Author Topic: Trip to the ER  (Read 6403 times)

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trip to the ER
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Sequence of events: Flaag! :tipup:

And when I took the hook out with the pliers I pulled it right into my thumb.

I ended up snippin and taping it so I could keep fishing. Had to try out the new Hummingbird. Works nice.
I couldn't get it out by myself so I had to take the trip to the ER.
I wish I had a picture of the nurses and Dr.s faces when I said I jut snipped it and kept fishing. :o  :roflmao:
If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trip to the ER
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:16 PM »
I watched a old guy with same thing last year, just grabbed a pair of pliers and pushed it all the way through (he groaned like a *****) then cut the barb off and done, went back to fishing...haha saved himself 6 hrs in an ER!  Good job!

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:25 PM »
   Good job kid.
Next time just take out your Buck knife and lop the finger off above the knuckle.
A couple shots of Jack and a little duct tape you'll be good to go ;D

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:34 PM »
If you're not alone,

loop the line onto the barb, push the hook eye down (toward the finger that is hooked) and have a friend quickly jerk the hook out using the loop of line for a "handle".

Soak in Wiskey or Bourbon for 15 seconds, then take at least one ounce internally as needed to dull the pain.

Here's a vid of how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfSGAso5vpI

P.S.  When you get the Emergency room bill, just think of how much Ice fishing equipment that would buy.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Awesome video!

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline yesjacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • yea
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Well I just learned something!

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:48 AM »
I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago fishing for bass out of my canoe!  Went to lip the bass and he jumped.......the second treble hook on the hedon torpedo lure went through the meat of my skin between my thumb and index finger!!!!  I used a few choice words with that!  But I pushed it through the rest of the way and cut off the barb and took it out myself.....went back to a good day of fishing.  Ended up at the docs office two days later when it got infected though.  Doc said he would have taken it out the same way though!!!!!  Learned a lesson to tell everyone else......keep a set of cutters and pliars on you at all times for this reason!!!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Mine didn't go all the way through unfortunately or i could have done that... I did try some minor surgery but my Kbar was a little to bulky when i was trying to dig it out.
Also a no sense in having insurance if you're not gonna use it. I was a little worried about infection too so I decide to go to the docs as much as I didn't want to.
If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:04 AM »
the hell with that  I got great health insurance!!   off to the ER Id go!   shoot me up doc  price is nooooo problem
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Got2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In training by lives2fish...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:01 PM »
If it was just in to the flesh and not hurting any thing important, nerves, major vessels then I would just have popped it all the way through and cut it off. Sanitized as well as I could there, better at home, watched it and only go to Dr. if needed and when it would not interfere with fishing.  :tipup:

Offline runswithdeer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Ouch, glad you are ok.  Just thinking about it makes me shiver.
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy..."

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:13 PM »
If you're not alone,

loop the line onto the barb, push the hook eye down (toward the finger that is hooked) and have a friend quickly jerk the hook out using the loop of line for a "handle".

Soak in Wiskey or Bourbon for 15 seconds, then take at least one ounce internally as needed to dull the pain.

Here's a vid of how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfSGAso5vpI

P.S.  When you get the Emergency room bill, just think of how much Ice fishing equipment that would buy.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Have had to do this before on more then one occasion, not only used it on myself but have done it to others, its the best way. Even on a # 4/0 Treble on a Musky lure.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:59 PM »
at er they take that needle  shoot it at the base of the finger  and 0 pain and its out  cant beat that anyway
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2010, 02:52 PM »
I hooked myself deep in the thumb over the summer.  I clipped it and continued to fish.  Caught the 3 best bass of the summer with that hook in me.  I too had to get medical attention, as I clipped it too close to the skin to push it through the thick skin on the thumb.  The doctors and nurses were amused.

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2010, 03:03 PM »
I usually just get a buddy with pliers then close my eyes and hope its over fast. Happened twice and hand still works fine... probably would have had less scaring with the dr route but behind every scar is a good story!

Offline badger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2010, 04:41 PM »
i did that once when i was a teen,  went to the er and then had to tell them how to do it.  push the barb threw and cut it off works good I've seen the other way done as well looks less painfull that way much quicker either way no co pays

Offline ScubaBrian24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2010, 05:21 PM »
hope that never happens to me, but good to see that video so I have an idea of how to take it out! 

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Been there ,done that except it was summer and I managed to get it in the leg. Now that I think of it ,there was a worm on that hook and I'm not sure where it ended up at,not to sure I want to know either :o
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline jvanhees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:03 PM »
I wish I had a picture of the nurses and Dr.s faces when I said I jut snipped it and kept fishing. :o  :roflmao:

atta boy  8)
Ducks Unlimited - Huron Valley Chapter

Offline tightline3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Personal Best Perch-1lb.5oz.-14"-2/22/10
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:39 PM »
I caught the front end of an ice fishing Rapala Lure in my thumb at the side of my nail. Straight in at the cuticle.
I had to push it through and snip the barb. My friend said I almost passed out. I was glad it was over as we were a  good hour row away from the cars alone. The ER was another 10 miles away. Kept fishin!!!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:31 PM »
Been there, done that, except with a 6/0 baitholder while striper fishing. Dead center of my palm.

Also kept fishing. ;D

Wes

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Happened to me last spring. Reached down to hooked bluegill when the jig slipped out with considerable force. Nailed a fingertip. My son yanked it out just like the video. Instant relief. Then I cleaned the mess of bluegills. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Makes you consider barbless, though.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Pretty neat video! My old man got a 4/0 muskie lure treble in the meat between his pointer and thumb good news was the muskie rolled again and pulled it back out free of charge!!! Showing the pics to buddies they were all asking if the muskie died because of all the blood in the boat just laughed and told them thats the old mans blood!!! ;D :) ;)
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline adirondackrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:18 AM »
OUCH!!  :%$#!:
[IMG]

Offline waltsfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AH-SUNSET -to fish or not to fish what a stupid ?
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:16 AM »
did something similar on opening day trout season, hooked a huge rainbow got her to shore bent down to get her and she was not done , took off like a torpedo and pop treble hook behind my ear . 10 min later gamewarden comes by check lic and starts laughing and says he can get it out with his multi tool , scalp skin is tough , kept fishing then went to er after unsuccessful atempt on my own when i got home 425 for 15 min visit

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:29 AM »

Have had to do this before on more then one occasion, not only used it on myself but have done it to others, its the best way. Even on a # 4/0 Treble on a Musky lure.

have had to do this when my buddy stapled his hat to his head with a big ol' pike spoon.  cut the hat off and cut the spoon from the hook.  I learned this from my uncle when I  had done the same thing to myself.

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:05 PM »
I seen this girl working at the local convenience store...she had hooks hanging from her eyelids, nose, lips, etc... ;D
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:55 PM »
I seen this girl working at the local convenience store...she had hooks hanging from her eyelids, nose, lips, etc... ;D

:roflmao:

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:37 PM »
this makes me think about all the times i've done that

Offline 300_wsm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:22 PM »
i watched the video on how to get the hook out and was telling my best friend(who is also on here icesniper) about it and we got bored on the ice today and he decided to put a hook into his arm on purpose to see if it worked. LOL!!!! it actually worked verrrrrry good

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.