The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Springfield Setback  (Read 2462 times)

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Springfield Setback
« on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:02 AM »
The fishing has slowed down at the setback.  Those of you that fish there i'm sure are aware of that.  My thoughts are that there is way too much traffic out there.  There is a ton of noise between the augers and wheelers and such.  It is also packed this year with fish houses, more than I have seen in 3 years.  The other day I had someone yell at me for drilling a hole where there was already a hole but that had used their 4-wheeler to plow out lanes for their jacks, which surprised me because everyone has been really pleasant down there so far.  All i'm saying if that if we all have other places to fish I think we would benefit later on in the season.  Give it a little break. Good Luck out there
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline vticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Springfield Setback
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:30 PM »
The other day I had someone yell at me for drilling a hole where there was already a hole but that had used their 4-wheeler to plow out lanes for their jacks.

oh yes, the setback!!  YOU GOT TO LOVE IT! i noticed also how this year it turned into a little city out there. can't wait to get out there this weekend and find those plow lanes for my jacks ;D
i hope they at least cleared room for my pop up ::)
they think they own the ice, ya right!! let them say something to me and i'll get some jigging friends and drill 200 holes in the area!!

Offline bluetickchick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:00 PM »
wow... planning a trip out that way in Feb.  used to fish it all the time with my father growing up.  moved out to upstate NY about 5 years ago.  wanted to show the boyfriend where i used to fish. was hoping for a good bite.  pretty sure it will be hard to get into the two places we used to fish with all those people.  i remember there maybe being about 12 bobhouses out there when i was a kid... few people just sitting on buckets jigging... normally not many wheelers and such either but that was about 10 years ago. guess things sure do change.  well i can only hope for the best i guess.  got a little pop up shanty with us so i guess being mobile will be good.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline vticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:59 PM »
well with people loosing jobs and gas prices climbing and the price of bait, it could be worse!! :-\

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Well If you are the guy in the blue out there off the brown shanty in the center working the rigs with the flasher. I think the locals are getting a little grumpy with the number of limits you are taking out of there while their fishing is slowing down. At least that is what they were saying to me as I was pulling off last week. Not trying to start anything, just letting you know what I was hearing about a guy who hammers them just about everytime out. If I am speaking or thinking of someone else I am sorry.

Offline vticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:42 PM »
thats not me but i know who your talking about. locals are only getting pist because they are fishing for pike,walleye and bass and not catching anything. they sit in one place all day long. the guy in blue, several friends of mine and myself included all have flashers and we move all over. drilling many holes just to find one or two here and there. we are there to fish, not to get drunk,bbq and catch up with old friends. i wonder what the locals would say if they found out that come spring and summer time we come off that river with our limit of walleye almost every time :o

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:32 AM »
Well If you are the guy in the blue out there off the brown shanty in the center working the rigs with the flasher. I think the locals are getting a little grumpy with the number of limits you are taking out of there while their fishing is slowing down. At least that is what they were saying to me as I was pulling off last week. Not trying to start anything, just letting you know what I was hearing about a guy who hammers them just about everytime out. If I am speaking or thinking of someone else I am sorry.
I think he's talking about me, actually i'm sure he is.  I think it's funny that people think I have been catching a limit every time, I'm actually flattered.  I haven't got a limit yet this year, and I try to stay out of everyones buisness.  As far as I am concerned I am a local, i'm there just as much, but not anymore.  I'll have to remember this when the jack guys come looking for shinners for pike bait, nope haven't got a single one!
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:19 AM »
The setbacks around bellows falls have slowed down quite a bit also. Even the setbacks with no shanties the fishing has slowed down. I have not caught a perch in the last 3 weekends. Before that on early ice we realy did ok on perch. Right now all we can catch are pickerel. As far as people owning the ice its first come first serve baby. If i get there and someone is where I want to fish oh well, should have gotten up earlier!
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Hey I think you feed me when i'm there right?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:02 AM »
The slow down I think is the usual after first ice down turn, when the dumb resident fish have been culled out and now we are waiting for the waves of fresh fish to come from the main river. Now is time to keep an eye on when they are drawing down water and when they aren't. Before we know it late ice hits...  ;)

One of the reason I use a fish trap or a portable shanty of some sort and two buckets... no ones business what I am catching except my wife and the game warden if he asks. Ice fishing has become a more technical game and the finer presentations and electronic sometimes is the difference between a slow day and a good day.... speaking of those dink shiners... they were making me crasy the other day. Tap tap tap... dang I missed another one. I did have one pike that cleaned me off on my dead stick rod with a smaller shiner on for my perch set ups. Great way to keep an eye on the perch movement when you are by yourself.

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:31 AM »
How has the bite been down at roundies?

Offline lemdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2011, 02:12 PM »
I think he's talking about me, actually i'm sure he is.  I think it's funny that people think I have been catching a limit every time, I'm actually flattered.  I haven't got a limit yet this year, and I try to stay out of everyones buisness.  As far as I am concerned I am a local, i'm there just as much, but not anymore.  I'll have to remember this when the jack guys come looking for shinners for pike bait, nope haven't got a single one!
Power to ya rboot!!  Fisherman can be a jealous bunch.

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:55 PM »
:'(

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:15 PM »
You guys are funny. I couldn't care less how many fish he is catching. Rboot comes on here and makes a statement that guys are complaining about him fishing around them... don't you think he deserves to know why they are given such a hard time. When I saw( the blue suited guy and woman/girl) out there he came in with his GPS saw his numbers fell within a string and asked the guy if he could punch some holes. Not sure what happened but they didn't move in till after the guy picked up his sets and left. For myself, I had dinner caught and left earily. Ran into a guy in the parking lot who was crying about that guy in blue. I have no issue with Rboot. Nice perch for the Master Angler by the why Rboot.   

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Let them fry ice!!!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:33 AM »
If they'ed just pay attention to fishin ........Don't believe you're going to catch all the fish in the river !!!! Enjoy   :flex:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:35 AM »
Let them fry ice!!!
By the way...what temp do you fry ice @ !!!!   I'm hungry !  :roflmao:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:04 AM »
I'm not worried, if they want to catch fish we can stay away and see if that helps. . . . . .
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:33 AM »
I guess the locals are still grumpy and are now calling in reinforcements.  FYI make sure you never give any fish away, they count towards your limit!
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:21 AM »
is the fishn still dead over there????

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:58 AM »
I guess the locals are still grumpy and are now calling in reinforcements.  FYI make sure you never give any fish away, they count towards your limit!

It really P%%$es me off how people think they own the ice. You would think the locals would know how to catch the fish by now if they have fished there for so long. Keep catching em rboot!

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Ha - we don't know pressure here in vt -; go to MN and look at the lakes in winter adn this is what you see

Looks like fun

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:18 AM »
 ;D Where's Waldo?  ;D

Offline spikehorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:27 PM »
 Zero degrees this morning at 7:30 at Hoyts in Springfield. Three guys fishing. One asked me if I had ever caught a sucker there, I said I had never seen one caught there under the ice.  He had about a 3 lb sucker in his pail along with about a 1Lb crappie. I asked him if he had seen the Iceshanty.com  forum and he said he had and he was probably the one in blue you guys were talking about  ;D I said I had no idea because there are three or four who have the blue outfits. The fishing is not too fast.
  If I had never been down to the setback fishing I think you would have done a good job of sending me somewhere else. My wife and I have had a shanty down there for about 7 years and had a portable before that. We do not go down every week and some weeks not at all. We've never had any confrontations with any one. We love to visit with everybody and as many people who visit us leads me to believe they enjoy talking to us. I was very appreciative of Roger plowing out the path when the water was 6"deep on the ice under the snow. If you tried walking off the road you know what I mean. Now the surface is icy all over and there isn't a problem. I spent most of the morning trying to figure out who were the locals? The addresses on the Shantys are as far away as Ringe NH. It really doesn't matter to me but it does sound like there's something bad about the locals. I believe I've met many of you and everyone I've met are very cordial but reading this forum makes me wonder. So far I've enjoyed my time on the river and I will continue to go.  The day I stop enjoying it I will not go.
Catch all you can, enjoy what you take. See you on the river.
Wayne

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:33 PM »

Heard about that from Hinkydo.  I would fight that to  the bitter end and in the court , I would prevail.  If I was fishing with my son.... and I gave him a crappie after I caught my limit.  They say I can't do it.  I would win that one with ease.

Spike

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:58 PM »
I don't have to fight anything.  They could not proove how many fish I gave away. So muchfor trying to be nice.  but it's interesting how alot of locals have not been there.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:49 PM »
well im local and havent been just cause its slow and there are better places,it is convienent and close but been slow...for me neways....this late in the season is usally slow there

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:18 AM »
Rboot - former neighbor from meadowcrest, what a riot the locals concerned by
your skill level and ability to take a limit every time out. Locals & fish fear you
sounds like your at the top of your game...   ;)

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:27 AM »
 rboot, nice meeting you at the setback. Learned alot from the info you gave me. On thurs 2-24 I got afew more crappies.
 My buddies and me got out in the big snow at Resuce on fri 2-25 not many fish but lots of snow.
 Got back to upstate N.Y. sat afternoon.
 Anytime you get in my neck of the woods look me up, you got my card, we'll do some of my type fishing.

Thanks again !!!!!!!  hinkydo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.