Author Topic: Too Busy Fishing!!  (Read 2170 times)

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Too Busy Fishing!!
« on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Been too busy fishing to post any pictures this year ;D  I did finally start a spreadsheet for logging my fishing trips.

14-Dec, 5-6:30PM, Tippy   Caught a couple small gills, but wasn't dressed to fish so headed to the bar.
16-Dec, 5-7PM, Tippy   5 Gills (7-8").
17-Dec, 7-12:30PM, Wawasee   Caught over 100 gills, tons of sorting had 20 that I kept @ 7-8.5".  One Large Mouth 16" who went back down the hole.  Had two nice Pike hit the jig and another very large swim past the camera.  Also had 2 very large Bass lurking around.  Saw a few Crappie but couldn't get them to bite.

18-Dec, 7-9:30AM, Wawasee   Caught 40 or so gills but again a ton of sorting netted 10 keepers 7-9".   
19-Dec, 8-11AM, Syracuse   Tried fishing down through a weed bed with no luck.  Moved to the edge of the bed and caught 2 nice gills right away then they shut-off.
24-Dec, 7-12:30PM, Syracuse   Edge of weedbed again.  Caught quite a few nice gills, saw a ton of bass swimming through.  Then started to see pike. Caught a decent bass and then started catching some really nice gills.  Started to throw the smaller gills back and the third one I threw back sank to the bottom and was trying to swim off when a pike came in and hammered it.  Got a few pictures and a short video of it swimming off with the gill.  Ended up with 62 gills, 2 Crappie & 1 Perch.  Missed one big Bass or Pike that straigtened my Treble Hook on the spoon I had out with a small gill.

Pike swimming off with gill in it's mouth.

26-Dec, 7-2PM, Syracuse   Edge of weedbed again.  Caught a bunch of nice gills and a couple crappie.  Again saw a ton of bass and pike swimming through.  We had tipups out and managed 3 Bass on tipups.  First two 1.5-2lbs and 3rd was close to 4lb.  I picked the smallest gill we had in the pile which was 6.5-7" and threw it on my artic warrior.  Within 10 minutes my pole was doubled over.  Set the hook and landed a 34" Northern.

27-Dec, 8:30-12PM, Wawasee   Went out to see how the perch were doing.  Caught quite a few small guys and saw two huge perch on the camera.  The first wouldn't bite and the second bit but broke my hook right off the jig when I set the hook.  Picture of a monster perch caught with my new quiverstick.

28-Dec, 7-11AM, Wawasee   Again caught a few small guys and one decent 10".  Saw a few schools of nice fish but couldn’t get them to bite.
29-Dec, 9-1PM, Private Pond   Caught way over a hundred fish and ended up keeping 45-50 nice gills and a few crappie.
30-Dec, 7-12PM, Private Pond   Slaughtered the Gills and Crappie, caught over a 100 fish/man (3 guys fishing).  Kept a 5 gallon bucket full of 8-9" gills and crappie.
30-Dec, 3-5:30PM, Syracuse   Managed a few decent gills and one small pike on a tip-up.
31-Dec, 7-10AM, Bonar    Very wet, ice still good 6".  Caught 20 keepers gills and two decent Crappie. 

Cleaned just over 200 gills & crappie from the 29,30 & 31st.

Offline JesseG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Too Busy Fishing!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Too Busy Fishing?  Now thats a problem I would love to have....  :-\

Nice batch though.  Nice work!!!

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Too Busy Fishing?  Now thats a problem I would love to have....  :-\

Nice batch though.  Nice work!!!
Yeah what he said!!!
Let me know if you need any help!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Had to use up the vacation days before the end of the year.  I also forgot to mention that I got checked twice for licenses.  No big deal except the second officer after checking our licenses asked us if we had our Name/Address on our Shanties that we were sitting in when he walked up.  Uhhh no we are fishing in them and we aren't leaving them on the ice.  He says well it's a new law that was passed earlier in the year, he asked for my buddy and I's licenses which we started to get out and he said forget it he had left his warning book in his truck.  So just a heads up they are looking for names/address's on your shanties (he also asked about tip-ups which we already had marked).

This was on Syracuse and I had never seen the officer before (Young guy).

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Nice post!    What is the rod holder set up you are using in the pic by your right shoulder of you with the bass? 

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:12 PM »
That's a Clam Arctic Warrior, and had Brent Gaff make me a pole and an Okuma Instinct baitcaster.

First year using it and it is working great, much more fun to fight the fish on a rod than just pulling them up by hand.  There is a metal piece that you can either velcro or tape to your rod handle and that sets in a cradle on the blue base.  When a fish takes the line it will tip the rod when then sets off the flag. Here's a little better picture of it.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:41 PM »
great post...love the updates!!! stay on em!!!!

:clap:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 02:00 PM »
Awsome post!! Glad to see somebody is out catching fish... Im still in limbo waiting on my hand to finish healing. Next weekend IT's ON!!

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2011, 02:34 PM »
great post ....you are one lucky dude to make the time to get out there and fish instead of just talking about it...way to go !
Duane

Offline Jay K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011, 02:55 PM »
Great report and pics; Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Between Hoosier (jt) shooting vids, and you with the pike shots on the aqua view folks are really raising the bar around here! Gotta love it!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Awesome report.  Looks like you have been hitting the right spots.  Keep up the good work.

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:06 PM »
That's a Clam Arctic Warrior, and had Brent Gaff make me a pole and an Okuma Instinct baitcaster.

First year using it and it is working great, much more fun to fight the fish on a rod than just pulling them up by hand.  There is a metal piece that you can either velcro or tape to your rod handle and that sets in a cradle on the blue base.  When a fish takes the line it will tip the rod when then sets off the flag. Here's a little better picture of it.

(Image removed from quote.)

Sweet set up!  Thanks for the info.  I have a rod that will work perfect for that set up......   Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!!!

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Great post.  Glad there was a break in the action so we could see your fine work.  Got wore out looking at all those fish.  Gonna have to go lay down and take a nap now and feel like a rookie ice fisherman

HHD

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:25 PM »
That's one heck of a report!  It looks like you used your vacation days wisely.  Keep on them and some day down the road we'll have to me up and search for some perch.  No white bass???

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Wow...you have hammered them pretty good.  Great report and nice catches!  Take all those toothy critters you can out of the lakes!!!

Offline beau2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:06 PM »
Thanks for the great report and the info on the Arctic Warrior.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:19 PM »
How do you like your quiver stick set up with the fly reel? Looks like a sweet set up. I,ve thrown around the idea of putting a fly reel on my sweetheart rod.Should solve a lot of line twist problems.
Also great ice fishing season for ya so far!
Paul

Offline Go-Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Awsome post, thanks for all the info and that has got to be alot more fun with a rod......... off to see Brent !!!!

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Way to put the hurts on the fish ZR!

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Wow, unbelieveable post!!! Congrats and thanks for sharing all the detail.

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:11 AM »
No white bass yet, haven't even tried to locate them but I know where they are hanging out.  It was Feb.2 @ 7:57PM when I caught my first one last year ;)

Love the quiverstick and fly reel combo for shallow water fishing.  The whole concept is less line twist off of the fly reel, which it does have based on watching my jig in the camera.  Only downfall is fishing deep water takes for ever to pull line off the reel vs. tripping the bail on a spinning reel.  I have a perch, sweetheart, quiverstick and the power noodle from Thorne Bros. and of them the noodle gets used the most.  If you haven't tried one you would be amazed, no need for a spring bobber with the noodle.

Brent can fix you up, I need to have him build up a few more for me.

Offline countryboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:22 AM »
yup id say u have been gettin at em...STAY ON EM!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Great post ZR!  Obviously you have been pounding them....I like your style for multi-species.  Keep it up and good fishin!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:30 AM »
A short video of the Pike swimming away with the Gill.  I was trying to take a picture of the camera screen and by the time I figured out the damn video camera on my phone was a better way to go the pike was headed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO4Ot22-ssw

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:14 AM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: absolutelly "AWSOME" report. That's what I call"Icefishing". If you find time keep them coming.Or keep-on working hard. lol.
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2011, 01:18 PM »
nice pics keep on them bro. :thumbsup:
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict