Author Topic: Cooking up bluegills  (Read 1877 times)

Offline untamedinc

• IceShanty Rookie
Cooking up bluegills
« on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:40 PM »
I have been getting a lot of small meat chunks from all the bluegills I have cleaned this year. Other than dipping them in Shore Lunch and deep frying them, anyone have another recipe for cooking up these small pieces of bluegill meat that they recommend?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Cooking up bluegills
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:55 PM »
fishcakes  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:59 PM »
hey bud i hate shore lunches taste i use crushed crackers or corn flakes.  dip your fillets in whipped egges then dip into crushed crackers or corn flakes then fry them in olive oil in the skillet.  just my 2 cents.
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:02 PM »
blue gill fish tacos are pretty good. i beer batter the fillets place 2 or 3 on a warm tortilla and top with cheese sliced cabbage and a baja sauce that my fiance makes. mmh

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:36 PM »
1 Part shore lunch,1 part pancake mix,1 part panko bread crumbs,1 part corn meal
Some parsley,basil,fresh cracked black pepper,some salt of course,some dried lemon peel
And of course a PBR for the beer batter mixed to the consistency of pancake batter.  I shake up the beer before hand to get it really bubbly and foamy that really seems to help the thickness of the batter.  Put all ur fillets in a small ziploc bag and just shake em up coat em nice and fry.  I just mix up a huge batch of dry batter at the beggining of the year it lasts me all year.

And peanut oil at about 400f .  Just fried up a few gills last nite actually.  Put em on a sourdough bun with a tomato and a hunk of lettuce and a lil bit of tartar sauce. Those little fillets stack on a sandwich well.  mmmmm @)

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:41 PM »
I was planning on pickling some of the smaller bluegill or perch I get.

Offline Eisfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 03:33 PM »
Egg wash ,Crushed ritz crackers and sautee with butter over med low heat

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:30 PM »
I agree with the corn flakes for the best mix.  Have been baking alot in bread crumbs also, not as good but healthier.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Poach them in water with sea salt and Old Bay till tender. Rinse and chill on a bowl of ice. Serve with lemon and cocktail sauce.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline glh150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Now I'm gonna have to try that........"gill cocktail"
Hib

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Once again fixit has come up with something I am going to have to try. That sounds good.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Poach them in water with sea salt and Old Bay till tender. Rinse and chill on a bowl of ice. Serve with lemon and cocktail sauce.

RG
we do this also,try putting some vineager in use 1/2 cup of vin. to 2 cups water let the fish soak for a bit then drop them in boiling water with some old bay in it,there done very fast,the vineager stiffens up the fish,some people make mock lobster like this also,you can play around with the amount of vin. you use

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.