Author Topic: Ice Auger Battery  (Read 1666 times)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
Ice Auger Battery
« on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Hey guys, I have the Strikemaster electric auger. The battery is shot. The replacement battery that strikemaster sells is expensive, does it matter if I get a different battery from someone else? It uses a 12 volt 9amp so if the voltage and ampage are the same will another one work? Does the size of the battery matter? Would a battery with less ampage say like 8 be ok?

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Auger Battery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:32 PM »
How many years have you had it?  When researching augers I thought about the electric augers, but, then I remember how my cordless drill reacts in cold temps & I said the H--l with it. Either the batteries are dead when go to use or there is no power.  I'm not sold on cordless augers.  I still believe that cold air & batteries don't mix well.

How much are the replacement batteries, anyway?   Good luck.

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Melrose...I have had mine just about since they came out, a good 5 years I'd say. I absolutely love it! No buying gas, and than worry about the mixture or any of that. No fumes or getting gas on you while using it, it's quiet and pretty light also. With a good battery I've done around 30 holes in a day.

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline hbomb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY FISHY
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:14 PM »
I have the same auger and the battery went dab and I replaced it with  12v 8amp and it fits the same,no noticable differance in power either, ;)

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:30 PM »
The size of the battery has to fit in the battery box at least unless you're using the external jumper cables. I would definately stay with a 9amp to keep the power up. Make sure the termials are the same size on the battery. The $34 battery from strikemaster is probably $10.00 more then the cheapest one that you might find. I just paid the money from Strikemaster for the sure thing when I bought my extra battery.
Invest in a good battery charger like the Battery Tender Jr. for best charging results.

The cold weather has no apparent affect on my Electra Lazer. It goes every time I push the button ......... Love it to death. My Strikemaster gas is long gone. .............
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2011, 08:45 PM »
I went to the local electrical supply outlet and got two 12v 7.5ah PM brand batts for $16 each. Might be worth checking out.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2011, 06:54 AM »
Just get a sportsmans battery ... I'd get the same specs- 12v 9amp hr. If you buy a battery with less, say 8 or 7.5, you will not be happy. There is a reason the 8 and 7.5 amp hr. battery are so much cheaper. Get the 9 amp hr. 12v and you're set.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.