Author Topic: Ugly out there today....perch search  (Read 1782 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Ugly out there today....perch search
« on: Jan 15, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Blueultra, slabgill, Abomb, his son, spring bobber and I went on a perch search today (read wild goose chase) on wawasee.  We fished from 12 to 30 foot, marked alot of fish, but could not get any consistent bite.  Of the 50 or so fish caught by all of us, only 2 were respectable fish:

The rest were dinks.  We (blue, spring, slabgill and I) left to try some crappies and gills at 10:30 to 12 and only managed 5 or 6 keeper gills.  Abomb and his son made the smart move and headed home at 10:30!

It was a rough bite for us today...hope everyone else did alot better!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ugly out there today....perch search
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:01 PM »
It was pretty rough my way too... windier than all get out.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:27 PM »
Time to regroup and start catching keeps again.... :tipup:

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:50 PM »

Let's do it!!

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Fishing Machine and i are thinking of making a trip over you guys way i live in monticello he loves in kentland we fish the slough alot and i fish a few private ponds here we do not have perch here so wanting to get on em what is the chance of hooking up with you guys next week probably the 21st i already know a-bomb is busy...............
Hardwater Maniacs Pro staff
CrappieZilla Ice Pro staff
Team Extrem Wisconsin Series Competitor

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:18 PM »
  not such a bad thing that I had to work today, dont worry fellas I know you can get back on track   ;)

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:43 PM »
I definitely know the feeling guys, I was on the perch search at the tourney today.  Must have caught 50 dinks not one was over 5".  But of course it only took a 9" to win it .  Wow a tough bite
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:57 PM »
this am was the first time in a long time i thought about not hitting the lake for perch due to wind. we walked out a channel (wind tunnel!!) and just stood there laughing at how stupid we were for going out further! if it was 13 or colder i would have opted out!

was a good day to get out despite putting 1.5 year old gas in my auger before the trip. ooops! it was from the chain saw can.

the rattler caught its first perch!! all 3 inches of it!!
Nice to get out for the first time in almost 3 weeks!

Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Fishing Machine and i are thinking of making a trip over you guys way i live in monticello he loves in kentland we fish the slough alot and i fish a few private ponds here we do not have perch here so wanting to get on em what is the chance of hooking up with you guys next week probably the 21st i already know a-bomb is busy...............

Have you seen the forecast for the 21st?  It's a high of 9 with a low of 5!!  Call me want you want but I'll be hiding inside waiting for Saturday morning.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Blueultra, slabgill, Abomb, his son, spring bobber and I went on a perch search today (read wild goose chase) on wawasee.  We fished from 12 to 30 foot, marked alot of fish, but could not get any consistent bite.  Of the 50 or so fish caught by all of us, only 2 were respectable fish:

(Image removed from quote.)

The rest were dinks.  We (blue, spring, slabgill and I) left to try some crappies and gills at 10:30 to 12 and only managed 5 or 6 keeper gills.  Abomb and his son made the smart move and headed home at 10:30!

It was a rough bite for us today...hope everyone else did alot better!
Fish on!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:17 PM »
That's Wawasee for you. Lots of water to chase them in.
Fish on!

Offline pikemaster34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Find fish, Catch fish, Eat fish
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Ya the bite was tough on George today caught 20 only 6 keepers

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:23 PM »
I pulled a good one today. I set out from north channel to the middle of Johnsons Bay. My friend who lives on north channel said there were tons of guys on the channel in the morning. When I got to the mouth of the channel there wasn't one person fishing. There was a guy coming out behind me.
I continued out to the spot where I caught a pike earlier in the week. A 4 wheeler with 2 guys on it came by, we traded notes and he set up nearby on a GPS spot that he had marked last fall.
I looked around for my holes but they were frozen over and snowed over. I looked around for my auger - OOPS!
It was back at the car leaning on the bumper.
I trudged back past the 4 wheeler who was setting up his shanty, all the way back to shore, down the channel, got my auger, put it on the sled and off to the races.
I decided to try new territory and drilled near the next channel to the south. Nobody fishes that channel, don't know why.
I looked for the drop off. After 8 holes I found it and drilled around. One tiny gill.
So off to the center of Johnsons Bay I went. By 5:30 I had caught 2 dink gills and had a small pike up to the hole before he shook off.
Thats ALL!!!!!!!!!! Long walk in.
Compared notes with my fishin buddy who was out there all morning and part of the afternoon fishing for gills and perch. A few barely keeper gills. And lots of cold wind and snow powder blowing around. I kinda get the feeling that the fish are on to us all.

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:38 PM »
Might have to agree.  Was at a lake today in northern Indiana.  Marked fish in EVERY hole i drilled.  Not one single taker!  So I headed north of the border and ended up catching a few on Long lake.

cjhbeeman

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Tell me about it. Went out to Fletcher Lake in Fulton Co. this afternoon. drilled too many holes to count and only caught 4 dink gils. Didn't like what i saw on the showdown, NOTHING! Oh well thats fishing thru the ice. Going to hit it early tomorrow and again tomorrow evening.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:29 PM »
this am was the first time in a long time i thought about not hitting the lake for perch due to wind. we walked out a channel (wind tunnel!!) and just stood there laughing at how stupid we were for going out further! if it was 13 or colder i would have opted out!

was a good day to get out despite putting 1.5 year old gas in my auger before the trip. ooops! it was from the chain saw can.

the rattler caught its first perch!! all 3 inches of it!!
Nice to get out for the first time in almost 3 weeks!

Funny, we had the same hilarious time perch runnin. Wind blew us all over the place and made detecting the bite a real chore. I couldn't imagine sub 20 weather in that. We could only scrap 15 fish with maybe 7 real jumbos. Hitting em again tomorrow, I'm betting on a typhoon.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline takers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Well I'm glad I'm not the "Lone Ranger" here.  Fish stacked up on the Barbee Chain this AM and the perch remained elusive.  Went to my favorite spot on Wawasee in the PM and chased perch to no avail.  Rough, windy day, WITH NO SHANTY!  Anyway, BEATS WORKING!
Old Marbleeyes

Offline BIGKAT9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:13 AM »
Got to love those colors on winter perch ,good looking fish

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:29 AM »
I WILL BE LOOKING FOR THOSE PERCH IN A COUPLE MORE WEEKS. THEY ARE MIGHTY TASTY COMING OUT OF THE ICE AND INTO MY STOMACH.

Offline perch on ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:46 AM »
We went to a private lake in IL on sat. and I agree with all of you.  Tough bite in that wind. Lots of fish marked. Very few takers. It was nice to see 14 inches of clear ice.  I haven't seen that for a while.  At least the power auger got a good workout.  We ended up with maybe 25 crappies and a handful of perch.  Not too good, seeing that the perch, were what I was after.

Offline drake hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:48 AM »
I had the same problem on stone yesterday, lots of perch just all small.   Need to find the big boys.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2011, 03:23 PM »
[/quote I guess we did ok regrouping today....Right Spring!!!

Offline pike seeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Extemely tough this weekend. Pikemaster34 and I only got two keeper perch on Sat out of ten caught. Couldn't even get a bit all day Sun. Just lots of followers on the Vex.

Offline miamimiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:48 AM »
We had the same action on the Barbee chain 6 fish ,no keepers..But I did get to see the biggest muskie I've ever scene threatin to eat my camera.Wow what a scare,right at the last second he turned away from it,I thought it was gone,wish I'd of had a recorder hooked up to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.