The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wheatland #3  (Read 4379 times)

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
Wheatland #3
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:47 PM »
I heard that #3 was stocked over this last summer ???  Anyone know if it is true? Also any fishing reports from this lake would be great. Thanks all.

Offline thissilentstar

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wheatland #3
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Here is a thread where it is discussed slightly:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=156595.0

Sounds like it was stocked a bit the last two years - with some very good growth.  The first round has grown to 18"+    Has a great variety of fish there too.  I have never been there, but have been thinking of going sometime.  Afraid it might be slow fishing - could be fun though!

Here is what was in one of the Game & Fish Newsletters:

"...several hatcheries were utilized to provide 237,000 1 to
3 inch fish for stocking in the fall of 2009. With this
effort a total of 265,400 fish were stocked. Species
stocked were Colorado River cutthroat, Snake River
cutthroat, Bear River cutthroat, brown trout and rainbow
trout."

Let us know if you give it a try!

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Thanks for that i had no idea they stocked it whith that many fish i will have to try and get up there this month and see if can do any good. Before they drained the water out i used to either get skunked of limit out in a couple of hours. My father in-law caught a 26" cut out of there when the lake was split into 3-4 lakes because it was so low. I will let eveyone know when i am headed up there. Thanks again!

;D

Offline thissilentstar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Yeah I would love to hear if anyone does any good out there.  one more lake to try you know.  I don't really like the Plains Lakes.

Someone mentioned catching nice 18" ones this fall before the ice.

Offline HOOPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:27 PM »
I have fished #3 this year three times. The first time was right when the ice was just good enough to walk on. Fishing was pretty good then and the fish were nice footballs. The next time I went the fishing had slowed down a little. Caught 4 in about 5 hours. The last time I was up there was the middle of December and was slow. Only seen one fish on the vex and it wasn't interested.

Hope this helps
I only work to fish.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:45 PM »
I grew up around number three. The reason they restocked it was because of winter kill. The res. was two ponds for some time. The game and fish restocked when the water was up to the boat ramp. According to the fish biologist out of Laramie the reason that the trout grow so well is because the amount of fresh water shrimp. My grandpa has told me stories of catching very large fish out of there. It is a good fishery and i hope that it can climb back up to where it was.

Offline Stinkerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Hoopa,  just curious what was the size of the fish you were catching.   Several years ago, #3 was one of my favorite lakes to ice fish---weather permitting.

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:02 PM »
weather permitting.

Thats the key phrase!!  Only Hattie challenges Wheatland #3 for wind, and its been BAD this week!  It would be fun to hook into one of those monster carp out there.

Offline HOOPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Hoopa,  just curious what was the size of the fish you were catching.   Several years ago, #3 was one of my favorite lakes to ice fish---weather permitting.

Most were 16-18" but I did catch a couple smaller 12-14 inch so it looks like they have a couple classes in there.
I only work to fish.

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:32 AM »
I just got a road report from a local that lives on Tunnel Rd.  He said the county plows were going off of the road yesterday trying to get though and gave up.  Looks like you may be able to get up there from the Rock River side but be carefull of the drifts- there are getting pretty hard...

Offline Squirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2011, 11:55 AM »
I am thinking of going to Toltec tomorrow. I will have to go in either near Medicine bow or Rock River. If anyone has a road report for this area please let me know.

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:25 PM »
I am thinking of going to Toltec tomorrow. I will have to go in either near Medicine bow or Rock River. If anyone has a road report for this area please let me know.
Did you make it to Toltec? How was the fishing?

Offline Squirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:48 PM »
I never made it to Toltec. I tried going up Brae road from Douglas and only got half way.  I have a hard time going the Rock River route because I could be fishing Pathy by the time I get there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.