Author Topic: X67 Sonar Artifacts  (Read 1170 times)

Offline flatlandy

• IceShanty Rookie
X67 Sonar Artifacts
« on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:49 PM »
So I have taken my X67c unit out a few times this year and I am certainly getting a better feel for it, and it certainly is paying off (jigged up 3 perch and 3 trout the other day while my two fishing partners, who usually outfish me, did not get a single hit all day).

However, I have been seeing these weird artifacts on the screen. Essentially what I see is a small line that rises at a constant rate from the bottom of the screen, or off my jig sometimes. It goes all the way to the top and disappears. While it's not too big of a problem, it is annoying sometimes as you initially think its a fish.

So what I would like to know is if its my settings, a problem with the ducer, or if its something like air bubbles underwater.

Here is an image I quickly mocked up to try to explain what I am seeing.

Offline icehawk92188

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: X67 Sonar Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:33 PM »
This also my first year with my x67c and i have seen this same exact thing. I am also curious as to what these lines are.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Fish farts as we call them. Stuff happens sometimes that we can't explain. It is entertaining for me at times when I watch the bead from my bobber stop slide all the way down to my jig.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2010, 02:00 PM »
I have seen it too, seems to always happen very shortly after I either just put the ducer in the hole or a jig in the hole. I caulk it up to the sonar picking up small bubbles off the jig or off bottom of the lake.

J-

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2010, 02:42 PM »
I have seen it too, seems to always happen very shortly after I either just put the ducer in the hole or a jig in the hole. I caulk it up to the sonar picking up small bubbles off the jig or off bottom of the lake.

J-

Thats exactly what it is....bubbles. I have an x67c too. When i am fishing deep, sometimes you can create what looks like a school of bait fish when you jig hard, its just bubbles. You will learn to recognise them as such after a while, fish definitely look different. Turn the sensitivity down too, this might help eliminate the 'problem'.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Mostly gas bubbles from rotting vegetation on the bottom..........I used to notice them on my vex a few times but now I notice a lot more on my X67 since it's a lot more sensitive than the vex......

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:02 AM »
It's bubbles coming up from the bottom. The X67c can pick those up easier than a Vex can.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:02 PM »
It's bubbles coming up from the bottom. The X67c can pick those up easier than a Vex can.
that is just what it is

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Yup.  Bubbles.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline flatlandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, amazing that it can see things like that.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:00 PM »
Tie a marabou crappie jig on your line and lower it down to 20 feet or so.  Give it a big yank and watch what happens.  The screen will light up with jillions of little bubbles.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.