole place is laughing. I look on the gound and there is a seagull running around with my hot dog sticking out of it's mouth. I was about to kick the bird and the hot dog over the rail but held back with about 60 people watching. It took all of about 3 seconds for that bird to grab my food off the table.

Offline RPudney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:40 AM »
I spent my childhood/college years working party boats off long island, and have seen seagulls
do very brave things, my money is on the birdies took your fish!

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2011, 12:15 PM »
I was watching a couple of guys on buckets last week runing down a gull that took of with some of their fish at MDB.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2011, 12:47 PM »
"Women fear me & fish love me...  er, I mean..."

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:13 PM »
actually I was fishing off MDB on Saturday and found a couple big perch that someone had left on top of the ice.  Western side of the area. 

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:17 PM »

This thread is getting better by the minute!

"Women fear me & fish love me...  er, I mean..."

Offline Extremes74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:00 PM »
While out last week had a gull hanging nearby all day.  We figured we'd give him a little something at the end of the day in fear of attracting more of his friends if we fed him too early.

Got a nice perch on a tip-up and while walking to the bait bucket for another minnow he committed a robbery.

Guess he felt he waited long enough!
Not even the big ones get away!

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:40 PM »
I'm always sittin on my bucket and as soon as I catch em they go in the bucket.Keeps them from freezing solid and more fit in the bucket this way.Eliminates any chance of thievery.That said,I've always had a soft spot for the gulls and treat them to a perch lunch regularly...they always seem soooo grateful.

Offline walt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:45 PM »
After all the comments I've seen about gulls stealing fish I actually feel a lot better, and a little embarrassed about accusing another fisherman.  At least about stealing fish anyway.  Probably can't forgive him for setting up camp in our group, but that often happens.  So after all is said and done, I hope the gull ate good yesterday, because I will with the ones we took home.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:11 PM »
im thinking it was def. a gull. or else you woulda heared that guy walking close to get the fish. but you never know. theres one guy that always fishes the king and hes the biggest lurker you will ever see. a few weeks back we had a group of about 7-9 guys pounding a "now well known" perch bed off the beach. on my way out to the destination i spotted a couple of gentlemen working there way toward the spot i was hoping to secure. so i walked to where they were, considering i was trying to get past them but bassically fish that same area. first thing i did was ask how they were bitting, and told them that the day before i located a pile just up from were they were. soon as i mentioned that i would signal to them when i found the perch, the one gentleman says, " You must be Bird" lol yup thats me. turns out it was perchslappinmy. nice guy. anyhow long story shorter. we were all getting a few fish hopping from hole to hole. thats when perchslappinmy pointed out that there was some dude that just walked into the area were pounding without even saying hello or anything just sat down and never had to drill a hole, maybee 20 feet away. sometimes 10. just watched seen where we were getting the bites then moved to the next available hole closest to us. lol it was acctually amussing. the fish were moving litterally 20 yards back and forth all day. so this dude would go with us as we moved. he never once drilled a hole, but fished atleast 15 or more. among the 6 guys i was with, we got about 120 perch. slow day for sure. this dude got NONE. if he had just said hello to me, or even made an attempt, i would have showed him how to get some fish. instead he got to see how we all got fish. he did the same thing last year. sorry for the rant but when you said you would know the guy if you seen him again, this dudes face popped up in my head. he iether has braided hair or a hat that resembles braides. might be a nice guy, just doesnt have common curtiousy. and cant jig perch for $h!+.  
I don't know if this is just a coincidence or what?   ;D ;DI know one thing, if there was ever a Bird to pound LG Perch, this is the one. ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.