The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 2 stroke auger oil  (Read 3140 times)

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
2 stroke auger oil
« on: Dec 28, 2004, 12:34 PM »
I figured I post on the main forum so I get more replies.  I'm about to mix 1 gal of gas with the factory recommended 25:1 mixture of two stroke mineral oil and i'm having second thoughts.  I know it's gonna be rich, smokey,  smelly, it will foul my plug and puke all over the exchaust.  I read about AmsOil and Opti-2 two stroke synthetics and they recommend  something like 100:1  mixing ratios  which seems like very lean.  I don't want to kill my auger so I was wandering if anyone could pitch in some feedback,  what synthetics you use, for how long, and how do u like it?????      Thanks,                                    Jig

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2 stroke auger oil
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2004, 12:45 PM »
I dont have an ice auger but i race motocross. I have tried Amsoil at 40 to 1 but my favoritre is torco GP7 synthetic @ 40:1. After the preffered time for a piston take it all apart and i was amazed at how the oil had every thing lubricated so nicely. $13 canadian per litre but worth every penny. Ask local dealer if it is suitable for such a motor. I run torco in lawnmower, weedwacker and justabout every 2 stroke machine on the farm.
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2004, 01:28 PM »
Opti2 and Amsoil Saber can be run safely at 100:1 mix. The reason it these oils have little to no solvents which give them as good or better lubrication properties at 100:1 then floro carbon based oils at 25:1 ratio.  They are two different beasts.  I run Amsoil in my stuff and have not had any problems yet. I spoke to Amsoil at lenght before I decded on it. If you don't want to run it at 100:1, then try 75:1. You will still be burning cleaner.

Just a note...DO NOT try running standard oils at 100:1 mix in you augers. That will be bad news.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2004, 02:05 PM »
well,  I spoke with the customer service for the Eskimo Shark and they grudgingly agreed that i can use the synthetic  2 stroke since i'm past my warranty, but not to go any thiner than 50:1.  But then again,  they told me to break in the engine with 10 oz of oil to one galon few years ago and when I asked for the spark plug gap I was told " 0.5mm"  today  :o,   I think if I go with advice from this board,  I can not possibly do any worse ,,,ha,,ha,,!                J.

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2004, 02:55 PM »
JW,
  I have played with alot of the syntheyics in all kinds of power equiptment,they do burn cleaner. What I would suggest is run as rich an oil mix as possible without fouling the plug (yes I know it will smoke) it will increase engine life.Keep in mind the only lubrication a 2 cycle gets is from that mix..I say this based on some experience with the tree cutting business and saws etc running everyday for years before they retire to be used around someone s house.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:27 PM »
I only use hand augers, but I do know a little about 2 cycle engines. I have always believed  better too rich than too lean. I wouldn't go leaner than 50:1. Check your plug. If it is fouled, go a little leaner.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:42 PM »
Wyogator, I tried oil in my "armstrong" auger, but I found that it did not do a hell of a lot for my shoulders.  It works a whole lot better in my Tanaka engine! ;D ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:32 PM »
Wyogator, I tried oil in my "armstrong" auger, but I found that it did not do a hell of a lot for my shoulders.  It works a whole lot better in my Tanaka engine! ;D ;D

Maybe you got to mix richer Bushbunny or is it your plug fouling . LOL ;D As far as the mixture and Opti 2 . This stuff is the cats meow. Mix it whatever you want but even at a 100-1 it exceeds any of the others specs at 25 to 1 . I had reservations at first too but not anymore .I read and read on it and thanks to Bushbunny and others I am a believer and have never looked back . Heck if anybody wants to drop around my place I must have a gallon and a half of the other oil for mix kicking around and its the better stuff but not synthetic and it's yours for the taking because I'll never use it again but only OPTI 2 at 100-1 .

TD

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2004, 09:13 AM »
LMAO

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2004, 02:39 PM »
Trapperdirk and bushbunny - Thanks to you guys, I am now a convert to using Opti-2 at 100:1 in my 2001 Jiffy 30 Legend.  It runs cleaner, much less smoke, and no problems with oil dripping from the exhaust.  Ran 24:1 oil up to this winter.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.