Author Topic: Moonshine Shiver Minnows  (Read 5981 times)

Offline NSYakfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Moonshine Shiver Minnows
« on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:56 PM »
These lures look really good.... really looking forward to trying the size #00 model for trout and perch... has anyone used these and if so what are your favoritecolors?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
Re: Moonshine Shiver Minnows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:51 PM »
i had never heard of them.. i just googled em and they look awesome, tell us how they do

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:37 PM »
never heard of them, they look great especially the #0's. Anyone know of an online source (doesnt look like you can order direct from them) as there are no places that are close to me.

J-

Offline NSYakfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Marinegeneral.com  atleast I think thats the name of the place.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Marinegeneral.com  atleast I think thats the name of the place.

copy thanks

J-

Offline miner band

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:40 PM »
 Perch love them, well at least the smaller 2 sizes so far, the glow is crazy!!!!!!

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Perch love them, well at least the smaller 2 sizes so far, the glow is crazy!!!!!!

ordered me about 30 bucks worth yesterday as they look very promising.

J-

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:35 PM »
These baits are relatively new and manufactured and sold a few miles from where I live.I haven't fished with them as much as some others have. But I'll give an unbiased evaluation and report. The perch and walleyes seem to like them here on Little Bay-De Noc. They fish very similar to a jigging rap of similar sizes. The Shiver looks a little more like a Goby shape which is a main baitfish here. The smallest size shiver is about the size of a #3 jiggn rap. The next size up (#0) is a little smaller than a #5 jigging rap. The head area of the shiver minnows are bigger.The bottom treble hook on the small one (00)size,is a little small for walleyes and jumbo perch and you'll have some come un-buttoned. I upgrade to the next bigger size treble on them. The size 1 and on up seem to have hooks more appropriate for whats likely to bite them. When I do use a shiver minnow I generaly bait just the treble with a minnow head, same as I do a jigging rap. They have an awesome glow in the dark or poor light conditions. The one big negative for me is that there is no front hook. Often times big perch bite them head first and don't get hooked. Also they cost a little more than jigging raps, but in my opinion if you fish in the dark at all the extra cost is worth it.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:40 PM »
any one got a video of it

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:28 PM »
The one big negative for me is that there is no front hook. Often times big perch bite them head first and don't get hooked. Also they cost a little more than jigging raps, but in my opinion if you fish in the dark at all the extra cost is worth it.
Agree... doesn't make sense to me why they would not have a treble on the front. I would rather not have a hook on the back by the fin. Most fish eat their prey head first from what I know so not having a hook there makes no sense.
They do glow very bright. I bought about 10 of them but haven't really given them a chance on the ice yet. I like the way they look though... if they catch fish like they caught my eye on the shelf in the store I'll be in business ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:06 PM »
I like to cut off the front hook of my small Jig'N Raps so I wouldn't have to with these Moonshine lures.

Most fish do eat their prey head first, but many times they will attack mid body first to catch their prey.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:47 AM »
I like to cut off the front hook of my small Jig'N Raps so I wouldn't have to with these Moonshine lures.

Most fish do eat their prey head first, but many times they will attack mid body first to catch their prey.

yep the no front hook is what really attracted me to these. I have never caught a fish on the front hook of a rap but have caught my glove, my hand, the bottom of the ice (several times) etc. I now cut them off anyways.

J-

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2011, 11:03 PM »

http://www.moonshinelures.com/shiver_minnow.html

Hook hangup issues ~ a quick fix from the manufacturer.

http://upangler.com/forums/index.php?topic=846.0                                     

surflizard

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2011, 05:45 AM »
I think I'll try some of the jigging spoons and see how the Lake Trout like them !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.