Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Three Mile  (Read 1769 times)

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
Three Mile
« on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:04 AM »
i have decided i want to make a trip down there on monday. How is the fishing? Where should i go for crappie?

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Three Mile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Be careful where you walk. You can go from a good 7" of ice to 3-4" pretty quickly.

I was down there last Sunday, walked in on the East main boat ramp and walked out about 100 yards. I drilled every 10 yards or so, the ice was consistently 5 1/2". Yesterday I fished the lake, walked in from the West boat ramp, the ice started out a good 6-7". There are several ice heaves, on the other side of the heave the ice would be 3-4".

There were a few other people fishing the lake yesterday, I spent a little time talking to them and they echoed what I have said. They said they had also run into some very thin ice in places.

Not sure how much snow they will get down there, the snow cover may make it hard though to determine ice condition.

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 11:50 AM »
hmm. i'll have to be careful then, but how was the fishing? do you think it would be worth it?

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Couldn't stay long at 3 mile, I had spent most of the morning fishing 12 mile. Caught a couple, lots of window shoppers. The guys I spoke with had caught good fish early but tapered off later in the morning. As far as I am concerned, there is never a bad bite at 3 mile. Just wish there was a little more consistency to the ice, I am sure with the cold temps we'll have over the next few upcoming days the ice will even out a little.

Good luck.

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Gonna head down tomarrow morning and give it a shot. My truck is broke down so I guess ill have to leave the predator at home. Good thing I hung onto the clam 2000 I can just throw it in the trunk of the car. I usually do pretty good in the deep water trees 28-38' . Ill let you know how I do.

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Got down there saturday at 9 am, bite was really slow lot of lookers few takers. Lot of people out there. I didnt try the roadbed, just the sw cove by the dam. lot of ice probably 14" or so with some slushy spots.

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2011, 02:55 PM »
We went last night fished from 5-8:30.   Caught crappies as fast as you could get down for the first hour and a half,  slowed down alittle after that but still good action.   Not much for size though,  alot of 8-9.5" fish.  Only a few over 10"   We went south from the north boat ramp.  About 12" of ice where we were.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Has anyone drove on the ice down their yet.  Have been at other places but haven't their yet.  Was just wondering how thick the north end is.  Fished off the jetty's earlier in the season and ice thickness was 5 inches less than 12 mile.

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2011, 12:11 PM »
No trucks on the north end of the lake on Saturday.  I measured right at 12" of ice.  There were a couple trucks on the ice at the other boat ramp though.  dragging the shack sucked!!!  Felt like I was pulling my truck

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:55 PM »
I used to like it when they left that gate unlocked on Nighthawk so you could drive through that field down to the trees.  Havent the last two years so have not been fishing their as much.  It's dragging a shack through that crap that seriously has me contemplating why I do not own a 4 wheeler.  Hopefully next year.  Thanks for the update. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.