Author Topic: Over-sized perch  (Read 2557 times)

Offline switchbreed

• IceShanty Rookie
Over-sized perch
« on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:35 AM »
I've caught some big Perch in my life and many being in the 1.5lb range and I have even caught me a few 2+ pounders and heard stories about 6-7 pound monsters...but 10 and 20kg perch? what in the world are they feeding them?

http://www.mudeyelures.com/html/red_fin.html

10kg = 22lb
20kg = 44lb
(weights in kilo grams are roughly the double in pounds examp. 7kg = roughly 14lb)

I'm sure they did something wrong here.
You know you got good coffee when a horseshoe floats in it.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
Re: Over-sized perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:43 AM »
We need to start introducing those to the states... ;D ;D ;D
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:43 AM »
I think they're feeding them 'roos in Ozstralia. ;)
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:48 AM »
I've caught some big Perch in my life and many being in the 1.5lb range and I have even caught me a few 2+ pounders and heard stories about 6-7 pound monsters...but 10 and 20kg perch? what in the world are they feeding them?

http://www.mudeyelures.com/html/red_fin.html

10kg = 22lb
20kg = 44lb
(weights in kilo grams are roughly the double in pounds examp. 7kg = roughly 14lb)

I'm sure they did something wrong here.
hahah. 20kg perch would be something else...  ::)

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:24 AM »
hahah. 20kg perch would be something else...  ::)
kind of like the georgia giant bluegills they engineered in georgia!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline danceswmuskys

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat more sea kittens. It's what's for supper.
Re: Sugar/Crawford
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:26 AM »
It almost has to be a differant kind.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sugar/Crawford
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:31 AM »
It almost has to be a differant kind.

They are.

Because of their similar appearance and ability to cross-breed, the yellow perchYellow perch
The yellow perch is a species of perch found in the United States and Canada, where it is often referred to by the shortform perch. Yellow perch look similar to the European perch but are paler and more yellowish, with less red in the fins. They have 6-8 dark vertical bars on their sides...
 has sometimes been classified as a subspeciesSubspecies
Subspecies in biological classification, is either a taxonomic rank subordinate to species, ora taxonomic unit in that rank...
 of the European perch, in which case its trinomial nameTrinomial nomenclature
In biology, trinomial nomenclature refers to names for taxa below the rank of species. This is different for animals and plants:* for animals see trinomen. There is only one rank allowed below the rank of species: subspecies.* for plants see ternary name...
 would be Perca fluviatilis flavescens.

However, it is unclear whether or not hybridsHybrid (biology)
In biology and specifically genetics, hybrid has several meanings, all referring to the offspring of sexual reproduction.#In general usage, hybrid is synonymous with heterozygous: any offspring resulting from the mating of two distinctly homozygous individuals#a genetic hybrid carries two different...
 are viable, and most classifications treat the two fish as separate species. According to NatureServe, allozymeAllozyme
Variant forms of an enzyme that are coded by different alleles at the same locus are called allozymes. These are opposed to isozymes, which are enzymes that perform the same function, but which are coded by genes located at different loci....
data indicates that Perca fluviatilis and Perca flavescens are separate species.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:37 AM »
my question is why dont we have them here yet???  we have peacock bass in florida but no giant perch up north yet whats the deal lol
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:07 AM »
They are.

Because of their similar appearance and ability to cross-breed, the yellow perchYellow perch
The yellow perch is a species of perch found in the United States and Canada, where it is often referred to by the shortform perch. Yellow perch look similar to the European perch but are paler and more yellowish, with less red in the fins. They have 6-8 dark vertical bars on their sides...
 has sometimes been classified as a subspeciesSubspecies
Subspecies in biological classification, is either a taxonomic rank subordinate to species, ora taxonomic unit in that rank...
 of the European perch, in which case its trinomial nameTrinomial nomenclature
In biology, trinomial nomenclature refers to names for taxa below the rank of species. This is different for animals and plants:* for animals see trinomen. There is only one rank allowed below the rank of species: subspecies.* for plants see ternary name...
 would be Perca fluviatilis flavescens.

However, it is unclear whether or not hybridsHybrid (biology)
In biology and specifically genetics, hybrid has several meanings, all referring to the offspring of sexual reproduction.#In general usage, hybrid is synonymous with heterozygous: any offspring resulting from the mating of two distinctly homozygous individuals#a genetic hybrid carries two different...
 are viable, and most classifications treat the two fish as separate species. According to NatureServe, allozymeAllozyme
Variant forms of an enzyme that are coded by different alleles at the same locus are called allozymes. These are opposed to isozymes, which are enzymes that perform the same function, but which are coded by genes located at different loci....
data indicates that Perca fluviatilis and Perca flavescens are separate species.

Thank you Mr Cliff Claven (of the television show "CHEERS" fame) ...
;-)
Don't be gettin all riled now...
Just jokin with ya!
 Interesting info
:-D
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:12 AM »
;-)
Just jokin with ya!
 Interesting info
HAHA gold

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:25 AM »
my question is why dont we have them here yet???  we have peacock bass in florida but no giant perch up north yet whats the deal lol

;-)
Just jokin with ya!
 Interesting info

;D I remember ol' Cliff, a fountain of misinformation and very funny character!

The info I posted was a copy and paste job from here:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/European_perch

Google search is your friend!

... it also explains why we don't have them here in the first paragraph.

They have caused substantial damage to native fish populations in Australia
... I don't think we'd want them eating all the Walleye fry, would we?

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:00 AM »
i get the fear of the walleye fry but what about the common carp we have in our rivers that were introduced to the u.s. from asia???  or the hybrid wipers we have in our lakes that fight for food with our white bass and crappies and wipes out the crappie populations??? fact is if we were to get them here id be all for it cuz the number of fisherman keeping them would limit the populations just like the yellow perch we have now.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:29 AM »
I say if the Asian carp ever breach the electric barrier into the great lakes, the should stock those bigass Perch in there and let the 2 duke it out toe to toe and see who the best fish is. ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:02 PM »
The carp are supposedly already in the great lakes. One was netted in Lake Calumet and more are suspected to be in the lake. There are no barriers between Lake Calumet and Lake Erie. Some reports about Asian Carp invading the great lakes have been pulled from the internet which makes me a bit suspicious.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:33 PM »
The carp are supposedly already in the great lakes. One was netted in Lake Calumet and more are suspected to be in the lake. There are no barriers between Lake Calumet and Lake Erie. Some reports about Asian Carp invading the great lakes have been pulled from the internet which makes me a bit suspicious.

Yeah, I heard about the 1, but I found that suspicious. Someone could have planted that one. As thick and numerous as these fish are when they invade, 1 is pretty iffy... but let's not sit here jawin' about, let's get those hugeass perch started before the carps can get a foothold!!! ;D

... it would also give the great lakes commercial fishermen another species to rape and plunder. >:(

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Yeah, I heard about the 1, but I found that suspicious. Someone could have planted that one. As thick and numerous as these fish are when they invade, 1 is pretty iffy... but let's not sit here jawin' about, let's get those hugeass perch started before the carps can get a foothold!!! ;D

... it would also give the great lakes commercial fishermen another species to rape and plunder. >:(
I would like to see some of those large Perch over here also if they could be contained. I think that if we were to get a lot of snow in winter and some rain in the spring they would be spread all over our lake system. I read something a while ago about Bighead Carp already being in the Great Lakes. These types of fish will really hurt the Great Lakes system. I believe the Feds will let these fish into the lakes rather than shut some of the shipping down by closing some locks or something.  >:(
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline switchbreed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2011, 02:31 PM »
Omg apparently the European Perch does grow HUGE in Australia! They may not reach 20kg but there have been recorded weights of at least 9kg! my lord! that is huge! Thought it is known that the European perch grows faster (much faster) in warm water so maybe its not that big of a surprise i guess, But i sure would be shocked if i ever hooked a 9kg (20lb perch).

Source: http://www.sportsfish.com.au/fishing/fish-freshwater/red-fin.html

In Sweden for example the largest ones have been caught near factories where they release hot water into the rivers/lakes.

And for those who don't know in Europe the largest perch caught are around 6 pounds. so 20 pounds would be nice.

Offline fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2011, 02:57 PM »
;-)
Just jokin with ya!
 Interesting info
That was funny.  Not too many people would get that now adays.  He was always a hoot. ;D

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2011, 03:12 PM »
The perch and the carp eat different food most of the time.... Not much competition.

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2011, 03:26 PM »
just imagine one of them on2lbs test and an ultralight pole :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2011, 03:49 PM »
ya carp and perch do eat different things but they are both fry eaters and that is what most are concerned about with the walleye fry but im game for those pigs here in iowa cuz we dont have many walleye in most our man made lakes other than the ones that get stocked by the dnr and those only go into lakes over 600 aceres so i say bring on the giant perch  ;D ;D ;D

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:09 PM »
The perch and the carp eat different food most of the time.... Not much competition.

Yeah, I was thinking the hella perch could feast on the baby carp at hatchout time since they're such voracious feeders.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:15 PM »
That was funny.  Not too many people would get that now adays.  He was always a hoot. ;D

My favorite Cliff Claven type quote:

Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

He didn't actually say it on the tv show, but it sounds like something he'd say.

Offline switchbreed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:32 PM »
just imagine one of them on2lbs test and an ultralight pole :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pff catch them on these: ^^

Perch are good hunters and already at a very young age they start eating other fish. I've had them in aquarium and seen how they devour fish that barely fit in their mouth, they are just as bad the pike and sometimes worse. They do know how to take over waters for sure.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:57 PM »
 :o :o 20 kg perch? I'd die of a heart attack if I pulled one of those through a hole... if you could get it through. 
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:15 PM »
looks like a fake photo?  even if they are real,looks like it was photoshoped.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:45 PM »
instead of the perch lets get some zander its the europe equal to a walleye and they feed on carp and can grow to 30 + pounds some even larger ;D they live in warmer shallower waters and wont compete with walleye

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:50 PM »
instead of the perch lets get some zander its the europe equal to a walleye and they feed on carp and can grow to 30 + pounds some even larger ;D they live in warmer shallower waters and wont compete with walleye

Naaa! They're nearly as prolific or voracious as the red fin perch... we want something there's going to be a million of when we drop our hook down!!! ;D :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:52 PM »
My favorite Cliff Claven type quote:

Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

He didn't actually say it on the tv show, but it sounds like something he'd say.

Sounds like you had a few too many.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.