Author Topic: Fishing Line Suggestions?  (Read 4699 times)

Offline benny4117

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
Fishing Line Suggestions?
« on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Started ice fishing few years ago and still learning as i go....i need to replace my line on my jigging rods and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?  Also what lb.test do most ice fishing rods come with/ or what is general avg lb test line for ice fishing?

Help greatly appreciated

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing Line Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:59 PM »
 I just started using Trilene XL in 4 LB for my perch rods and love the way the line pays out of my spinning reels by itself without me pulling the line out like with the stren magnathin I was using . Inexpensive line also.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Average is 4# for ice fishing.  If you're unsure, I would say Trilene Microice is a good start. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline benny4117

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:19 AM »
Thanks for the help!

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:55 PM »
Stay away from the vicious ice lines. I unspooled my reels because it had horrible memory issues, line twist, and poor strength. I respooled with Trilene micro ice. Not bad for the price$

Offline benny4117

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Thnx rayfish......can i ask what lb test line you use as well?

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:12 AM »
For what's worth I would recommend Stren HiVis Gold, 2# for 'gills, 4# for perch, with small barrel swivels and florocarben leaders of the same strength, 2 to 3 feet in length.  The main line is really visible above the ice and aids in seeing bites, the floro leaders are minimally visible to the fish

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2011, 12:53 AM »
Thnx rayfish......can i ask what lb test line you use as well?

Well out of all the lines Ive been experimenting with, I really like the 3lb test Trilene Micro Ice (mono) in clear steel grey.

Im no pro at jigging though....
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2011, 06:07 AM »
I love the gold stren thats all I use 4#

Offline Sam Quint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:00 PM »
i like the trilene micro ice in 4lb .if the waters clear your can always add a 2 or 3 lb fluorocarbon leader

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2011, 11:58 PM »
I'm fishing three different lines right now, the first is fireline Crystal in 1lb, thus far I love it.  I've read where people have had nothing but problems with it, and I've yet to experience one bad thing about it.  I don't have problems with it freezing on the reel, I don't have coil problems, I don't have problems with twist or freezing in the guides or spring bobber.  Keeping in mind that I fish mostly outside, I simply don't get the outcry of people hating the line. 
The second line that I've been giving a shot is the Suffix Ice Magic in 2lb.  Again, no problem with the line, tiny jigs pull it straight with no problem, it does very well with small jigs, hali jigs, and does not twist much.  It's been reasonably durable, thus far, not having problems with abrasion, it's got good knot strength and has been doing decent fishing outside.
The third is Berkley Micro Ice.  I'm fishing it in 1lb, 2lb, and 3lb in clear steel.  I've fished this line for a couple years in late open and early open water with good success.  It's a sort of stand-by in terms of reliability.  It has all the best properties of Trilene XL, with a reduction in diameter and availability in lower pound test.  I've been happy with it for sure.  It lacks knot strength, regardless of the knot you use, which is why I usually use a perfection loop with it.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Fireline Micro to anyone.  It's got a great feel for running tiny jigs, pair it with a sensitive rod, and you get an unequaled feel.  Pair that with your Vex and you're not going to be missing many fish.  I've been very happy with it, and will continue to use it.

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:31 PM »
i didnt read all of the replies on this so maybe i am repeating someone elses but stay away from red line. I have 6 poles with different colors on each pole and did my own little "survey".and used very same jig on red line as i did on micro ice line , no bites or lookers on the red line and caught 2 on other.(holes were about 1 ft apart) but thats just my little experiment I use micro ice 3# on everything now. I go with 3# and set drag a little lower to make up for it. BUT thats just my opinion , i may be wrong.
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline benny4117

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:26 AM »
Yeah the pole i bought a few yrs back has red line on it and was wondering if that makes a difference

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:09 AM »
it's just my opinion but red line is junk.   the only thing good about it are that if you use a camera you can drop it down anywhere and just turn cam until you see your line and tying jigs on is easier because you can see it better
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2011, 01:19 PM »
I like to use clear Trilene XL.  I prefer 2# when using smaller sized jigs, 4# is a good average size.

Offline benny4117

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:34 PM »
i like the trilene micro ice in 4lb .if the waters clear your can always add a 2 or 3 lb fluorocarbon leader

How long do you typically make the leader when ice fishing?

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Dont know about ice fishing, but in the summer, I'll use 6 ft of flouro leader so i dont have do rety a knot every other time I change lures...

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Trilene micro ice 2lb or 4lb in clear steel for shallow water, 1 lb. fireline w/ a 4ft leader of 2lb or 4lb flouro for deeper water

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2011, 10:28 PM »
P-Line fluoroice in 2, 3, and 4 lb test depending on species.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2011, 10:30 PM »
I've had good luck with the micro ice 2 lb but this year I stepped up to 3 lb cause I was losing too many jigs to stupid largemouth. I second the hate for red line. Red hooks are another story but I don't like red line. I've read other threads that state that "ice line" is merely a packaging issue and the line is identical to regular mono. I use the micro ice in the blue color to see a little better above my hole but it seems to disappear in the water.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2011, 02:50 AM »
Wow, I actually had a pretty good season last year, using red on most of my rods, but I bought it more for me to see easier. Didn't matter, still hard to see. I already spooled up with Micro ice steel on my main rods. What I need is black 2lb mono, so I can see it to tie it.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:11 AM »
I like the microice in 3lb. also with a 3 ft. Leader of 2lb. Tied to a microswivel. Keep an eye on the leader material and retie occasionally, especially after a bass or pickerel say hello!

surflizard

« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:12 AM »
I was finally able to get a hold of the Gamma ESP and the Gamma Fluoro ice, I have always had great luck with Gamma !

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:26 AM »
2lb ASSO Ice Heavy floro in brown color was superb last winter.

Very good stuff!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Im a big fan of the 2-6 pound P-line.. Also I tried the new Lindy ice line last winter and was pleased with it, going to try it again this year on a couple rods to see how it holds up long term.

"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2011, 01:56 PM »
ASSO Micron 3 in 2#, Vanish isn't bad in the fairly common category. Just tie on twice the normal depth that you fish and you'll be set for the winter, the old/rest is backing to fill the spool and it doesn't matter what it is.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Red line or yellow line for these old eyes. Every thing else is for the young.JMO.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Used P-Line FluroIce the past few seasons, a big fan of it, couldn't find any this year so i'm giving the new Berkley Trilene Fluorcarbon Ice a try.  I use 4lb on most rigs, but I picked up a 2lb spool for my perching rod and 6lb for my heavier jigging rod.

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:07 PM »
I like the PLine also. I use 2, 4 and 6lb clear.
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline Bugtussle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Last winter I tried the orange Sufix Ice in 3#.  Liked it alot.  Also like the Stren Hi-Vis gold and P-Line CX.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.