Author Topic: What Buddy Heater?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
What Buddy Heater?
« on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:45 AM »
I'm looking to buy a Mr. Buddy Heater.
I'm still up in the air on whether I want to buy the Buddy Jr. 3,800 heater or the 4,000-7 or 8,000 Mr. Heater.
I'm only looking to heat a Clam Nanook flip shelter....it's pretty small so I don't think I'll have a hard time heating it with the smaller heater. Plus I don't want it to get to warm in the shelter
Any advice on what heaters best? i
If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
Re: What Buddy Heater?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:55 AM »
If I were you I would get the Portable Buddy Heater w/ output for 4,000 or 9,000 BTUs. It is the middle version and not nearly as bulky as the Big Buddy Heater. I use the Portable Buddy & it puts out the perfect amount of heat on low and the high setting is great for those cold days. The JR. heater that puts out 3,800 BTUs, puts out a decent amount of heat but it is really unstable & for about $20.00 more you can get the 4,000-9,000 BTU model.

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Thanks...I was kind of leaning that way myself
If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Definitely the middle (4-9,000) I've got a trekker, which is about the same size, and it works great. I've also got a Big Buddy that I occasionally use with a 20 lb tank, but if I run it on high for about 2 minutes, it's so hot in there I can't stand it.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:17 PM »
go for the big buddy  circulation is great!   and ya can always turn the 18000 btu down   9000 doesnt hack it up here   BTW  I have both
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Thanks guys :) I ended up goin with the 4-9000....plan on usin it tomorrow.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Good Choice!  ;)

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Took mine out today Mr heater and it would not stay lit having it out in the open, I thought something was wrong but when I took it home it started right up with no problems, I guess the wind kept shutting it down. I just wanted to run it for a hand warmer but no luck

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Took mine out today Mr heater and it would not stay lit having it out in the open, I thought something was wrong but when I took it home it started right up with no problems, I guess the wind kept shutting it down. I just wanted to run it for a hand warmer but no luck

Yes, we have to realize that these propane heaters are based on the principle of an open flame and therefore quite at the mercy of the wind.

I have a Big Buddy which would likely be overkill for a flip-over. However I'm not sure the smallest Buddy would have sufficient heating capacity in extra cold and/or windy conditions.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2011, 11:53 AM »
the biggest problem with this type of heater is the built in safety devices!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:53 PM »
  :cookoo: :cookoo:
the biggest problem with this type of heater is the built in safety devices!!!!!!!!!!!!!
??? :cookoo: :cookoo:
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Big Buddy Heater...just for that one time when you need the extra heat or warming up really fast, but at the expense of using quite a bit of propane fuel.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:21 PM »
haha :cookoo:
This makes so much sense I can't even start to understand... wow...

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:38 PM »
haha :cookoo:
This makes so much sense I can't even start to understand... wow...

A shut down because of a bump is extremely annoying. Tipping on its side is one thing, but if I tap the heater with my foot I don't want it to shut down :/

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:45 PM »
A shut down because of a bump is extremely annoying. Tipping on its side is one thing, but if I tap the heater with my foot I don't want it to shut down :/
I understand that... but the safety features also include the lack of oxygen shut off. I wasn't quite sure what "the biggest problem with this type of heater is the built in safety devices!!" meant... & I still don't. If the heater didn't have the tip shut off, people would be complaining about it & same with the oxygen shut off...

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:55 AM »
I like to pack light and compact so I went with a Coleman Procat heater.  It's only 3,000 BTU rated, but gets over 6 hrs on a single bottle and heats my insulated Canvas Craft unit quite nicely.  I figured I could look at adding a second if the one unit proved insufficient, but I don't think that will be a problem except when the bottle is getting low and the output fades.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:25 PM »
 I started with a buddy heater and switched to the big buddy heater. I have a Trekker 2 and the buddy heater did okay but it needs a fan IMO. It would be the perfect size then. The big buddy with the fan is nice that you have the option to heat one side or both. I almost always do one side with the fan running. You get alot more of an even heat through the hut. With the buddy heater it would heat your back nice if it sat behind you but then the rest of the hut was cold,and just the opposite if the heater was in front. I put the big buddy in front of me towards the door and the fan delivers the heat nicely through the entire hut. I know it weighs more but on those cold windy days where it would be nice to have the extra heat the weight wont be a problem.
 Tight Lines!
  Matt

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Fellas, heater size recommendations would be easier if we knew where you were gonna be using it. IE.. Northern canada or Indiana? lol

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:46 AM »
Adirondacks, NY :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.