Author Topic: Fishin Buddy 1200 vs. Vex  (Read 5034 times)

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishin Buddy 1200 vs. Vex
« on: Jan 03, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Hi All,

I own a Fishin Buddy 1200 and it's a pretty useless piece of equipment in shallow water (<20').  A good depth finder but that's about it.  I almost always fish in less than 20' of water and can see my jig very well usually.  So here's the question: the Fishin Buddy 1200 projects about a 9 degree beam, not including sidelobes, and that translates to a "viewing window" of about 1/5 of the depth or range.  The specs on the Vex are about the same (9 or 12 degree beam) so what makes the Vex so much better?  Does it have superior filtering algorithms?  Better interpretation of the sidelobes? 

I haven't completely bought in to fish finders yet and only spent $99 on my refurbished Fishin Buddy 1200 from Cabelas.  What am I going to get in terms of visual/sensual feedback that's better for the extra money (besides the anticiapter "more fish!" answers!)

Thanks in advance!
jerry

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Fishin Buddy 1200 vs. Vex
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2005, 12:04 PM »
vex is real time and no lcd screen to slow up and freeze at 0 or below. 
If you got that clear of water I'd just sight fish all the time.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2005, 02:20 PM »
vex is real time

so you are saying a lcd is not?  :-\

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2005, 02:52 PM »
I hear ya Van. I came real close to plinking down 400 bones for a vex yesterday, before coming to my senses and deciding that my Eagle works just fine.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2005, 03:14 PM »
esp. when its cold and slow to refresh as mud.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2005, 03:22 PM »
The new FL18s have the bottem 6` zoom and you can get  a transom mount and use it on your boat! Its also very durable. Just my oppinion
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2005, 03:43 PM »
There is a big difference. A vex is very fast readout, intantanous, no delay in the signal movements, which alot of LCD unit do have.A Vexilar can pick up a walleye laying dead flat on the bottom of a lake, on a boat zooming 40MPH!, thats how fast and realtime it is. A vex is 3 color, which just dosnt tell you a fish is in the cone signal, but whereabouts in the cone. Red signal means its on your bait! The 3 color is also used to seprate signals, such a group of fish displayed. A Vexilar wont turn black on the display on the coldest of days. New vexs have self leveling transducer cones. Vex will run 16 hours straight with a fully charged battery, FL-18 will zoom in on the bottom 6 feet giving you incredible detail and target seperation. Vexilar has fast adjustable signal gaining, rotate a knob, no menus to go through to fine tune which is important if your in a hot bite, and switch baits/lures and need to readjust. It is why it remains the top selling ice sonar unit, used by more pros on the ICE TEAM Circuit, as well as other circuits. Its something you have to experience, and play with to really see the difference. Not fishing with some sort of sonar really does limit your fish catching, how do you know what depth the fish is holding without one? With flasher type units, you line up your jig signal, with the fish signal and its game on. No they dont always slam a lure/bait, there mood dictates that as well as your presenation.

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Hi Fish Deep,

Hey thanks for the info on the FL18 - that was the unit I was considering.  The Fishin Buddy 1200 will tell me where the fish is 'in the cone' but there is a delay.  I've used it for about 2 seasons and my experience is that the fish have already swam through the cone by the time it alerts me.  So the fast update rate of the Vex FL18 would allow me to sit back and stretch instead of continuously poking my head down the hole.  But in my clear water conditions I'm not yet convinced that the Vex is worth the extra money.  I appreciate all the opinions and think that I'll try to rent a Vex for a long weekend and fiddle with it.  Experience is the best teacher!

Jerry

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:04 AM »
There is a big difference. A vex is very fast readout, intantanous, no delay in the signal movements, which alot of LCD unit do have.A Vexilar can pick up a walleye laying dead flat on the bottom of a lake, on a boat zooming 40MPH!, thats how fast and realtime it is. A vex is 3 color, which just dosnt tell you a fish is in the cone signal, but whereabouts in the cone. Red signal means its on your bait! The 3 color is also used to seprate signals, such a group of fish displayed. A Vexilar wont turn black on the display on the coldest of days. New vexs have self leveling transducer cones. Vex will run 16 hours straight with a fully charged battery, FL-18 will zoom in on the bottom 6 feet giving you incredible detail and target seperation. Vexilar has fast adjustable signal gaining, rotate a knob, no menus to go through to fine tune which is important if your in a hot bite, and switch baits/lures and need to readjust. It is why it remains the top selling ice sonar unit, used by more pros on the ICE TEAM Circuit, as well as other circuits. Its something you have to experience, and play with to really see the difference. Not fishing with some sort of sonar really does limit your fish catching, how do you know what depth the fish is holding without one? With flasher type units, you line up your jig signal, with the fish signal and its game on. No they dont always slam a lure/bait, there mood dictates that as well as your presenation.

Part time job at Vexilar?

Anyways, all I'm saying is if you have a LCD it will work. Fished last week with a buddy with a FL18 and he would see the same crap as I would on the fish finder and yes I can also zoom in to the botoom six feet as well. I'm not saying a LCD is better, all I'm sayn' is if you have a LCD it will work in a pinch. If you don't have the cash to buy a flasher a LCD fish finder will work.

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2005, 06:44 PM »
I just sent my fIshing Buddy 1200 back today to cabela's and ordered a Vexilar FL18 Pro pack. 

Fishing buddy was worthless!

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2005, 08:34 PM »
no not a part time for vexilar, although that would be nice. Just my personal experience with the unit, Id almost be willing to bet you ask any other FL-18 owner the same, youd probably get similar answers.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2005, 06:55 AM »
I have a Colorpoint and unless the Vex is that much better I don't seem to appreciate a flasher as much as many here do. I use a Zercom LPG 2000 and it has a military grade screen that is rated to -20. Lately I have also used my Matrix 37,.the one with the quad beam. Not sure it can do as well in the cold but so far it has worked well.  Anyone consider the fact that the beam is much wider to see fish? Thinking about getting the "sidefinder" that is an option for these...Anyone use one?

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2005, 09:26 AM »
I just sent my fIshing Buddy 1200 back today to cabela's and ordered a Vexilar FL18 Pro pack. 

Fishing buddy was worthless!

How long ago did you buy yours from Cabelas?  I'd like to return mine as well.

Offline Fish-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winnebago and Lovin it
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2005, 11:31 AM »
I have a vex FL8 and like it. I also have an old green box flasher as well as a marcum unit. To be honest with you, the old green box works just as good as the expensive vex does. The only difference in the units is the color readout which is a nice feature. Right now vexilar must have a real big advertising budget. They are very popular and therefore extremely overpriced. The FL18 at almost $500 is a joke.
The Fish-A-Holic

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2005, 11:32 AM »
I bought it in Nov. of '03 and I didn't even have the original box.  They just looked it up under my account gave me a bunch of numbers and said send it back.

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2005, 02:17 PM »
Dwaytkus,

Thanks for the inspiration to return the Fishin' Buddy.  Like I said up top, I bought this unit refurbished.  It still has an intermittent power problem so I was going to return it anyway.  I did the 'live chat' with a Cabelas customer service rep and she took care of the return form for me and everything.  Then I went an ordered the Vex FL-8se Genz pack.  It was worth a shot. 

I should have done a little more research though.  I presume the Vex FL8 will give me depth as well?  Or does it just flash fish?  I'll find out soon enough...

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2005, 03:05 PM »
I prefer LCD units over flashers.  I've been in on several threads discussing the pros and cons of each, but the one thing that I always say is "It has to be a high end LCD unit.  The cheap ones aren't worth having."  In my opinion, the Fishing Buddy is the epitome of cheap LCD type fishfinders.  I wouldn't use one for an anchor.  They are the type of unit that gives LCD units a bad name.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2005, 05:30 PM »
I should have done a little more research though.  I presume the Vex FL8 will give me depth as well?  Or does it just flash fish?  I'll find out soon enough...

The Vex will show you the depth as well as bottom and fish.

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:06 AM »
Thanks Dwaytkus.  My FL-8sx probably won't be here today or tomorrow so we'll give a report next week!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:01 PM »
I hear ya Van. I came real close to plinking down 400 bones for a vex yesterday, before coming to my senses and deciding that my Eagle works just fine.

what eagle do you have?

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:05 PM »
I have a vex FL8 and like it. I also have an old green box flasher as well as a marcum unit. To be honest with you, the old green box works just as good as the expensive vex does. The only difference in the units is the color readout which is a nice feature. Right now vexilar must have a real big advertising budget. They are very popular and therefore extremely overpriced. The FL18 at almost $500 is a joke.

i was looking at them old green boxes on ebay can pick them up for next to nothing.  you say they work good huh?  can you see your jig in like 25' cause if i can see that bottom and fish thats all i need.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.