Author Topic: Mansfield 12/30/10  (Read 632 times)

Offline Tom_in_CT

• IceShanty Rookie
Mansfield 12/30/10
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Went out to mansfield with a friend on 12/30.  between 4.5 and 6 inches of ice then, sure it's a little less by now.  The pike weren't cooperating, we only caught 2 in the 18-22 inch range on 5 inch suckers.  I was able to jig up 3 crappie 12-12.5".  Overall a nice day.  And as always, someone had to drill withing 40 feet of our tip ups on a day that wasnt even close to crowded.  oh well, I kept my big mouth shut and played nice.  It was my first time using the ICE 55.  I like that a lot, makes jigging MUCH more productive!

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
Re: Mansfield 12/30/10
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:32 PM »
I caught my first nice pike at Mansfield. It gave our canoe a Nantucket sleighride.

I've found that it's a slow fishery, but the fish it gives up are often unusually impressive. That monster catfish came through the ice there a few years ago, and it also produced the state record rainbow trout if I'm not mistaken.  Very big fish, but maybe not a lot of fish (or maybe I don't know it well enough).
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline tboarder2602

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Tom in CT,

Nice fish.  Thanks for the report, I was wondering how the ice on Mansfield was doing and hadn't been able to make a scouting trip up that way yet. Only fished there in the summer months.  After the temps this weekend I think I'll wait a bit before getting up there.

-Tom

Offline Tom_in_CT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Not sure bow it is now, but a few. Cold nights will help

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.