The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 5 lb propane tanks in great falls?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline icefishnaddct

• Team IceShanty Regular
5 lb propane tanks in great falls?
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:58 PM »
does anyone know of anybody in great falls that sells 5 lb propane tanks? i'm thinkin a 5 lb tank is the way to go for operating my ice house heater but have no clue where to get one. thanks!

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 5 lb propane tanks in great falls?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Homo Depot had them a while back, wife got an 11 pounder from there for me this Xmas.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:02 PM »
check the ranch and home stores also.  I have bought 2 different style 5lb tanks, Murdochs and Quaility Supply.  They always seem to have several different sizes.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:49 PM »
I also went with the 11 pound tank, twice.  When they quit filling the old style valved tanks, I splurged for a new one, as it was the same price as putting a new valve in the old 'pancake' style tank that I had.

I chose the 11 pound tank because:
-Lighter than a 20 pounder
-Less space than a 20 pounder
-Lasts a lot longer than a pounder

Down side is that I usually get charged more per pound for propane, because most places have gone the 'exchange your empty gas grill tank for a full one' route, and 11 pounders are 'rare and unusual' where I am.....I can't think what they would charge to fill a 5 pounder.  Honestly, it confuses them to figure by the pound rather than the straight charge they use for 'grill tanks'.

Plus, the extra initial expense of a 5 pounder (special order here), in addition to the added expense to fill it (in my location), just didn't pencil out.

My last deciding factor was that I fish just enough that a pounder wasn't near enough, but a 20 pounder was way too much to lug around.  I think I would be disappointed at how many times I had to fill a 5 pounder and the hassle that went with it.....

To your original post as I just re-read it....I don't know where to get a 5 pound tank in your location..... ::) ;D

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:45 PM »
Haven't seen them in GTF, but did see them yesterday at the Billings Cabella store.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Call your local propane dealer (AmeriGas around here), they carried 5, 10, 11 lb tanks.  Also I asked about refilling the 11 pound and was told they refill by the pound no mim. charge.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:59 AM »
I've seen them in Home Depot.  Haven't been in there recently though. 

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:25 AM »

Northern Propane has every size made....out on the Northwest Bypass, same side of the road as the Halftime Sports bar.  As soon as the road closes back up to a two lane....look for it on the right, a hedge of bushes kinda blocks it so keep yours eyes peeled.  :tipup:
Z
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:05 PM »
And remember, you can refill the 5 and 11# from your 20# or larger tank using Mr. Heater fittings sold at Big R and other places. Beats having to find a propane dealer in a pinch.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:17 AM »
I am looking for one as well.  Do you have to regulate the pressure for a Buddy Heater, or can a straight hose work?

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can hook it directly up to your tank.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.