Author Topic: Fishing Line Suggestions?  (Read 4697 times)

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
Re: Fishing Line Suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2011, 03:11 AM »
big fan of PLine...i use the 3#.  tried the 2# and thought it was a lot lighter test than their 3#.  2# stren gold is pretty good and pretty easy to see.  i normally use fireline crystal or power pro blue with a 18" leader so i can see my line since i 99% of the time tight line.  the stealthy thin leader can be tricky to tie when the fingers are cold tho...guess thats why i have a ton of rods with me.
]

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 04, 2011, 03:27 PM »
I use the stren gold with about a three foot leader of Crystle.
Shut up and fish.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Stren Hi-Vis gold, 2lb. and 4lb. test. I'm a line watcher, use a clear mono leader of the same test line.

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #33 on: Nov 04, 2011, 08:54 PM »
I'm fishing three different lines right now, the first is fireline Crystal in 1lb, thus far I love it.  I've read where people have had nothing but problems with it, and I've yet to experience one bad thing about it.  I don't have problems with it freezing on the reel, I don't have coil problems, I don't have problems with twist or freezing in the guides or spring bobber.  Keeping in mind that I fish mostly outside, I simply don't get the outcry of people hating the line.
I have used the 2lb ice fishing and I HATE it.  It coiled and was way too stiff to use with light jigs.  I used it outdoors and in a shack.  I even tried it this spring and summer.  Figured maybe it would soften up like power pro does...wrong.  stuff is still stiff as a board and it doesn't cast worth a damn.  I'm glad you like it Hooligan, I wish I had the same results cause I love braid and paid a lot for the stuff. 

I prefer floro, mono seems to freeze or otherwise stiffen up more in the cold (standard stren).  I use standard Vanish in 2lb.  This year I picked up P-line 2 lb.  I will give the ice lines a try this year (bionic, micro-ice, etc.)
I'm cold and I like it

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 04, 2011, 09:07 PM »
10# fireline crystal for eyes and whitefish ( love it) :)
4# fireline crystal on one rod for perch (like it) :)
4# p-line floroclear on two rods for perch ( love this line alot!!) ;D

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:26 PM »
i love Trilene ice, i fish 4-5 days a week and catch ALOT  of perch, crappie, and gills on it. i have landed bass up to the 5 lbs range a few times and also got a few 24-26 inch pickeral on it, but the pickeral cut it often. i use 2 lbs but the line strangth all comes down to your rod and the drag on your reel. the lighter the line the lighter the rod/drag needs to be. i have not had ANY problems with the line freezin on the reel. on my light rod the tip in a little small and it will freeze on the cold days. i am on the ice here in New York on the coldest days every year. i also fish marrakoos jigs and it lays straight down to the jigs for me with ease.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:52 AM »
I have always had good luck with 4 and 6 lb micro ice.  this year I have strung all my poles with fireline 4, 6, &8 lb.  Its a smaller diameter so Im hoping it gives a better feel also.

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2011, 05:59 PM »
All i do is use a 4 or 6 pound regular mono like trilene XL as backer then spool on about 30 yards of fluorocarbon because thats the only part that is ever in the water since the deepest i ever fish is 30 feet. There is the slimmest of chances that i ever even get to the knot between the mono and fluorocarbon. A lot cheaper than spooling your whole reel with ice line

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:20 AM »
2lb ASSO Ice Heavy floro in brown color was superb last winter.

Very good stuff!

Tell me....how can a brown coloured fluorocarbon line become invisible under water????

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #39 on: Nov 27, 2011, 03:32 AM »
Tell me....how can a brown coloured fluorocarbon line become invisible under water????
I don't know but I ordered a spool of 3 & 2 lb.  Often the lakes I fish have a tea color to them so I figure brown will be pretty transparen.  Kinda like red line disappearing.  Plus the brown should show good on the ice.
]

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 27, 2011, 10:09 AM »

Like Ryno I fish dark water that is green/brown, so it blends well in that situation.

The 2lb test is pretty faint colored as a single strand. I just thought it was more user friendly (no coiling/limber) than other line I tried.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #41 on: Nov 28, 2011, 02:40 AM »
Shhhhh...that 2# ASSO Ice Heavy brown line is a great secret line for tough bite situation.  ;)

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:37 AM »
Shhhhh...that 2# ASSO Ice Heavy brown line is a great secret line for tough bite situation.  ;)

Oh, whooops! LOL
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.