Author Topic: wnter kill again???  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Mr.walter walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
wnter kill again???
« on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:20 AM »
pelican lake looks like it may have another winter kill 1st one since 2003,they have stocked it with walleye since ,the guys down there just don't know where they are ,the thing is with all the snow,they have three cheap airators two witch don't work,what can we do as fishermen to stop letting so many lakes get winter kills

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: wnter kill again???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Short of donating money to the local group that wants to purchase more aerators.....nothing I can think of.
They've petitioned the Gov't for more funds but by the sounds of it there's a disagreement on both the amount of aerators required & whether they'd even save the lake in a bad year.
If you're not into donating money to the local group, maybe fire off a few letters to your local MLA & the various Gov't departments that oversee Conservation.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: winter kill again???
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:54 AM »
its just such a waste off 7 or 8 years off stocked walleye may go down the drain,I'm from wPG but my dads from Ninette, and with winter kills it takes  10 years to rebuild ,id give money but wheres is it going to pelican lake or provincial park lakes, cause its those  lakes that are not getting anymoney you never see a prov incail lake get a winter kill??

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:23 PM »
There's a local group, your dad should be able to find out who to contact & that way any money actually goes to Pelican.
Quite frankly I too(& many others) think it's all a waste of money; as I've stated on here numerous times. I don't think ANY amount of aerators will ever stop that lake from killing unless they somehow create a fresh water flow INTO & OUT OF the lake. I know they sort of tried that but with no great results; they only 1/2 did the job needed. It simply needs that fresh water coming in to keep the oxygen levels higher. Pelican is bad because every fall before there is even any ice, the oxygen level is much lower than most other lakes, hence it's already behind the 8 ball & the snow hasn't even started. You need to get the oxygen levels higher BEFORE winter starts. Trying to do something after the fact is futile.

Another tidbit many didn't know.....did you know that Pelican is actually deeper on average than Rock, yet Rock RARELY winter kills; only in a REAL severe winter. Reason: more fresh oxygenated water coming in(Rock is LOADED with springs).

In case no one has figured it out....I grew up in the area.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:37 PM »
what about the pembima river it goes in the lake

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Pembina River in that area pretty much only flows in the spring & REAL heavy rains; other times the flow is minimal.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:21 PM »
It is now dammed, to a point. Evidently there's now somewhat of a control device at the south end.
Like I said, very little to no flowing water.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:30 PM »
I should have added.....you could raise the lake 10' if you wanted, it wouldn't change the oxygen levels unless you have fresh water coming in. All you would be doing is adding 10' of oxygen depleted water, no change.

Offline Icelanderexpress

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:16 PM »
never fished this lake before, my buddy has a cabin out there, just wondering how the overall fishing is besides the winter kill :%$#!: :%$#!:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.