The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?????????  (Read 701 times)

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
What am I doing wrong?????????
« on: Jan 13, 2011, 01:49 PM »
So right out of the box, it took me a while to get my Jiffy Legend Lightning started.  Shoulder was a bit sore the next day.....thats all i'll say.  Next day I primed it a couple times, full choke, started up 2nd pull.  Yesterday I primed it, full choke.....pull, pull, pull, nothin.  Primed it some more......pull, pull, pull, nothin.  Repeat, repeat, nothin.  Took the choke off, pull, sputter.  Put it on half choke, fired right up.  Am I priming it too much?  Should I not start it in full choke?  I'm just worried, thats all.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
Re: What am I doing wrong?????????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Doesn't sound wrong, did you read the instructions.

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:11 PM »
Yes, just dont know if there is a trick or something to get them going a little faster.  I may need rotator cuff surgery in the offseason is this continues.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:44 PM »
There's a fine line between not enough priming and too much. Flooded and starved get you nowhere. First, you need to figure out the variables. Did you just take the auger out from a warm vehicle? How cold is it outside where you tried? Any warmth at all, use less pumps on the primer and less use of the choke. If it is super cold out, prime it 5 to 8 times, some augers even more. You will have to figure your own set of circumstances.

It seems they are all temperamental in some way and each one has to be learned by it's master. Just like getting to know the personality of your dog. Even snowblowers and other motors with primers, weed whackers etc, figure them out, take mental notes, then throw away the manual!

My snowmobile has a primer, I almost NEVER use choke. If so, only on about halfway. 2 primes in 20 degree weather, 3-4 primes in sub zero. When it starts to dog and die out, I prime it slowly and keep it running as needed for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. After that, I'm good to go.  @) My auger does not have a primer so it's full choke until it sputters and dies (can't get to the choke fast enough). Put it on 1/2 choke and drill half a hole. shut choke off and finish drilling as many holes as needed. 15 minutes with it off and you need to use the choke 1 pull, then shut the choke off and start it.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I keep it out in my unheated shed, so probably 20 degrees last night.  I'm gonna giver her another go when I get home, maybe try a few more primes, and not shock it so much.  We'll see how it goes.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Yep, no two seem to be the same, they each have their own personality.  Once you figure it out, it will be easy (hopefully).  I'd say if you got it to pop on the second pull once, you can do it again.

To find a pattern, I would go out each day, even off water, and try it until you dial it in.

Also, try a search of this site for Jiffy Start and you can probably spend as much time reading as it would take to figure yours out.

Jiffy's have a small reputation of being a bit cold blooded.  Not bashing, just saying... ;D

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Don't forget there is a pinhole in the primer bulb and it is best done the same way every time. 1st. Take your glove OFF! Then proceed. Press for one second, let go for 1 second. Repeat for as many times needed. You need to press for a full second to allow the air pressure to move the diaphram in the carb. Some people press and let go with gloved hands w-a-y too fast and they are not getting any gas to the cylinders.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:56 PM »
Does it have a gas cap vent that you didn't open? With my old Jiffy Model 30, I can't flood it. I can pump the primer until there's gas all over the ground and it starts right up. Obviously you don't want to do that when your out fishing.

Here's what Jiffy says on http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/pages/coldstartingprocedure.aspx

1. Move rocker switch to ON or (I) position.
   2. Move choke lever to FULL CHOKE or (I\I) position. (Operator's left)
   3. Depress throttle control with left hand and grasp the starter handle in your right hand.
   4. Slowly pull starter handle until you feel resistance from engine, then pull vigorously.
   5. Without releasing the starter handle or the throttle control, let handle return to original position and repeat step 5.
   6. If engine doesn't start after 5-6 pulls, press the primer bulb 2-3 times and repeat with steps 5-6.
   7. After engine starts running, move choke lever to HALF CHOKE position until engine runs smoothly.
   8. Move choke lever to RUN or (III) position. (Operator's right)
   9. To stop engine, push rocker switch tot OFF or (0) position

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:05 PM »
From another post from a gentleman that has his dialed in....may be a good place to start.....about half way through the post is what works for him... ???

the best is a matter of opinion and owner experience.  I have a Jiffy 30 I bought new in 1999 which I paid less than $150.  It still works, the blade is still sharp, I use it almost every weekend in the ice season, it can drill about 40 to 50 holes on a tank of gas depending on ice thickness and it's heavy.   

There are some that are light, heavy, slow, fast.  People here sometimes talk about how fast an auger can drill, but to me 3 or 4 seconds is irrelevant.   I have been told from other Jiffy owners that when they bought a new Strikemaster they noticed a big difference.  Well yeah, the reason they bought a new auger is because the old one was wore out. 

I'm sure there are issues and drama with every auger.  I had issues with mine when I first used it.  But the secrete is to pump the thumb button just till it firms up, set the choke on half and then she will start right up even in the coldest weather.  The other secrete is to put a rag between the bottom of the gas tank and top of the air intake when not in use.  Snow or water can get in there when your traveling down the road and it's in the back of the pickup or if the wind is blowing. 

The auger size is another opinion.  Some guys laugh if your fishing out of a 8'' hole.  They have a 10'' auger.  I have never caught a fish thru the ice that I couldn't pull out of a 8'' hole.

What ever you get, just have fun using it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.