Author Topic: building ice auger out of car starter...welcome any ideas..thoughts,insight  (Read 2981 times)

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
i am in the process of building a ice auger out of a crysler,gear reduced,starter motor.i will listen to any thoughts anyone might have on the idea.one challenge i have now is to figure out a way to prevent injury that may occur when the auger hits a snag.I do plan to have an intermittent start button that will kill the motor when finger is taken off of button.so please any thoughts on this one would be great.good day and tight lines to all.

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
Don't know about a starter moter but I saw one built out of a PTO from a combine.  So powerful it could twist your arm off.  Problem was you always had to to keep the truck close to drill holes and it was hard on batteries.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
i thought about all of these factors then i read some of my replies that i posted in other areas about this topic and the feedback was all posative.there are a few guys that are using them.they have no problem using them.I thought that the auger would rip out of my arms but that is not the case at all.the battery will not wear down as there is minimal load put on the starter compared to turning over an engine.a couple of guys state that they can drill all day and one guy stated to me that  he can drill 3 holes faster than one jiffy with his home made auger.so im quite enthused and will be starting my auger project soon.im using a crysler gear reduced starter as it should turn a bit slower.its a bit heavy though.would you like to hear the outcome?

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
Fall off your walet and but a power auger :) Or don't be so lazy and twist em' like the rest of us that don't have a old man auger! LOL
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline Higgsy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
I have been thinking about doing something like that also, but I didn't think a starter motor would last boring holes. Something I might try is plugging an inverter into my atv and using a drill for the power supply. I have a hand auger i was just going to make an adapter so it would fit it the drill chuck. As long as my atv running I won't drain the battery down and the electic drill would be easier to haul around and less weight and less noise also. I priced out a electric Jiffy think they would be cheaper than a gas but I was wrong. They are almost the same price as a gas powered one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.