Author Topic: Jason Mitchell Rods anyone use them  (Read 2533 times)

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jason Mitchell Rods anyone use them
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 02:30 PM »
Looking for a new rod and found some good post on other IS forums I am looking at the model with a built in strike indicator anyone here have one

Thanks

Offline northwoodstraveler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is good...
Re: Jason Mitchell Rods anyone use them
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:06 PM »
I use a Jason Mitchell Elite Series 36MH Mackinaw with a Abu GarciaŽ 5500 Ambassadeur Classic C3 Casting Reel for Togue fishing. Super set up for jigging big Togue in deep water. JM rods are top quality.
The surest way for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:11 PM »
They seem to be a real good rod I am looking for something for crappie and perch for the light biters I appreciate the post I hope you were able to get your user name issued ironed out

Offline northwoodstraveler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is good...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:17 PM »
They seem to be a real good rod I am looking for something for crappie and perch for the light biters I appreciate the post I hope you were able to get your user name issued ironed out
everything worked out well... many thanks go to TinyTim he was a BIG help!
The surest way for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

Offline heavycat78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:37 PM »
I have the Jason Mitchell 24" Spring Bobber Rod and love it. The rod itself is a little stiff(probably a medium light) but with the spring bobber it still shows the light bites. I usually have mine paired up with a 3 or 4mm Fiskas jig. The Jason Mitchell Meatstick rod might also be worth looking into. I don't have one but have seen it in a store. It's a glass rod with good backbone and a very sensitive tip. Would be great for those slabs!

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:39 PM »
I have the Jason Mitchell 24" Spring Bobber Rod and love it. The rod itself is a little stiff(probably a medium light) but with the spring bobber it still shows the light bites. I usually have mine paired up with a 3 or 4mm Fiskas jig. The Jason Mitchell Meatstick rod might also be worth looking into. I don't have one but have seen it in a store. It's a glass rod with good backbone and a very sensitive tip. Would be great for those slabs!
That is the one I am looking at looks like a very sensistive tip

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:57 PM »
I also have the spring bobber rod by JM.  I love that thing.  Really deadly on panfish and crappies.  You will know if they sniff it at all.  Great rod and decent price.  I wouldn't have any hesitation picking another one up. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:11 PM »
My main rod is a Jason Mitchell elite 24" panfish. I'd reccomend that or the meat stick.

Offline SMALMTH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:26 PM »
I have the 20" and the 28" Meatstick with the orange/yellow tip. These rods are excellent for light bites. It took me a bit to get used to them, but I highly recommend the Meatstick for bluegill, pearch, and crappie fishing.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:29 AM »
I use a Jason mitchell meatstick, the rip is super lite, no need for a strike indicator. I have not tried the Jason mitchell rods with the spring bobber, but so far all three of my Mitchell's are quality rods

If you want the best strike indicator on the market you have to go with St. Croix legend

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:16 AM »
I have two meatsticks (20 and 24inch) and a 26 inch perch and 24inch panfish. all four are very nice rods. The meatsticks are awesome and have become my main rods. Use the perch for riping spoons when perch fishing.

J-

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:07 AM »
   I  have a Jason Mitchell 20" spring bobber rod. Father-in-law has the 24" spring bobber rod.  We both like them, very nice rods.  I also like my St. Croix Legend.(spring bobber)  Seen a post the other day on Ice Shanty, I think it was on here anyway.  Guy was saying the tip on his Jason Mitchell meat stick broke.  Then some one else chimed in and said his broke too.  Don't know how they treat equipment either though. Or they just got lemons. I looked at the meat sticks though and liked the feel of them.  I also keep my rods in a hard sided case now. (Otter)  I have broken enough tips on rods to pay for several hard sided cases.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:39 PM »
JM 38" Special Ice Rod - also refered to as the Laker rod.  Great for taming Pikes, Catfish, and big Walleyes.  Works fine for big Crappies and big Perch too.

My old 27" meatstick broke and I babied mine too.  I was very dissappointed in that it happened to me too.  I didn't get to fully test its merits out on many other fish.  But it's fixed and almost two inches shorter and working more in a funny way, but okay for the most part.  It's my dedicated fly reel set up for putting the hurt on the perch and the sunnies.

Those new meatstick with the candy stripped tip section looks flowery in a mesmerizing hypnotic way.   ;D 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2011, 03:29 PM »
I have two, a 20" and a 24", and they both work great. I couldnt be happier.  ;D

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I have several JM 28 " meat sticks and they are very nice rods, only problem ,,you have to be vary careful with the tip , they break very easy...   I have a Thorne Bros 28 " power noodle and I love it but the cost ,, That's what the JM meat stick is trying to copy.   If I keep breaking the tips I will be buying another power Noodle..  Also I Like the JM 500 reels   Very nice, I would but them in a heart beat...

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:23 PM »
I won one on a contest here on IS   let ya know what I think when I get it   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:39 PM »
I won one on a contest here on IS   let ya know what I think when I get it   lol

Just talked to the main man, re:the prizes are packaged and being addressed. YEAH !

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I've felt a few of the new rods with the Clam collaboration.  The longer handles is great.  I think the overall rods are also lighter.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.