The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anchoring system for a flipover shanty...  (Read 1982 times)

Offline finatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • For how can one fool make another wise? Kansas
Anchoring system for a flipover shanty...
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:03 PM »
Been working on an anchoring system for my Frabill flipover shanty....what I was using was ..I put an eyebolt thru the tube and attached about 3 feet of aluminum chain and a 12 inch piece of angle iron.... to anchor down I would drill a hole completely through the ice..drop the angle iron down and take up the slack with a snap clip...this method work well but at the end of the day it would be frozen solid and a real pain to get out...
 Recently I installed a ceiling fan using a Pass & Seymour Easy Plus Fan Brace and thought that same type of device would work as an anchor system... Use the auger to drill a hole but do not go completely through...just a couple of inches and the use the brace system that would expand across the hole then use the snap clip to attach it to the chain. Because it is not in the water no freezing up and easier to relocate and much quicker..... Will be testing this out and let you know how it works. If you have any suggestion or comments let me know!

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anchoring system for a flipover shanty...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:29 PM »
It helps if you sit in it.. just saying.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:32 PM »
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline finatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:53 PM »
That it's....finally..... thank you for that....problem solved...it's almost too simple..why try to re-invent the wheel....Will be order them in the morning....

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:57 PM »
I was thinking of getting them myself but unsure if they will work in a 6 inch hole. Description says 6 1/2-10 1/2 inch hole, if I recall. Have to investigate. Reasonable price for them, though. glad to help
Pig

Offline keneyeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:16 PM »
I'm not sure what these things price out at, but I've been using old shoestrings, 8" long stick approximately 1/2" diameter.  Tie the string to the center of the stick and the other end to the shanty, drill an anchor hole, then push the stick down the hole and position across.  If it freezes in place all I'm out is an old shoestring and a stick. Plenty of those for good a prices.  Twine works too if your out of shoestrings.

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:05 AM »
Ice climbing anchors work well, never freeze in
Jim K.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2011, 05:13 PM »
I have a shappell DX3000 and i use 3" bolts to anchor it down to the ice. Works very well and i picked up a pack at Lowe's. It does take a little time to get them in with a hand driver but it works well. Hope this help ya. Good luck!!!

Offline AquaRoach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Very interesting....Angle iron, chains, ceiling fan mounting hardware, bolts, ice anchors. Here's what I do. I take about 3760 yards of cheap clothes line rope.Tie one end to the bumper of my car. The other end to whatever is handy on the opposite shore. Then hook my shelter to the rope. I can slide my shelter any where on the line. When it's time to leave, I remove the rope from the shore end and drive my car dragging the shelter to the shoreline.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:46 PM »
 :cookoo: :cookoo: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Very interesting....Angle iron, chains, ceiling fan mounting hardware, bolts, ice anchors. Here's what I do. I take about 3760 yards of cheap clothes line rope.Tie one end to the bumper of my car. The other end to whatever is handy on the opposite shore. Then hook my shelter to the rope. I can slide my shelter any where on the line. When it's time to leave, I remove the rope from the shore end and drive my car dragging the shelter to the shoreline.
uh huh sure you do :laugh: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline AquaRoach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2011, 03:17 PM »
I don't take a hardware store and a tool box on the ice.... In all truthfulness, I do exactly what keneyeam does, or I just run the auger in the ice and toss the tow rope over it.... I like the thinking and resourcefulness of fishermen on designing ways of holding a shelter down. The angle iron, chain, and fan mounting hardware is the best!! Bob Villa would be jealous.

Offline finatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:14 PM »
You know what Aqua dude!   Obviously you don't really fish much in bad weather. When panfishing you have to be able to move around a bit and my buddy was always saying he would like to move but the windy condition prevent that because of securing everything down....just am trying to come up with something to simplify this process and you bring in BOB VILLA...necessity is the mother of invention...maybe...bu t i don't have to explain anything to you... you all ready know everything.... I would bet you have not a clue has to what type of devise or the modification made to it that I was referring too! Simplicity is the goal...and if comes from a hardware store and not Cabelas you don't know what it is! Thanks though for for making an ass of me...I really do try to refrain from all the negativity but sometimes ...................... .....! You do have the right to your opinion. I fish Beltzville Lake.... stop by....sure would like to see that rope over the auger trick!Sound like a very efficient and simple solution for your jet sled...

Offline eyecejunky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Ice climbing anchors work well, never freeze in
(Image removed from quote.)

Sweet!!! Where might one find a few of these!!

ICE REBEL

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:58 PM »
I don't take a hardware store and a tool box on the ice.... In all truthfulness, I do exactly what keneyeam does, or I just run the auger in the ice and toss the tow rope over it.... I like the thinking and resourcefulness of fishermen on designing ways of holding a shelter down. The angle iron, chain, and fan mounting hardware is the best!! Bob Villa would be jealous.

Who said your taken a hardware store or a tool box out on the ice? Your method of anchoring something down is stupid. Why would someone want to carry all that rope out on the ice with them? If you do want to move what you have to walk all the way back to shore to untie the rope that's retarded. Do you even fish or do you just like to send time messing around with stupid stuff?

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Sweet!!! Where might one find a few of these!!

Any store that sells climbing gear, Check Ebay  also.
Jim K.

Offline AquaRoach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:03 PM »
You guys are easy. I actually was commmending your resourcefulness. Sorry if I offended you guys, but if you'd believe anyone would carry almost 2 miles of clothes line on the ice; never play poker. I told you in all truthfullness that I just use 2 sticks and cheap rope like keneyeam does, to hold down my shelter in the wind. Or I just toss the rope over the auger. Where is the shelter going to go? just the length of the rope. I've seen shelters blown across the ice tossing everything out as they tumble on Cayuga and Onieda. I'd be the last guy to want to see one of you guys lose your equipment. I just gave a guy my old clam 5600. I always anchored it down with tee handle ice anchors. The trouble with them, when it comes to the end of the day and there was water on the ice they'd freeze in and had to be chipped out, or your hands would get wet if the water didn't freeze. So now all I do  is drill 2 holes through the ice one on each corner on the upwind side. Then tie a length of rope to the sticks and push the sticks under the ice with my dipper. If the hole freezes I just cut the rope at the hole. Plus, with my 2 man clam loaded with just the basic stuff, is heavy enough, so lighter anchors work better for me. If angle iron and chain works for you, or bolts, or ceiling fan mounts, use them.

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing? Hunting? So many decisions!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:24 PM »

Any store that sells climbing gear, Check Ebay  also.

I too have used these. You can actually turn them into the ice with one finger. And they come out just as easy. Never had one come loose, but now I usually just hitch my Clam to my 4wheeler and the problem is solved. Of course the ice needs to be a little thicker than early ice is, but I don't go ice fishing until after muzzleloader season is over in mid January.
I worked all my life so I could retire to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.