The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Smelt Report  (Read 24545 times)

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smelt Report
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:51 AM »
  do the smelt show up on the flashers or is it just other fish ?  and how do you determine which is which ?

Any fish will show up on the flasher.  These smelts are pretty big, so they show up well.  I set the sensitivity so that I can see the Hali jig on the bottom of my rig.  Not only does the flasher tell me where the fish are, but seeing my jig, I can lower it quickly and efficiently into the school.  What I've been doing is watching the jig fall a few feet into the school, putting the rod down, sending down another rig on a different rod.  Usually by the time I get the other one down, the first rod is twitching and I pull up a smelt (sometimes multiple).  Then I have to go for the other rod because that one is getting bit...and it is just mayhem if there is a good school down there.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2011, 02:48 PM »
caught 70 in a couple hours last night not real fast but enough to make it a good trip
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline shybeaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Went to Bakers today, sunday is family day.  We caught enough for pike bait for the rest of the seaseon.  It was great, I had no problem getting the stove going good.  You just have to give her enough air and it will drive you right out. 

Baker's now has a website, check it out. :)

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Went to James Eddy in Dresden last night and between 4 of us we caught 30 smelt in 6 hours. Anyone got a camp down behind Crookers trailer park in Brunswick? Borrowed someones camp there last week and got about 150 in 4 hours

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:30 PM »
Went to James Eddy in Dresden last night and between 4 of us we caught 30 smelt in 6 hours. Anyone got a camp down behind Crookers trailer park in Brunswick? Borrowed someones camp there last week and got about 150 in 4 hours
If you went to Crookers you came by me. I have one on the lawn with a sign on it. You could have your own.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline BrendanParker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:08 PM »
I went to Sonnys last weekend and got about 50 or so...not bad for my second time ever going and not really having a clue!  Fun time!

Offline Campman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Went to Jims yesterday.  Skunked.

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:56 PM »
Jims always seems to be slow I was a couple miles down the road from you on another trib, fished for an hour caught 75 or so
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Anyone have a camp behind Crookers trailer park in Brunswick? Or maybe one off of water street in Brunswick? Would love to go smelting. I know very few people with shacks, so let me know if anyone wants company

Offline blktrk4man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Went to bakers lastnight, they were biting good, 120 smelts between the 3 of us, hitting good 6 feet down.

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Went to Jim's last nights, fished from 5PM - 10PM, 24 Smelt total, the bite was very slooooow.
When they did bite, it wasn't very aggressive at all, they were very lite biters.

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:39 PM »
  Going to jim's 2morrow nite 3:15 in coming tide will post result's ..
Enjoy the pleasure of others pleasure

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Hitting Sonny's tonight for a double.....hope they are biting, always a good time regardless though
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline BrendanParker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Make sure you vent the door...those kerosine heaters did a number on me!!!

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Make sure you vent the door...those kerosine heaters did a number on me!!!

I don't fish in any of the camps heated with kerosene anymore.  Woke up too many times with black residue in my nostrils that seemed to last for days.  Who knows what kind of long-term damage I did to my brain/lungs.  I think it's a fair assumption that Sonny doesn't keep them maintained or replace the wicks, so they're even worse than normal.  Trying Baker's this year instead.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:31 PM »
Managed to get the smelt shack on River X yesterday afternoon without IT or ME going for a swim.  We fished for about an hour with now luck.....heading back tonight for outgoing tide.  Pics to come.... :thumbsup:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:35 PM »
ljsink (Leah) and I went out this evening on River X for an outgoing tide in hopes of some smelt....well big skunkaroo....but it's still fun getting out....can wait for the tide to turn to get an incoming....

Offline highlander1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:21 PM »
HELLO ALL, I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND I HAVE FOUND SOME INTERESTING POSTS.   I AM NOT NEW TO SMELTING (WELL I HAVE ALWAYS FISHED GREAT BAY) AND THAT IS ANOTHER BALL GAME IN ITS SELF.  BEEN AWAY WITH THE ARMY FOR TWENTY YEARS NOW I AM TRYING TO GET BACK TO THE THINGS THAT I LOVE TO DO.  I AM LOOKING FOR SOME ADVISE, BEST PLACES TO FISH FOR SMELT AND TIPS PLEASE.  I FISHED JAMES EDDY ONCE LAST YEAR AND HAD A BALL, I HAVE LEARNED THAT THE HOUSE LINES ARE A THING OF THE PAST AND I HAVE PURCHASED JIGS POLES ETC.  SO, FELLO FISHERMEN/LADIES, PLEASE SEND ME SO TIPS FOR CATCHING MAINE SMELT. THANKS YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:25 PM »
  Welcome aboard highlander !!!       Went to worthing's last night 3:15 in coming..   Iced 52 smelt's between four of us,  Very slow night but good time's had by all ..

Offline highlander1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Hey WaynefromMaine thanks so much for the report.  My name is Wayne also!  Is Feb usually a good month for smelt or is time running out for the run??  Thanks

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Hitting Sonny's tonight for a double.....hope they are biting, always a good time regardless though
let me know how you did. PM me [email protected].
friend did a double there yesterday and into today - 30 smelt for 12 hours total for 3 people.

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Hey WaynefromMaine thanks so much for the report.  My name is Wayne also!  Is Feb usually a good month for smelt or is time running out for the run??  Thanks
  Hey wayne,  Any time is good for smelting.. I do my best during a blizzard.. It's fun just getting out, bet's sitt'n around the house.

Offline highlander1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:24 PM »
  I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT!!  MY ISSUE IS THAT I HAVE TO DRIVE 187 MILES (0NE WAY) TO ENJOY IT.  I WAS JAMES EDDY LAST WEEK DURING THE STORM AND ONLY CAUGHT A TOTAL OF 73 ON TWO TIDES!!  I HOPE THAT THE SMELT ACTION PICKS UP SOON AS I MISSED IT LAST SEASON. 

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:56 PM »
  I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT!!  MY ISSUE IS THAT I HAVE TO DRIVE 187 MILES (0NE WAY) TO ENJOY IT.  I WAS JAMES EDDY LAST WEEK DURING THE STORM AND ONLY CAUGHT A TOTAL OF 73 ON TWO TIDES!!  I HOPE THAT THE SMELT ACTION PICKS UP SOON AS I MISSED IT LAST SEASON. 
  !87 miles on way. You must love those smelt's ..

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:01 PM »
hey highlander, are you from fitchburg? it's me, rich

Offline highlander1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:08 AM »
Yes Rich it is me, I also noticed that it was you while reading posts last night.  Are going to do any fishing the week of you vacation??  A friend and I are planning a double on 7 or 8 Feb???

Offline highlander1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:16 AM »
  !87 miles on way. You must love those smelt's ..
  Yes I do and I have missed out on many years of fishing for them as I was in the Army stationed overseas and then worked for the government and again statione doverseas.  Time to catch up on the past. I am trying to learn the new metohods to catch these fish, grew up in NH and fished Great Bay, so that is the limited knowledge that I have.  Made some sabaki rigs, purchased Sweedish pimples and glow jigs, therefore, I think that I am ready to go!!  Just need the fish to turn on!!

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #57 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:35 AM »
 Highlander, Smelting can be a hit or miss thing. I can see it being difficult when you live that far away.  GOOD LUCK TO YA MAN !!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:40 AM »
thought that was you. welcome to the site. what did you get for a FF (fishfinder)?

Offline BrendanParker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Heading back to Sonnys in the morning to hit the incomming...let ya'll know!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.