Author Topic: Worms in Bang Lake Gills and Seeds  (Read 1243 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Worms in Bang Lake Gills and Seeds
« on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:52 AM »
Any body else finding worms in the gills and seeds? Just filleted up a mess of seeds and gills more than half of them had worms. I have never seen them in fish from Bangs before.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Worms in Bang Lake Gills and Seeds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:40 AM »
I have gotten into the gills and pumpkinseeds pretty good on a few trips to Bangs this year.  I would say 75% of the pumpkinseeds have had noticably visible grubs.  As for the gills, I have only found grubs in a couple.  I have not seen grubs in any of the crappie or perch.

People say they are harmless once cooked, but I will let those people eat the fish, just not my thing.  If the fish are to badly infested it is scraped, otherwise, I pick out the grubs and give the fish to my neighbors who are fine with cooking out the grubs.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline The Prizz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep on keeping on....
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:24 PM »
This is happening in my Aunt's pond with the bluegill so I looked into it a little. "THEY" say that the herons are carrying these larvae in thier mouths and when they get to the lake/pond for a drink of water, they release into the lake/pond. Supposedly, the worms are a snail parasite but will latch on to the fishes skin and burrow itself into the meat. Harmless when well cooked, but I say NO WAY JOSE!
May your fish be as big as your fish stories... Prizz

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:29 PM »
This is happening in my Aunt's pond with the bluegill so I looked into it a little. "THEY" say that the herons are carrying these larvae in thier mouths and when they get to the lake/pond for a drink of water, they release into the lake/pond. Supposedly, the worms are a snail parasite but will latch on to the fishes skin and burrow itself into the meat. Harmless when well cooked, but I say NO WAY JOSE!

I have researched it as well.  They say if you stock Redears (shellcrackers) it will help get rid of the problem.  On a big lake not so sure how much impact it would do, or how long it would take, but I would think with pond if you put enough in that it wouldn't take to long to get the problem under control.  The Redears also get much bigger and thicker than the bluegills, so much more fun.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:27 PM »
My buddies pond has them in the redears too!! I say if ya eliminate the transproter the problems will eventually go away!!!

Offline The Prizz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep on keeping on....
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:01 PM »
I agree Tbird! Some garlic broasted BLUE HERON sounds tasty right about now. However, good luck getting any meat off those scrawny legs!

Offline Ox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Are you guys just seeing the grubs from fish in Bangs or all over?  If so, where else in NW IL?
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:04 PM »
I dont fish Chicago but I can name about 7 farm ponds that have them.  The hennepin canal has some fish with them.  Haven't seen them in mautinos yet but there is not a lake there that has weed growth that has a good snail population either.

Offline The Prizz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep on keeping on....
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:07 AM »
Sorry I didn't get back to you last night FISHINGGENE, fell asleep early. Any word on results of Aunt Nancy's fish? Either give me a buzz tonight or send a message.

Offline fishingene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Prizz

with the water down parasite will be more prevalent.
it is what we talked about. I E-mailed the findings to you.
Was at my pet today. Yea Yea Yea!!!! fish on! PIle of crappies released
Biggest= 12. man was it snowing. hoping to get out wednesday after shoveling
for a few hours. Blizzard 2011

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.