Author Topic: Any good advice is appreciated! Funny story  (Read 1135 times)

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
Any good advice is appreciated! Funny story
« on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:43 PM »
I hate to admit this embarrassing story but I am sure it was quite hilarious to the other ice fishermen who saw this.   My 15 yr old son and I set out on a hot crappie bite in a Iowa lake 2 years ago and were putting up our Shappel S4000.   I was inside and my son was supposed to be holding on to the shack outside while I was installing the floor ice anchors.  Well he stepped into the shack and we took off spinning and flying across the lake.   I think we went about a 1/2 mile before we stopped.   He thought that was a blast and wanted to do it again.  Moral of the story is in any wind or not make sure those ice anchors are the 1st thing installed before erecting the remainder of the shelter.    Any other good advice I should know?  Other than the obvious of checking ice conditions.  Am I the only guy this has ever happened to?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Any good advice is appreciated! Funny story
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Nope!!!! I learned years ago with MY Shappel 4000 to have my big butt sitting on the floor in it on a windy day after it's up....DO NOT walk away from it, because chasing your house down the ice does NOTHING for your ice-fisherman image.... ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Happened to me and 2 of my friends simultaneously last Monday.  We were all enclosed in our flipovers when a huge gust blew the three of us about 50 yds into the shore. It had to look like some sorta race from afar! it looked like there was a yardsale on the ice, our gear was spread all over the ice. We were disgusted and left
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Happened to me and 2 of my friends simultaneously last Monday.  We were all enclosed in our flipovers when a huge gust blew the three of us about 50 yds into the shore. It had to look like some sorta race from afar! it looked like there was a yardsale on the ice, our gear was spread all over the ice. We were disgusted and left
;D ;D thanks.

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Whew.  I don't feel so bad now.  But I tell you that was an experience like being in a tornado or something.  My life flashed before my eyes as we spun out of control.  We went a good 1/2 mile.  I am surprised the thing stayed in one piece.  Fortunately most of the other fishermen were inside their shacks and I am not sure they seen us fly by.   Good thing we didn't take any one out on our way.

Offline Smeltkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:18 PM »
That sure would have been a sight to see.

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:35 PM »
some years back fishin out of a clam jr with the plastic floor. Gust of wind blows us way far. Broke the vex cable =the  foamfloat was still in the hole= sheared it, broke a rod, i caught the lantern in my bare hands and then threw it which torched a football size hole in the canvas. I hate wind

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:37 PM »
My one buddy started screaming "Pig HELP, HELP Pig!", He stopped asking for my help when he looked down and saw my hole slide past. My other friend was somehow ejected and ended up on his @ss bein dragged by his shelter. I put my head down in disgust after i realized my ice cleats werent stopping me and waited for the crash.  It is funny now, but when you think about the money that was being tossed around wrecklessly on the ice, not funny till you make sure everything is fine. Ice anchors will be in next time!
Pig

Offline badger16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:01 PM »
I don't know how to skate or ski.

Offline shack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:14 PM »
  Same type thing happened to a couple friends a few years back. They went out with one guys truck {thick ice} set up the portable and discovered they were out of barley pop.So one jumps in the truck and pulls away to head to shore happens to look in his mirror to see the portable heading the other way at a pretty good clip and lots of yelling from its passenger.   

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:25 PM »
found a old homemade shelter years ago crumpled up on shore.stood it up in case someone was still looking for it,was still there a week later,so i took it home and fixed it up. used it for 2 seasons before i bought my clam. it was cool but heavy!!can't imagine the wind it took to blow that around? made a big cleat for the clam just so that doesn't happen to me.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:19 AM »
Great stories!!!... thanks for the morning laugh! :roflmao:
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:22 AM »
I always make a hole and put down a hole anchor with a line on my portable as I almost lost one setting up in addition to the ice anchors made for the Shapple.

Some years ago I was on a big lake and there was smooth ice conditions ,..lots of big ice shantys set up a few days before and a huge gust came up. Ours was anchored to the ice but apparently a lot were not and we saw about 8 of them headed our way really fast,..we braced ourselves for a big crash which would have been pertty bad at the speed these were coming at us,..

They all missed going to the right or left of us and one only a foot or two away.

Again funny now esp as I remember this high whine which was coming from guys inside those sheds! Not so good was a few sheds that had no real floor and the guys were roughed up pretty badly. (I think kinda like the time my older brother convinced me when I was 6 to roll down a hill in a wooden barrel,)

In my family I remember the story that the same brother was on a sled relatively calm and Dad was setting up when a big gust came up on Lake Champlain and started to blow him out across the ice (where at some point it was open),..with my father running after him yelling to jump off but brother  was crying so hard that he wouldn't. Everytime Dad got close another gust came up and brother took off again. I guess it was a long run until Dad finally caught up with him.

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:58 AM »
You only have to go on a ride like the one Josh and I did to NEVER FORGET those ice anchors get put in 1st thing!  About another 1/2 mile in the direction we were headed was a river connection with open water so we were fortunate we stopped in time.    Like I said we missed the other shacks along the way but that would have been one heck of a surprise to slam into someone.  For them and us.  I had never seen this happen before so felt pretty embarrassed about it.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Now if we could figure out a way to do some ice trolling....

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:00 PM »
boy i hate to say this but this very thing happened to me just today . but it was my first time on the ice with anytype of sheltor usually just rough it but i got a sheltor from a buddie set it up and it was great in there for about 2 hours nice comfy lots a room to move and all my stuff and i swear to god that wind came from a jet and away i went down the ice knocked my showdown over drug my rod out of my hand and was trying to get the door open all at the same time . it's an older style hunting sheltor with a open floor on one side and with the door zippered noway out but out that opening in the floor cause i was in a hurry so anyone was watching a seen a 280lb man shoot out from under that tent like a ground squirrel and hold the rope while it sored in the air 5 ft off the ground  . so when it came back down it was folded up my gear picked up an i was back to roughing it lol.

sometimes i hate mother nature .

Scott

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:04 PM »
boy i hate to say this but this very thing happened to me just today . but it was my first time on the ice with anytype of sheltor usually just rough it but i got a sheltor from a buddie set it up and it was great in there for about 2 hours nice comfy lots a room to move and all my stuff and i swear to god that wind came from a jet and away i went down the ice knocked my showdown over drug my rod out of my hand and was trying to get the door open all at the same time . it's an older style hunting sheltor with a open floor on one side and with the door zippered noway out but out that opening in the floor cause i was in a hurry so anyone was watching a seen a 280lb man shoot out from under that tent like a ground squirrel and hold the rope while it sored in the air 5 ft off the ground  . so when it came back down it was folded up my gear picked up an i was back to roughing it lol.

sometimes i hate mother nature .
HAHA the old ground blind kite,eh? Funny stuff!

Scott

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Funny stuff. But we can laugh since it happened to us right.  My dad took me ice fishing growing up but we were dirt poor and I know they did not have all the gear there is today.   After I got back into it again after several years away and purchased that Shappell, it was a good thing a buddy of mine had a extra set of anchors with him when we went out.   My salesperson failed to mention to me the importance of ice anchors or the ice pick life savers.  Wind and fishing in a shack or a boat can sure cause problems huh.

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:53 PM »
jkfro... i have heard stories of this in indianola... was it you?

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:01 PM »
jkfro... i have heard stories of this in indianola... was it you?
No. Mine happened 3 years ago on Desoto Bend SRA

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:03 PM »
great stories..LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.