The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: sled  (Read 1404 times)

Offline westonp

• IceShanty Rookie
sled
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:44 PM »
I am a college student just getting into ice fishing and loving everything so far but the prices. lake arther is about 30 minutes from kittanning so the gas doesn't help the money situation any. already bought a shelter and all the essentials. I have been using a plastic sled to transport everything (kids sled) it is just too small with too low of sides. i have been trying to look for a used ice fishing sled but with no success. I'm starting to kick around the idea of building one. I have seen that many people have done this but i'm not sold on the idea. It would be very heavy since i would be building it out of wood. any ideas of something else to use?

Offline MO FISH jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: sled
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:41 AM »
Show me your sleds!!! « 1 2 ... 14 15 »

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:48 AM »
This is a pic of my rig:

Plastic sled with low sides - I bolted/washered a Rubbermaid container to the deck of the sled (I sandwiched a piece of 1/2 in plywood between the bottom of the box and the sled to make it rigid and give the bolts something to grasp.

The two eye hooks in the end of the Rubbermaid box are for attaching a bungie, which holds my bucket seat in place. Inside my bucket seat is a smaller bucket which carries my most used gear.

Inside the box is a life vest, throw rope, extra bungies, and extra tipups.
There is plenty of room for other stuff - including a small stove.

The auger stays in place attached with a singlebungie cord.

I have no shelter or gas auger. I take the minimalist approach.

The best thing about my setup is that it slides right into the back door of my Blazer - when seats are folded down, and fits perfectly between the two rear doors - no need to shuffle all my other gear inthe back of the truck.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:40 AM »
Take a look at the "Smitty Sled"..  cheap, compact, easy to make and works great !!
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:07 AM »
Go to lowes and pic up a concrete mixing tub.  There dirt cheap, like $12, and very similar to a jet sled. Good thick plastic, runners on the bottom, and high sides.  You can't go wrong for the price. Just drill a hole and put a rope in it.  I'll snap a few pics of mine and post here in a bit.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:44 AM »
you can make a light weight sled out of conduit,thats if you know someone with a bender,you can also use pvc pipe,you can get really creative with that stuff theres pics here somewhere with some home grown sleds

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Here is a picture of the "hybrid sled" my son and I built.  It is a combination of the "Smitty Sled" with PVC framework and a luan floor.

Now this isn't the "completed" picture, but I will snap a few pics out on the ice tomorrow and post them.  It is super light and pulls like a dream!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Stivvy83

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hey, Your end one's up!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2011, 12:57 PM »
I screwed a peice of 1/4 inch plywood to the top of my sled, cut out the shape of the sled then cut out holes for my mini bucket to fit in and cut out o hole for a tote to put everything else in. then put eyelets on the sides to bungy coed everything tight works great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.