Author Topic: wear strips for sleds?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
wear strips for sleds?
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:10 PM »
does anyone use these on their sleds? if so do they work well? i was thinking of making my own from material used for wear strips on conveyor. are the products sold pre-bent or are they straight? any info would be helpful.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Re: wear strips for sleds?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:19 PM »
I bought the wear strips for both of my Clam Traps from Clam.  They were not pre bent, but after bolting them on to the flat side, a hair dryer allowed me to form them to the curves of the sled easily.

-Jeff

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:23 PM »
I do not have any on mine and I can't say that my sled shows that much wear that it would warrant me buying any either.  If I remember from seeing them in the stores, they were straight and you have to form them on the leading edge.  I use a rope on my sled but they make the bars for them that I have thought about getting for the ATV.   I think if you were dragging the sled on pavement a lot, loaded it might be worth the investment.  Heck today all these places are after the $$$ and come up with a lot of add on items to complement your purchase.

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live In A Van Down By The River..........
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:26 PM »
I built my shanty on skis and put 1/4" thick, 2 inch wide strip to cover the bottom of the ski.  I used High Density Polyethylene strips....  My dad is a plastics design engineer and he told me this is called the poor man's kevlar and very very strong.  I have to say it was the best thing I did when building the shanty.  This is a big heavy shanty that is nearly 7' wide and about 10 feet long and it slides through the snow and on the ice like butter and on and off my trailer real well.  You can call plastics manufacturers and probably can find that they have left over scraps of this and purchase for a decent price(this is what I did).  You can drill holes in it and then counter sink the hole so your screws won't get damaged.

A dry line will never catch a fish.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:32 PM »
With a atv you end up who knows where unloading, The bottem would be gone in one trip.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:37 PM »
I built my shanty on skis and put 1/4" thick, 2 inch wide strip to cover the bottom of the ski.  I used High Density Polyethylene strips....  My dad is a plastics design engineer and he told me this is called the poor man's kevlar and very very strong.  I have to say it was the best thing I did when building the shanty.  This is a big heavy shanty that is nearly 7' wide and about 10 feet long and it slides through the snow and on the ice like butter and on and off my trailer real well.  You can call plastics manufacturers and probably can find that they have left over scraps of this and purchase for a decent price(this is what I did).  You can drill holes in it and then counter sink the hole so your screws won't get damaged.

I use the same material, and yes it does make a big difference!  Especially when you are pulling one with an ATV or snowmobile.

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:52 PM »
An old pair of skis works great. If you pull any sled or hut without some form of protection on the bottom you will get wear holes, especially pulled by ATV or snowmobile.

JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live In A Van Down By The River..........
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:20 PM »
With a atv you end up who knows where unloading, The bottem would be gone in one trip.

With high density polyethylene.... you could pull your sled with an atv on the freeway for a couple weeks and still not wear down to the sled itself.  Do some research on it.  Its some work and an investment--but you won't have to worry for a very long time.

A dry line will never catch a fish.

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:20 AM »
My buddy wore holes through the back corners of his sled in just a couple of years. I just got a new sled and put them on, cheaper than buying another sled, or hasseling with  patching the old sled.
Gregg

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:26 AM »
I used old slides from my snowmobile, if you have a snowmobile shop around go and ask them they will probably give you some old ones that will still last for years on your fishing sled.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:23 AM »
You can buy the Tefon Stips in any size from USPlastics.com Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:44 AM »
I need a pair...

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:20 AM »
i need to get some.my commando has been out 5 times and there is already some deep scratches and wear.sucks ya gotta drill a bunch of holes in the sled to prevent wear holes.im gonna use old snowmobile slides and willl just 1 on each side be good enough?

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:37 AM »
I dont know about 2 pieces, I just got the kit from frabill and it was 4 pcs.

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:15 PM »
thanks for all the info. looks like i have another project.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.