The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: where are the fish?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline larmer

• IceShanty Rookie
where are the fish?
« on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:55 AM »

there are perch, pike, waleye, muskie, bass, and other pan fish.

i live on the left of the point located on bottom center of lake pic.

i have fished allover the area surrounding this point, and i cant catch any fish.

i dont see any fish, one pike and a handfull of perch total this year, iam using a shanty, minnows, jigs, and other lures.

any tips, ideas or info.

the lake is cedar lake, deepest hole is 9feet avrage is 5-6feet, water is a bit murky, with mud bottom, few weed beads as they killed them with chems this spring.

i go out every day, sometimes morning, evening, or night, and nothing, please help.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: where are the fish?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2011, 01:28 AM »
Failing bad isn't a bad thing it's a good thing because now you can mark that part of the lake off the list, and the next step should come as no surprise FIND THOSE WEED BEDS and I would say the best weeds are going to be near a transition from deep to shallow water as this is a comfort zone for pan fish and a stalking area for predators. Also finding a different bottom like sand, gravel, muck, silt and clay can make an area good.

What county/town is this cedar lake in  ???

Offline larmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2011, 10:45 AM »
thanks for the info... cedar lake greenbush its near oscoda, right on lake huron.

i am typically a brook trout fisher, tho ive been ice fishing for 3 years now on cedar with little to no luck...

Offline spratthilton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:13 AM »
yes try to find the silty bottom normally rite at the bottom of a drop off for the first 10 or 15 feet. try staying later after dark most of my bigger fish this i caught at night. havn't caught many fish in the daylight or dusk this year maybe we need some more snow on the ice.

good luck

Offline imsoawesome

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:43 AM »
on that map you show, if i was you id go to the left of the number 5 in that deeper cove and work around the transition points. plus its closer to the house  ;)
WOMEN WANT ME......FISH FEAR ME!!!

Offline larmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:54 PM »
yeah to the left of #5 is where i had my shantty last week, nothing but a few tiny perch, thanks for the insights guys! i will keeep on trying.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:57 PM »
I'd try the bigger points and the bay on the left side.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I recognize the lake from the picture and the old timers like me that fish the lake said it doesn't get started till late Jan or maybe Feb, where the fish are till then don't know never checked .
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline steelhead666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:44 PM »
larmer i no this lake well use to have a cabin on this lake for all of my childhood my uncle use to own the greenbush tavern that lake is freaking awesome for big northens and it has some muskie in it that they put in it but don't no how they really did i caught 2 but the pike me my dad and uncles have got some monsters at least 10 over 40 and 32 to 38 norm some days 10 pike a morning or a night i don't really no on the pan fish but if you want pike i can help you with that i very odd lake very shallow murky a weird color tint to the lake very long and narrow don't no where that point is off hand its been a min but if you go to the beach about 30 to 50 yards off their and about 100 yards long maybe 75 to the right is a nice weed bed that runs their that's what we use to do start at the beach and drift and go back and do it again now the bass on that lake was the other side of the lake from the beach and you would pick up pike their to have got some nice gills out of their but that was off the docks it was are pike lake and that's what we fished for 95 % of the time
jeffrey shepherd

Offline larmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:15 PM »
thanks much for the tips,

steelhead that beach you mention, is it the beach/boat launch near lake to lake road, or the public swimming beach near huron road?

Offline steelhead666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:36 AM »
swimming area and i am telling you their are some monsters in their lots of big pike i miss that lake use to love going up their got some nice eyes out of their to but just right out in front of their and to the right it was weird sold the cabin had not been their for years went 2 years ago for the weekend and went right to the spot and did my norm drifts and bam pike pike pike just like it use to be nothing changed pm me and i will let you no what to use we only use 2 baits their and that is it and still the same when i went back i would love to get back up their and get some big pike in the spring/summer got a big muskie that weekend to in front of the beach with a jitter bug lol but pm me i will try and remember all that i can for you that was my dads lake and he could get big fish out of their wish he was still with us i would give him a call for you not the boat launch tho its the swimming beach
jeffrey shepherd

Offline fishinfreak89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:08 AM »
all depends on what you want to catch different fish for different locations i like stalking walleye for walleye on lakes i like to fish all along drop offs in 15-25 ft of water as the season goes on the oxygen levels in shallow water goes down and the deeper water has more oxygen so the panfish like to go deeper alot of people fish shallows for pike i like to fish the shallows but if i dont get the big ones i like to go out and find a deep flat with a rock bottom seems to hold bigger fish keep at it you will figure out that lake good luck bud

Offline larmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:32 AM »
thankyou all much for the advices!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Start early in the season on Van Etten then transition onto Cedar. Find that elusive 9' of water as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.