The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: camera=great scouting tool  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
camera=great scouting tool
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:17 AM »
They are not cheap but they are worth it just for scouting out a great spot for spearing  @)

Any one else use them for scouting  :-\

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: camera=great scouting tool
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:50 AM »
You won't regret it but make sure you bring at least a 8" auger when you go scouting so that you can see in the hole and know what way the camera is facing so you know what direction looks best.

The first 2 years I went spearing I just used a depth finder to find a good depth but then after I had made the hole and put up the shanty just to find what you said "I don't like the look of this". It helps to avoid those high weeds that block a side of your hole or to find that there are no weeds in site or fish for that matter. It kinda sucks but I go out scouting and don't even bring a pole just so that I keep my attention on the task at hand because a good honey hole will make the season one to remember  ;D

Good luck

Offline nin akawawa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tradewell Decoys
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:43 PM »
Just a thought.  I wonder if they will start using cameras like deer cams.  Where you set them up in your favorite fishing spot and then download the cards into you camera or computer and see what kind of fish are down there and when they a swimming by.  Maybe I should invent that. 
I just go out there day by day do'n the best I can.  Some day I be the hero some day I be the goat.....Today I be the goat. (Kirby Puckett)

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:47 PM »
i was thinking the same thing!

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:33 PM »
Just a thought.  I wonder if they will start using cameras like deer cams.  Where you set them up in your favorite fishing spot and then download the cards into you camera or computer and see what kind of fish are down there and when they a swimming by.  Maybe I should invent that. 

Wow that's a cool idea, you might just need to figure out a way to water proof a trail camera cause as far as the cold goes it should be fine. To be honest that could work for all kinds of fishing and then when it takes a picture and has the time on it you will know when to be out there. Great idea I might just try that  ;D

Offline marlich9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:46 PM »
Good post. What make and models do you use?

I moved last weekend and like we all know it is work.  What I saw after I setup was no weeds and just a flat bottom.  I did spear a 25 inch pike on Sunday but still would have liked to have seen more weeds.
So my next purchase for scouting will be a camera.

Mike

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:38 PM »
If one is frugal or doesn't have a camera, try this:
Use a older style side mirror (round or rectangular) from a truck. Just attach it to a pole and angle it. The only thing is you have to look down the hole with your jacket or something else covering your head to take a scan. used to do this back in the 70's-80's when we set up our shack.
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.