Author Topic: my 2011 Frozen Adventures.  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
my 2011 Frozen Adventures.
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 04:35 PM »
Hi all,
Here is the start to my new winter adventures.

For me my ice fishing season started on Jan 3rd 2011 and my destination was Fishing Lake.

It was a cold afternoon with cloudy skies and a brisk N wind.
I fished from 3:00pm until 6:30pm.

During that time I saw no fish on camera but one of my baits was taken without the fish being hooked.

There were a good number of freshwater shrimp / scuds and back swimmer so at least I was near a food source.

Oh well better luck next time. :-\
It was still nice to be out and about on the ice again. :)

My 2nd adventure was yesterday {Jan 9.Th}.

This time I thought I would try Margo Lake, it is a place I can usually count on.

This day was also fairly cold with a not too strong E.
The sky was fairly clear to start with, but by the time we left it was foggy and the temp had really dropped.

My mom, friend and I fished from 2:15pm until 6:00pm.
In that time I saw 3 pike on camera, had 4 very lite nibbles on the set rods and I landed one pike.

All the nibbles including the fish I caught were on smelt.

I chatted with one angler who said he had one pike come and stare at his lure only to have it swim away.
I didn't see any of the other anglers land a fish either.

It was tough bite all around, but, at least I was not skunked and it did feel good to have that tug on the end of my line again. @)

WW

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Re: my 2011 Frozen Adventures.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Nice pike.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Thanks PIKE FISHERMAN  , it beats being  any day.

WW

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:53 PM »

Hi all,
My fishing partners and I made it out for some fishing on the afternoon of Feb. 2nd.
Our destination was a lake we have never ice fished before, Greenwater Lake.

It was a cool windy day on the lake with a mix of sun & cloud.
We fished from 1:10pm until 4:00pm.

In that time I saw a good number of shiner minnows and tiny perch, 3 white suckers, 2 pike and one jumbo perch on the camera.
I tried watching for fish in the deeper water but it was just a bit too dark, so I watched in the shallows.

Our holes were drilled along a very steep drop off.
The shallowest hole was in 12' and the deepest was 23'.

There were a good number of fish in the area, but they were very negative and most would only pick at either end of the baits and not where the hooks were.

In the end, we had 6 lite nibbles that hardly moved the set rod's tip.
I did hook 3 pike, but one of the pike got off just as I was going to lift it out of the hole. :P

Here are the two that were iced, they were no monsters, but fun none the less. ;D
Fish 1.

This guy hit an inch or two below the hole.
I was lifting the bait to check it and felt a tap half way up so I jiggled it just under the ice where I could see it and saw the bait disappear so I set the hook and hand lined the fish in.

Fish 2.

For the most part smelts were getting most of the taps and that is what these two were hooked on, the third hit on a Trigger X worm.

Over the course of the afternoon "Murphy" the fisherman showed up.
For me it was my ice fishing scoop that broke when I went to clean a hole.
The other incident was when my buddies truck would not start.
We fought with the truck for an hour or so, but in the end had no luck starting it.  We could have had about half a mile walk across the ice back to the marina boat launch. :(
Lucky for us though, we got a ride on a snow machine to the lodge with a fellow angler  300 yards down from us who was leaving for the day too.
It was also lucky that other members of my family were meeting us for supper at the restaurant so we sill had a ride home.

We towed the truck off the lake on Friday Feb 4th and its going to the repair shop sometime next week.
We are not exactly sure what went wrong, but we suspect it might be the fuel pump. ::)

It was an interesting day - one I won't soon forget. :woot:

WW

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2011, 04:46 PM »

Hi all,
On Sat. March 5th my 2 partners and I decided to try LML in hope of finding some active fish, anything biting would due. :laugh:

We fished from 3:15p to 5:45pm.

On the way to LML it began to get stormy and by the time we arrived it was snowing and blowing, with cooler temps.

We tried it anyway and found our way onto Pelican Pointe', though the trail near the shore was a bit nasty.

There were a good number of folks out on the point, at least 14 vehicles.
We decided to set up just N of the group but a safe distance from the point.

We drilled in 7 to 12 feet.
The ice was a good 2 feet thick near the truck, but  just off the point it went down to a foot.

In our time out fishing, my group and I saw 12 fish on camera, 9 burbot, 1 walleye, 1 whitefish or cisco {too far to tell} and 1 pike.

In the first 5 min of dropping my lure down I watched a burbot brush past the camera and inhale my lure. I hooked and landed it. :)

It was 27".

Well that was all the action for quite a while.
A few burbot casually swam by and a walleye darted in looked at the lure and darted out just as quickly, not what it wanted.

Towards the middle of the trip my partner saw a whitefish or cisco in the distance so I switched tactics and tried to get it to eat a spoon and dropper rig. It didn't attract the target fish, but it did attract a not bad pike who grabbed the lure and the fight was on.  I was just bringing it up the hole from under the ice when it chewed through the 40lb braided dropper rig line and was gone, sheesh. :P

A bit before we left I had another burbot come swimming up to my lure and grab it and just sit there with it in it's mouth, so I set the hook and another fish was iced.

This one was 29.5".

I had one more burbot tap at the lure but he would not commit.

The day was not too bad, but, either I was not in the exact spot, or that E wind and snow shut them off. :-\

I could not see the other groups too easily but it looked kind of quite out their way as well.

So all in all, it was good to be back out there and at least I was not skunked. :)

I hope to try that area again soon. ;)

WW

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Hi guys,
On march 11th & 14th I gave LML another try.

March 11 was a bright sunny day with calm winds and not bad temps.

My partners and I decided to try an area of LML we have never ice fished - Rowans Ravine.
We were not sure exacty what we would find in that area but, we set up just a bit S but near the point.
We fished from 4 - 14 feet of water over a sandy, silty bottom from 2:00pm-8:00pm.
In that time we saw a  4 perch, 1 walleye, 3 pike{2 kept coming back again and again} and 12 burbot.
Only a few burbot would look at the lures - most had a mission and moved through quickly.

Fishing was a bit slow, but with a day like that you can't complain. :)
This was the end result.
The big fish of the day came first and almost pulled my set rod right down the hole, close call. :P

This pike was 32"long with a 13"girth.

The next one was smaller at 21", but also had plenty of fight.

I ended the trip with a 30" burbot.

Smelts worked for the burbot and larger pike, but the smaller pike wanted a flutter fish. ;)

There was only one other group fishing near us, and I didn't see them go for their tip-ups once. :tipup:

March 14th found us at Pelican Pointe' and more strong winds, but this time the temps were above 0 and the winds actually felt warm.

There was only 2 other groups fishing the point.

We fished from 7 -12 feet over deeper sand and shallow gravel/weeds from 2:00pm - 7:50pm.

This area had many fish, but most of them also had a mission and would pass right by the camera.
Our group saw, 2 pike, 8 white fish{ usually 2 at a time} and 30 burbot usually traveling in tight groups of 2 to 4 at a time.

The burbot had other things on their tiny little minds.
I only had 6 stop for me all day, 4 of which I hooked, but I iced only 2, the other 2 were lightly hooked and  the hooks came out as they rolled into a ball just under the ice and beyond my reach, although I did try,lol. :laugh:

In the end we iced 3 burbot, 2 for me and one for my partner on a set rod.
The 2 burbot were 8.2 and 8.9lbs, my partner's was 7.5 lbs.

I did see a few things I have never seen before. I finally actually saw 8 burbot all roll into a tight ball right infront of the camera, and even a few fish would go on their side and beat the botton with their tail just like the spawing salmon do. I only caught one in the group who broke off and grabbed the lure. As soon as the burbot left 2 white fish moved in and started picking at the bottom. I am thinking they were eating the eggs. I also saw a pike hovering around the burbot school, probably waiting it's chance to grab a burbot or whitefish, lots of neat and complex behavior going on beneath my feet. @)

Swimbaits were the only thing they showed an interest in, even the smelts were rejected. :-\
Maybe they though that they were little whitefish or tullibee's eating eggs, and hit out of agression.

The other group beside us came over for a chat and they said they were fishing there most of the day without a single bite. They could see them, but not get them to bite.

On a side note, it looks like spring is on it's way, finally. :thumbsup:
We saw many, many deer to and from the lake. We also saw spring birds like horned larks and blue birds.
Along the way on the first trip we also saw this fine fellow in white, this male snowy owl.

All in all it was a nice 2 days to be on the ice and at least we found a few fish.
Here's hoping for more nice days and more bites. :icefish:

WW

Offline ERS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2011, 05:25 AM »
NICE :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2011, 04:11 PM »
 awesome WW, you got those burbs dialed right in..

nice to see those snowy owls once in a while, beautiful birds.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Thanks ERS & ran7ger. :)

Yeah, the snowy owl is indeed a beautiful bird.
I am lucky enough to usually see 1 or 2 each winter.

Hi all,
On Sun. March 20th my partners and I made our way back to Pelican Pointe' hoping for more fish action.

We were fishing by 3:15pm and went until 7:40pm.

It was windy with some snow but the temps stayed above the freezing mark, not a bad day in general.

I was expecting it to be packed out there, but, was surprised to see only 2 other groups out, though they left not too long after we got there. 
Not sure how they did. :-\

The point has continued to get worse and now a large area of flooded ice stretches along it's length.  With the wind, I could actually see tiny waves on it. :o

We fished a good distance from the point in deeper water for a time with no action, so I slowly ventured towards the point and drilled every few m.  Eventually I stopped when the ice went from 2 feet to a foot, there were holes already made in that area so I just set up on them.

My group fished and watched on camera in the deeper water {16 feet} and had 1 large perch come in and 1 not bad pike who struck, but threw the hook quickly.

I on the other hand had lots of action below the ice.
In the time I moved I saw 25 burbot, 2 pike and a walleye. 
That just shows if your not finding fish keep moving until you find them. ;)

The fish were a bit more aggressive too, and quite a few at least had a look at the baits.
Smelts were again popular, but one also went for a lippless rattle bait.

Here are the results( not in order of being caught), 3.2, 4.1. 4.8, 6.1 and 6.3lbs. :)

First fish came on my set rod.

The rest came by jigging.

This last one had quite a yellowish color to it.

I also had another nibble on the set rod and lost 2 burbot, who sped off quickly on camera.

One interesting thing I saw was when I hooked one particular burbot and brought it up was that there had been 3 other burbot following it the whole time and one even poked it's head up the hole as I brough it up. It turned out to be a female burbot I hooked and the males were not willing leave her side.

Although the burbot were a bit smaller than what we usually catch the increased action made up for it.

I hope to be out one last time before the season closes, not sure if it will happen or not, but we will see. :unsure:

WW

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Hi guys,
I looks like my last post will be my last trip of this ice fishing season, thanks to everyone who had a look at my posts and I will have more adventures to share once our new open water season is under way in May, until then take it easy guys. ;)

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2011, 05:15 PM »
looks like you had a fun season

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Nice pics as usual Waterwolf!!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2011, 04:12 PM »
Thanks corny & beerbellybob. :)

It was a fun season, I hope you guys had a good one to.

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.