Author Topic: cascade  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
cascade
« on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Live from lake cascade I will let you all know when I get a fish
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: cascade
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Sweet!  Now where is the live-cam so I can watch the action? ;D

Jim

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Must be a slow day ;D

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Got 2

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline Idaho Perch Jerker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:43 PM »
What is up with this??? A phone while you are fishing????

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:33 PM »
It was slow for sure not many fish being caught over at poison creek

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:06 PM »
Hey Guys,

As one who doesn't just go brain dead watching rod tips and flashers, I constantly study everything about the day and the experience to see why I may have had a good day or a slow one (no bad days on the ice :)

I had a pretty decent day on cascade last thurs but it was cloudy all day. Caught most of my perch mid-day in 23' of water. Hoping like heck it is cloudy and even snowing on wed.....

Hope this helps, Hogger

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Here is my catch from last thurs at poison creek

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Went back up to Poison creek today w/ the flu  :-\

Caught an 18 1/2" Bow and 6 perch. Kept 4 measuring 11"-13"+ Snowed all day making it tougher to get around on the ice. I think rain would be a good thing to put a crust on the top. Temp 32 when I left this evening.

Didn't catch anything in the deeper 22'-23' feet of water. Caught all fish and marked all my fish in 14'-18'

So how do you get them to bite? I marked so many fish following my jigs and bait but only a fraction of them would bite... ???

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:26 AM »
icehogger84...  ever use perch eyes?  Sometimes that makes all the difference.

Offline jezzhuntin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Went back up to Poison creek today w/ the flu  :-\

Caught an 18 1/2" Bow and 6 perch. Kept 4 measuring 11"-13"+ Snowed all day making it tougher to get around on the ice. I think rain would be a good thing to put a crust on the top. Temp 32 when I left this evening.

Didn't catch anything in the deeper 22'-23' feet of water. Caught all fish and marked all my fish in 14'-18'

So how do you get them to bite? I marked so many fish following my jigs and bait but only a fraction of them would bite... ???

Not bad day Rob!  No fish is better than working, but a few is nice.  Not a bad laker!  I am still torn on whether to go up this weekend as I particularly don't want to fish in the rain, but I guess a toddy by the stove is an option if the weather is crappy. 

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:19 PM »
I have tried using perch eyes once and didn't seem to make a difference for the trouble of "digging them out." Guess I'll to give it another go now that I have a flasher and see if it does make a diff.

Hogger

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:47 PM »
use the big end of a paper clip. is easy and works really well.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:17 PM »
hogger not too bad of day, how long were you up there? I sure wish I would have been able too go.... those last minute things always kick my azz... really mad for not making it with you.....

I tried perch eyes when I was up there last Sat. and didn't get a hit, but was get hits and 2 fish off of a preserved minnow head....
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline jezzhuntin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:25 PM »
but was get hits and 2 fish off of a preserved minnow head....
Matt

I had some success with those last year too.  I need to find where i put that pack i vacuum sealed last year. 

Offline iwantabuggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:37 PM »
I haven't used perch eyes a lot, but every time I do it seems to be the best bait.  Somehow I can't seem to remember from one year to the next that they work so well.  I don't know what's wrong with me.  Must be getting old.
Keep your gun powder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Hey woodland,

Thanks for the tip, guess I'll have to start carrying office supplies in my rod back, lol. Seriously, I am willing to try using eyes again, something has to get the "chasers and lookers" to become "biters". I think that is a warning they should put on flashers

"The United States Angler General has determined that seeing fish chase your bait but not biting will cause: extreme frustration, fits of profanity, lingering over an unproductive hole too long and overall case of what the sam hell?"

My buddy uses minnows he saned for catching cats, I've talked to him about getting some for ice fishing. Seems like it would be worth pursuing further

Hogger

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Perch eyes have always been my preffered bait. I push in under the eye to make it bulge. After the eye bulges I push up and it pops the eye right out. When you clean your fish at home pop out a dozen or so and freeze for the next trip.....

One eye should last for 20-30 fish... I use a tear drop glow in the dark jig and use 2. The one is on the bottom and the other about 1 foot up the line. You can entice the bite with constant jigging. Keep a watch for the bobber to raise on the negative bite. It seems like the finicky fish will come up from under the jig and raise the bobber.

Keep a pole handy with a 1 ounce weight only and bang the bottom to release the silt. This will often times get the fishes attention.

Here is a pic from a good day at Magic last year doing just what I described

http://elkcrazyoutdoors.com/gallery/image/26429/2424911 

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Perch eyes have always been my preffered bait. I push in under the eye to make it bulge. After the eye bulges I push up and it pops the eye right out. When you clean your fish at home pop out a dozen or so and freeze for the next trip.....

One eye should last for 20-30 fish... I use a tear drop glow in the dark jig and use 2. The one is on the bottom and the other about 1 foot up the line. You can entice the bite with constant jigging. Keep a watch for the bobber to raise on the negative bite. It seems like the finicky fish will come up from under the jig and raise the bobber.

Keep a pole handy with a 1 ounce weight only and bang the bottom to release the silt. This will often times get the fishes attention.

Here is a pic from a good day at Magic last year doing just what I described

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Bad news Guys.
It's 37 degrees and raining hard. Did not get below freezing all night. Been warm for last 2 days.
It's not suppose to get any better for the weekend. Sorry
"We were not put on this earth to judge, just to observe"

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Hey Plumrob,

I consider that good news as long as the freezing temps hit again soon. We need all that freaking snow to melt a little and then freeze to a good solid crust. My little 340cc snowmobile cant handle all the powder and it makes it tough to walk.

Right now it sucks, but later it will be perfect for what we love and when it freezes back up I'm thinking it will extend our season well into march maybe even april...wouldn't you agree?

Offline iwantabuggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Gonna need an extention on my auger so I can reach through all the snow and ice, though.
Keep your gun powder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2011, 01:02 PM »
Yes. I would love to see it freeze up and get some better conditions on the ice. It's just going to make it slushy and crappy conditions for a week or so. NOAA says its going to be warm up here for a while. Rain and Snow. That would be ok if we can get rid of some snow. We need it gone to be able to build some more Ice. There is not as much Ice as I'm used to seeing and it was slushy under the snow.  
"We were not put on this earth to judge, just to observe"

Offline jezzhuntin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2011, 02:28 PM »
There is not as much Ice as I'm used to seeing and it was slushy under the snow.  

I know! it was kinda eary being out there on New Years day when it was -25 and slush under the snow, (and it wasn't really freezing after i pushed the snow away) not to mention there was only 2-1/2" of good ice down from my cabin 100 yards out!

I had stuff packed to come up this afternoon, but the hell with it.  Stay home and work on my boat instead. 

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Was up there for the Kids Ice Fishing Day on Saturday and due to the great turnout, the ice from the boat ramp is pretty torn up with all the foot traffic.  The weather was also fantastic, so what was on top mixed with the slush below.  It was a pretty wet sloppy mess by the time we left.  Need some freezing nights and no snow to get that slush frozen up.
"I've gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water." ~ William Tapply

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

Offline Zolar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Heading there in the a.m.  Poison Creek seems to be producing a little, anybody doing any good off Crown Point, by the dam, or Blue Herron?

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Went up today sun jan 23. My buddy was sick so not a great trip. Anyway, starting to figure out a pattern I think on the perch. Came home w/ only 4 but we'll see next time. Came home w/ 1-11", 1-12", 1-13+ and 1-14" nice for just four.....

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2011, 09:26 PM »
We fished by the dam yesterday. Nothing over there, but finally marked a bunch of perch at Crown Point by the cove with the boat docks. Everything was small, but they were definitely there and very finicky.

Brentster7189

« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Heading there in the a.m.  Poison Creek seems to be producing a little, anybody doing any good off Crown Point, by the dam, or Blue Herron?

I was at Blue Herron today.  Got one Coho I thought, might be Kokanee, and one 13" Perch.  Nothing too exciting.  Lots of light strikes couldn't set the hook on them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.