Author Topic: fishing reports  (Read 15383 times)

Offline saskafishman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fish or perish
fishing reports
« on: Jan 03, 2005, 12:58 PM »
 I had a very succesfull day at broderick yesterday.  the pike were hitting very well on small to medium sized smelts . the largest fish for the day was around 8 pounds and there were lots in the 2-3 pound range . fished from 2-5 in the afternoon  and had around thirty hits between 3 guys .     saw a few perch on the fishcam but no walleye or whites.   
  has anyone been to diefenbaker yet this year?   I am anxious to get out there and try for some whites, walleyes and maybe some trout.   
  if there are any other reports for bradwell, blackstrap , brightwater, broderick , or dief that would be appreciated . thanks and good luck to all.

Offline fish nut

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fishing reports
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:47 PM »
fish nut here: Dief. has 4 inches of ice on it at the fish farm.
 white fish are good hitting but trout are slow.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:46 AM »
Blackstrap was slow on Sunday. Fished 10:30 - 2:30 and caught 1 Pike (8lbs). It hit a tip-up at right around 2:30 as I was packing up to leave. It was very slow. I only saw one other fish on the ice among the many people fishing and that was when I arrived. We fished in 4 - 20 feet of water and used a varitety of baits. The Pike hit at 10 feet swallowing a smelt. It was one of two hits on the day. We fished the tip of the North End.

PS: Everyone please take the time and post your fishing results (similar to the above). All the imformation is very useful and it would be very much appreaciated by all. Thanks.

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2005, 12:15 PM »
Went to blackstrap on sunday. Fished the north end from noon until about 2:30. Not even a bite. Very slow fishing but the sausage was good .

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2005, 01:18 PM »
Was a Blackstrap on Sat and Sun.  Sat. morning was very slow but the afternoon was good. Although we didn't hole many fish we had lots of hits from Pike and Walleye. Biggest Pike we had on was about 12 to 14 lbs but lost it.  Saw some big walleye 4 to 5lbs.  Kept enough Pike for supper.

Sunday was very slow, got one 2lb Walleye and didn't even see any Pike.

We're set up on the reef in front of Sheilds. 8 ft of water.

using minnows and large smelts.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline saskafishman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fish or perish
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2005, 05:27 PM »
  we fished diefenbaker , at the trout farm on sunday.   the ice was barely  12 inches out where all the  shacks were in 40 feet of water. had a camera and saw hundreds of -whites . caught a bunch  on paste.   probably fifty whites between every one out there on the ice some very large ( 8-9 lbs )    did not see any other species on the camera . the guys that  were fishing closer to shore saw some fish but did not catch the numbers of the guys in forty feet of water. I think this will be my last time fishing the farm as I have so much better luck on the north end and i find a way better variety of fish .   in cautou ( spelling???) bay I know there are great numbers of walleye, perch, pike, trout , burbot, whites and other fish and it is just a matter of refining your presentation and finding the right depth for the species you are after.
   I know some people  believe that fish populations are down ,but looking down in the depths and seeing so many fish everywhere you go ( including walleye) on the lake  makes me believe the reports of diefenbakers death is premature.  I really do believe it is such a hard lake to figure out and it changes so rapidly , the average angler only really has a few great days a year on the lake ( including myself ) .
  I hope we can get some more reports from dief not just from the farm .   I have seen more trout and larger trout come from cautou and from the easter bays near the north end that I have ever seen from the farm . also the walleye can be spectacular in cautou ( including ice fishing ) .

I hope everyone has great days out and keeps on reporting . thanks, saskafishman.
 p.s. I am really curious to see if brightwater ( hanlet reservir ) is still as good as it was in the eighties.  I am really itching to find some perch.   

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2005, 02:15 PM »
We were still catching pickerel at Mission on Sunday but froze out cans off and got stuck too. It took a little while to get on the fish because it's one of those spots that if you're off by 50 yds you just won't catch 'em.  My advice is get some videos and stock up on comfort food to last through the blizzard and ensuing cold snap then get out and hammer them next week! :D
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2005, 11:50 AM »
My roomate hit the Strap on Wed.  Got two nice Pike to the hole but lost them both. Sure hope it picks up there soon.

Caught them both using large smelts and cisco's

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2005, 01:19 PM »
Apu?? do you only fish the strap or do you fish the resovoirs around it too? Like bradwell or hanley or broderick or any of them?

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Apu?? do you only fish the strap or do you fish the resovoirs around it too? Like bradwell or hanley or broderick or any of them?

I havn't fished the others for about 4 or 5 years.  I like going to Blackstrap, I believe there is a better chance of catching bigger fish. We have seen many nice Pike and Walleye this year, now we just have to figure out a way to get them buggers up the dam hole. I have never lost so many fish right at the hole until this year. :'(

Oh ya, we built an 8x8 shanty for the strap so even on these -30 day's a guy can still get out there.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2005, 05:11 PM »
fished waterhen yesterday in -40, acutally fishing wasn't too bad had about 10 flags in 2hrs or so got 6 on the ice biggest was maybe 9lbs or so a 32". hopefully they are still biting when it finally warms up.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline BigLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2005, 09:36 PM »
Fished Blackstrap last Sat.  landed two pike.  a 5.5 lb and my son landed an 18 lber!!!  Nothing was biting until the afternoon.  Didn't see a fish on the camera all morning.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2005, 08:14 AM »
I here Waterhen is awesome in march.  Might have to head up ther for a weekend.

BigLunker,   I don't even go out until noon now, haven't caught a fish in the AM yet this year.  Nice 18#, your boy must have been excited.

Offline BigLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2005, 09:38 AM »
BigLunker,   I don't even go out until noon now, haven't caught a fish in the AM yet this year.  Nice 18#, your boy must have been excited.

Yah, the boy was pretty pumped.  He's starting to rub it in to Dad though as last year he landed a 14 lber and 23.5 lber as well. ;)

Totally agree with you (for now) that you might as well sleep in, have a good breakfast, and check the gear before heading out.  The last few times out, we have had nothing till noon and then you can start setting your watch for 2:30 and 4:00.

Going to have to do an overnighter to see if day break can produce anything but that will have to wait for awhile in order to let the mercury rise a bit.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2005, 10:51 AM »
BigLunker,  That is the same time  we get our bites too.  Where abouts you fishin?

We are set up on the reef in front of Sheilds in about 8ft of water.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2005, 11:11 AM »
last march was about the worst i have ever experienced on waterhen and this seems to be the  consensus for last year there, but maybe this year march will turn out better, if not i guess i'll be perch and splake fishing this march instead.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline BigLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2005, 03:13 PM »
BigLunker,  That is the same time  we get our bites too.  Where abouts you fishin?

We are set up on the reef in front of Sheilds in about 8ft of water.

We're at the North end.  Usually send tip-outs out from 6-14 feet and WAIT for action.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2005, 06:31 PM »
was out at blackstrap today, only caught 1 fish 3lb walleye, i think that i am done at that lake for the rest of the year as i am finding it a waste of time and gas. Heading up to anglin for a solid weekend of fishing next weekend and then staying in Prince Albert all week and fishing around in there.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:51 AM »
Spicoli, frustrating isn't it (the strap) >:(

We were out there on sat and sun and only caught 1 5lb pike. We must have seen 10 to 15 pike and 2 Walleye yesterday but they are really not bitting. I had 5 hits on my tip-up with a 8" herring and a pike rig but failed to "hole" a fish. The c/o's checked us and said that know one is catching a damn thing so that made me feel a little better. I think when they start bitting it will be really good as the fish are down there. Lots of people are moving around but I don't think it matters right now.
One good thing, on sat we had a school of small perch come through, haven't seen that yet this year.

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2005, 04:36 PM »
hey apu garcia
I would like to know proximately where u where fishing on the reef in front of shields town.  like give me a location to look for on the shore line if u do not mind.  would like to see a walleye through the ice.  I usually fish the creek mouth.  caught a few pike there this year the biggest being 13lbs.  Going tomorrow again

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2005, 07:09 PM »
When i talked to the c/o on sunday he told me that there was some walleye being caught by shields, and nothing anywhere else.

Offline BigLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:19 PM »
Was out at Blackstrap on Sat.  What a waste of time.  There were periods when we couldn't see our tip-ups because it was so blizzarding.  Must have had a nice one on the line as when I went to set the hook, the fish took off and busted my leader.

Did see a pike on the camera that was all hunched up.  That was weird.  Anyone seen that before or know what's up?

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:09 AM »
whitetip,  we have been very mobile so far this year, the Walleye that we have caught were at the south end of shields between the last cabin and the blue pumphouse. We have seen them all along the reef in about 8 to 10 ft of water.

Good luck!!! :tipup:

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:52 AM »
Thank APU GARCIA, i will give it a chance again.  Italked to few other people and they say that the reef runs from one end to the other end of shields town but thanks again for the info

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2005, 02:07 PM »
BigLunker,
 I have seen that type of fish before. I a pike like the way you describe on a fishing program. The fish had a badly damaged back at one time when it was young. As it grew, one one side grew a bit faster than the other thus causing a kink in the back, this fish was at a 90 degree angel, it is amazing that it even could swim straight enough to catch food, or hit a lure.
Good Fishing   8)

Water Wolf

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2005, 08:02 PM »
Was out at anglin today, and fishing was really slow, caught some perch and pike, but the pickeral aren't biting, fishing isn't half as good as last year... partial winter kill maybe????

Offline BigLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2005, 10:12 PM »
Hey Spicoli,

Would you say you had better luck at Anglin than Blackstrap?

We have been out at the Strap fairly regular since Dec. and I think things are picking up.  We were out Fri. and Sat with our best luck Fri am and Sat pm.  I even landed two pike on my "Windlass" tip-up on Sat.  I usually don't have good luck with it.

A friend of mine was out to the Strap today (Sun) and landed a 23 lber!!!

Still not seeing many perch but have seen a few whites.  Anyone catching whites??

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2005, 12:36 PM »
Big Lunker: Where are you having your luck on the Strap? We are at the North End and having very little. We are thinking of moving the shack this week. Any info would MUCH apreciated.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2005, 03:33 PM »
I would say forsure that i still have much better fishing at anglin compared to the strap

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:03 PM »
Had a very slow weekend at the Strap.  Caught one 5lb pike on Sat. and skunked on Sun.   We had around 8 hits on the windless tip-ups using a 8" herring but failed to "hole" a fish again.  Saw lots of very small perch on Sat. ( 3" - 4" long )

We're moving next weekend >:( >:( >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.