Author Topic: Steelhead  (Read 1811 times)

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Steelhead
« on: Jan 07, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Caught 4 steelhead to start out the year. January 1 after a slow start I finally moved for the third time and caught an 18 and 20 incher and lost a screamer on tip ups. Jan 2 Went back out where I left off on Sat and nailed two right shortly after I got set up both of them 20 inchers. Then nothing the rest of the morning. Cooked them up on Sun night and what a good dinner.

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:18 PM »
where you fishing at?

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Marquette Harbor  ;D

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Got into the big ones Jan 8 & 9.  18" 26" 28" 31" the biggest one was about 12 pounds. All caught through the ice on tip ups. Plus several brown trout were caught and released. The first time that I have ever caught brown trout through the ice. Nice getting browns and bowsl through the ice at the same location

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Lake huron Bob?     A 12 lb steelie through the ice would be awesome!   Id rather catch them on a rod then hand line a tip up though.   Or do u run tip ups with rods and reels?  Like a automatic fisherman style

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:35 PM »
I don't generally use a rod and reel for my winter time steelhead fishing unless I am on L Michigan. I has also been way too cold lately to use a rod and reel. Just your standard tip up with a spawn bag on the bottom in about 4 feet of water. I have plenty of salmon and steelhead spawn saved up for bait. At least enough to get me through the winter. I do not think that the slammers will work well, because alot of times the fish grab it drop it and grab it again.

Offline Menotyou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:28 PM »
just off the docks in the harbor? I try to check it when im out on delievries but it always looks crackly and sketchy.  I would love to walk down Washington with my auger over my shoulder.

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:38 PM »
Just to keep you safe, don't try it if it looks sketchy.  I was just trying to divert a bit since I know where Bob is fishing.  He's not in Marquette.

My appoligies....

Though, I do hear they do alright somewhere near MQT.  I'm not sure the exact location though.

Offline Menotyou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:49 AM »
I took a little extra time after a delivery and actually went down to the dock slips and looked around, looked like people were actually out in the slips fishing which looks pretty safe since its really sheltered.   

But no that's not where the catching was going on  :P

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:14 PM »
My buddy and I were the ones out in the slips in Lower Harbor. We've fished them several times and it generally sucks, not recomended. As for the Lower Harbor ice, I was able to walk out on it once so far this year, but that was on my lunch break and when I got off work to fish the wind had busted it all up.
Good Fishin!!!

Offline bigkerrdogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:50 AM »
What are you targeting in the slips? 

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Milwaukee harbor they catch steelhead and brown trout in the marina slips....marquette harbor u will be lucky if u catch a little water wolf!  LoL

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:05 PM »
We've tried just about everything. Mainly pike tip ups and jiggin for perch or whities. We only go out there when we don't have tme to leave town and the Harbor isn't frozen, but we got on the harbor all day yesterday and got a few fish, ice all blew out this mornin though.
Good Fishin!!!

Offline fishtrap21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Looks like you're "Lurking" again Bigkerrdogg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.