Author Topic: Who uses hub style shanty  (Read 1338 times)

Offline boo

• IceShanty Rookie
Who uses hub style shanty
« on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Im thinking about getting a hub style shanty, how many of you use them? are they easy to use and how do the ice picks work?
 Thanks for your help!!!
" Carpe Noctem"

Offline Hickory

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Who uses hub style shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:46 AM »
My buddy and I each got one this year and have been using them like crazy!  They are great; a bit tricky to set up in wind but not impossible.  I assume you mean ice screws when you say picks;  the screws work great, hold firm, its best to pound them with your palm to get them started and put them in on an angle.  Once you use the hub shack a couple times, take down and set up are a breeze!  The two brands here are clam and HT,  Clam have heavier materials throughout and better ventilation closures, HT is still sweet though!  Good luck if you get one!

Offline boo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Thanks for the info, the one Im looking at is the Clam Prospector!
" Carpe Noctem"

Offline JBrown31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:18 PM »
I have the Cabelas Ice Team 6x6 hub, which is exactly manufactured by Clam.  So far, I really like this shelter.  It's easy to transport and one you get the hang of it, set up is a breeze.  The ice screws work pretty well, too.  I start mine by hitting them with a hammer a couple times first.  All in all, it's not as mobile as a flip-over style shelter, but for the price and the weight it's a great shelter.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:21 PM »
I use a hub, pop up shanty as well as a flip over.  JBrown is right on the screws, i carry a rubber mallet and put in the screws on the windward side.  The corners and the center rope, thats about it.

Offline NorthSouthOhioFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:33 AM »
I have both and I don't know if its just me but take down of the hub . LOL I'd have to say I like a flip over better but the hub is good for more people.I fish three in my clam expedition
Youtube-"Fishing and Fun"

I have a beautiful permanent shanty for sale message me for more info!

Offline Infidel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:38 PM »
 I had a Clam Expidition for about 24 hrs.  It was very nice once I got it set up. Had a hard time getting the top to pop up on set up, then had a hard time folding it up on take down. Then I considered setting up in the wind and the cold. Took it back to Gander.
 A guy was out on the ice Sunday with an Expidition trying to fold it up, he had it flopped all around then finally it folded.

Offline frabillnator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:06 PM »
I just used my hub for the first time today and i loved it. i bought the cabelas 6x8 and had it set up in about a minute.Fished four guys out it was very comfortable.  The only bad thing i will say about the cabelas/clam are the ice screws, they do not go in as good as the eskimos, however, there is a special tool that clam has to use a power drill to drill them in faster. I plan on finding an old socket and cutting a slit down the sides and using that. But as previously mentioned make sure that you secure the corner in to the wind!! Other than that I think it was a great purchase (spent about 170 on it).

Offline Abel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:11 AM »
I got one, 6x6, like it.  As far as anchors, I refuse to pay what they want for ice anchors, it's just an eye bolt.  so I went to lowes, bought 10 Stainless eye bolts for half the price of 2 anchors.  They work great.  instead of buying the "tool" to put anchors in, I just use my good ole Dewalt and a drill bit.  Put them in at an angle just liek a tent stake, it doesn't budge.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:13 AM »
I DO!  ;D
I use the Cabela's 6x6 & it has been nothing but great. I just recently started using a CLAM 6x8 Summit Thermal & I like it as well...

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:16 AM »
I got an Eskimo QuickFish4, awesome. The ice screws are supposed to be the best of any style, and I agree from the few I've used. The biggest thing for me in a hub shack was the windows and doors. Mine has 8 windows and two doors. The lower windows are the perfect height for sitting and jigging.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.