The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Sand lake in Irish Hills  (Read 3137 times)

Offline anyminuteman

• IceShanty Rookie
Sand lake in Irish Hills
« on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:43 AM »
    A couple of years ago a guy told me how he was icing 'eyes on Sand lake (Irish Hills). I tried it last year but couldn't find them. This summer I located walleye and I'd like to try it again. Has anyone gotten any yet this season?Is the bite on? I,ll take any info I can get on this.

Offline coyotecallinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sand lake in Irish Hills
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:10 AM »
I have fished that lake off and on over the years but did not realize they had eyes in there.  When did they get planted?  I"m also curious if anyone is catching perch there?  Used to find some but not for a few years.  We slowly moved to other spots but that is a nice lake
It's All Good but some is better than others....

Offline anyminuteman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:18 AM »
   Pollack had an article in the Toledo Blade last week about the Irish Hills lakes. He mentioned in it that anglers have been getting walleye and pike on jig & minnow on Sand lake.
    I'm heading there this afternoon.

Offline danjmoe4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Did you do any good? I am thinking about trying up there this weekend.

Offline anyminuteman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:33 AM »
  According to the locals and the guys that I talked to on the ice, all the reports are are off. They say it is the worst year in a long time for that lake (through the ice). A more accurate pitcher of the walleye scene is that an occatoinal walleye is picked-up while gill'n.
  I got five nice sized fish though;four black crappie and a bullhead. I worked hard for those walleye,but got none.

Offline _Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing's always better.....on WEED'EZ
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:54 AM »
In Pollack's article, he quotes the dude from Knutson's alot.  Of course that guy is going to say that people have been killing the fish in the Hills.....he gets business from it.  I have not really seen where that info is true.  I am sure there are some guys cleaning up, but quite frankly, I've had crap fishing days up there this year.  Weather pattern has not been stable at all.  I'm always fishing super-high pressure after a cold front.  Can't catch alot of fish in those conditions unless you are really good. 

I fished Sand several times the last few years, and I've never really done good there.  I've just decided to skip it this season.

Offline ogerr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Yep heard the same from guy at Knutsons ref sand Lake. They also told me Lake lee ann for eyes and I fished it for two days and only got one 11 incher. Man was I disappointed. Talked with people on the ice and they laughed when I mention walleye. They said no walleye,not sure if he could be lying but seemed accurate.

Offline bksixer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:28 AM »
In Pollack's article, he quotes the dude from Knutson's alot.  Of course that guy is going to say that people have been killing the fish in the Hills.....he gets business from it.  I have not really seen where that info is true.  I am sure there are some guys cleaning up, but quite frankly, I've had crap fishing days up there this year.  Weather pattern has not been stable at all.  I'm always fishing super-high pressure after a cold front.  Can't catch alot of fish in those conditions unless you are really good. 

I fished Sand several times the last few years, and I've never really done good there.  I've just decided to skip it this season.

I was in Knutsons last week, Wednesday to be exact... When Pollick called, the guy at register and i got a good laugh.. He said put him on hold, ill get to him when i can..

Offline anyminuteman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:35 PM »
  Yeh, it's got to be fun to see if he'll print what you tell him.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.