The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster recoil spring question  (Read 10427 times)

Offline FrozenFinSeeker

• IceShanty Rookie
Strikemaster recoil spring question
« on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:16 PM »
I bought a new strikemaster 8" auger last year. It starts great (even after sitting for a summer) and cuts the ice great. I am having a problem though. Last year on my second day out with it I was starting it to drill some new holes later in the day and the recoil spring let go. Luckily I had a scredriver on hand and could take the top off to wind the starter by hand. Naturally it took 5 or 6 times to get started that time  :%$#!:  Anyway, when I got home I took it all apart and the "inner" end of the sprin is just a tiny loop bent into the end of the spring. I messed with it and got it to take a bette grip on the starter and reassembled. I only got out on the ice one more time last year and it worked fine. However, yesterday I finally got back out. It started up fine at the first lake (and in the garage :)) But when I got to the second lake, on the second pull the spring let go again. Thankfully it didnt fully release and it would pull back half the started cord. Again, this time it just didnt want to start with only two revolutions per pull :pinch:  Again, when I got home I took it apart and "operated" once again. I think that this time I have it (but then I thought last time I had it). This time I made the inner spring end into a "hook" that catches on the starter. Now after two hours of dicking with the starter, winding the spring backwards :%$#!: , Having the spring "blow up" in my face twice  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: then finally getting it back together, I am wondering if I am the only one to have this problem? Also, would Strikemaster consider this problem to be covered under warranty?

Thanks

Tips down, flags up!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Strikemaster recoil spring question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:50 PM »
I don't know about warranty, but I'd definetely call them and let them know about it.

Here's a couple of videos that may help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zelPN20xVrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCWYc5qj6A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5MMiI_ZXC8&feature=related

Hope that you will find what you need.

Wiener

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:26 AM »
I would definatly look at strikemaster's customer service, I've never had any problems with the recoil
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:08 AM »
 I found it esiest just to replace the recoil when this happens, my last Strikemaster was good for a recoil almost every season, and still is but it's my buddys problem now. I would call Stikemaster and ask they replace it since it's not that old yet.

Offline hunter orange

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:51 PM »
happend to my brother,  brand new strikemaster magnum first the spring went then once we got it together gave it a pull the string broke.  haha idk I've seen a few people with the same problem I guess its a common problem with strikemasters.  give them a call see what they say

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:55 PM »
One key thing with any auger is to make sure you don't pull the recoil rope too far.  The right way to start an auger is to pull with short strokes with the auger right in front of you so that your arm comes back to your chest.  A lot of guys stand to the side of the auger so their arm goes beyond their body in both directions.  That will ruin a recoil really fast.  I'm not saying that is what happened to the auger in this thread, just thought I'd throw it out there as a tip to save everyone some time, money and aggravation. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline bri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:20 PM »
One key thing with any auger is to make sure you don't pull the recoil rope too far.  The right way to start an auger is to pull with short strokes with the auger right in front of you so that your arm comes back to your chest.  A lot of guys stand to the side of the auger so their arm goes beyond their body in both directions.  That will ruin a recoil really fast.  I'm not saying that is what happened to the auger in this thread, just thought I'd throw it out there as a tip to save everyone some time, money and aggravation. 

Exactly.  99% of recoil breakages are operator error.

Offline FrozenFinSeeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Well I just got back off the hard water. Auger started fine in the garage on the second pull. Got out on the ice and it started on the first pull. No recoil problems at all!  HOWEVER.... After fishing unsuccessfully for a couple hours, I decided to try another lake. I packed everything up and headed out. The auger had been used and then put back in the car since I was not going to need it again until I changed lakes (plus keeping it warm wouldnt hurt when it came to starting it again).  When I got to the next lake I got out the auger and looked at the rope and it was hanging out about 6 inches. I thought that was odd considering that when I put the auger in the car, the spring had recoiled the rope fine :cookoo:. Cautiously I pulled the motor over once and the rope just hung out there with no tension on the spring at all  :o :%$#!:   So again out came the screwdriver (a new must on the checklist...) and off came the recoil head; hand wind the rope, pull the motor over, hand wind the rope, pull the motor over.... Thankfully it started on the second pull.  Now to call Strikemaster.... :'(

One key thing with any auger is to make sure you don't pull the recoil rope too far.  The right way to start an auger is to pull with short strokes with the auger right in front of you so that your arm comes back to your chest.

I totally agree and I learned this lesson about 10 years ago on my outboard motor. I can promise you that this year I have been very careful not to pull the cord to its limit when starting. I cant say for certain that I didnt last year when it firs happened because I cant remember the day that well but I cant imagine, having had to rebuild my outboard starter, that I would have forgotten that.

Offline bri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Does your auger have the new Solo designed engine?  If so, check this out: 

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:48 PM »
i just called strikemaster with the same problem. they asked when it was made, and if it was a solo engine. 1 minute later, and my new recoil was being shipped. they never questioned it, or asked for money. gotta love that!!!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Sawbones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Does anybody know if you need to do the WD40 trick on a recently purchased Strikemaster, or if this just applies to those bought last season. You would think that they would have fixed that by now.

Offline bri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:29 PM »
The WD-40 trick is only needed for last year's models, and even then, not all were affected by the bad grease.  Remember, even if you purchased your auger this year, that doesn't mean it wasn't a left-over from last season.  You could call up Strikemaster with your serial number to be sure...

I bought a left-over from last season this fall, so I took the recoil off and stuck in the freezer over night to test.  Sure enough, it was all gummed up in the morning.  I dowsed it with WD-40 and then re-tested, she was good to go.  Zero issues so far this season.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:47 PM »
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline FrozenFinSeeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Well I call Strikemaster and told them what was happening. All they wanted was the serial number and the date of manufacture and the new starter is on the way! Now to see how long it takes to ship to Alaska...  Until then though there is a light at the end of the "crank it over, hand wind the rope, Crank it over, hand wind the rope, Repeat..." process.

Tight lines!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Well I call Strikemaster and told them what was happening. All they wanted was the serial number and the date of manufacture and the new starter is on the way! Now to see how long it takes to ship to Alaska...  Until then though there is a light at the end of the "crank it over, hand wind the rope, Crank it over, hand wind the rope, Repeat..." process.

Tight lines!
watch the video link i posted above, and try that until you get your recoil. ;)

Offline FrozenFinSeeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:30 PM »
And this story comes to a close: Last Thursday my replacement starter arrived at my home in Fairbanks. Just under a week to get here. That is pretty impressive. I installed it and it worked great for me on Saturday while out pike fishing. I brought it out and set it on the ice while I cleared the snow where I wanted to set up. Drilled the first hole (started with two pulls). I almost forgot how nice it is to just be able to repull the handle without haveing to hand wind it...  Then set it back on the ice while I set up my rig. Walked 100 feet, cleared another spot then started the auger. No problems whatsoever!!!! The temps were ranging thoughout the day from -20 to -33 and a little breezy. If the problem was the temp and the grease on the spring, it's working fine now.

My hats off to Strikemaster.  :thumbsup: :clap: Excellent customer service. Fast shipping. Fixed problems. Dont find that too often these days.

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:52 AM »
i know this is an old thread. sorry.

has anyone had experience with strikemaster supplying new recoils to augers that are 4 years old?  or are you guys all talking about issues in the first year or so?

I have had a couple problems with my recoil ( and right now, it only with pull the rope halfway in).  i may try to fix it again, but am considering getting a new one.

thanks
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:19 AM »
i know this is an old thread. sorry.

has anyone had experience with strikemaster supplying new recoils to augers that are 4 years old?  or are you guys all talking about issues in the first year or so?

I have had a couple problems with my recoil ( and right now, it only with pull the rope halfway in).  i may try to fix it again, but am considering getting a new one.

thanks
call them

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:33 PM »
I know that they had some issues with the grease at low temps with the solo's 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.