Author Topic: Fish Trap, Eskimo or Otter?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Bud56

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish Trap, Eskimo or Otter?
« on: Dec 23, 2004, 02:27 AM »
I am new here and also pretty new to ice fishing. I will need a 2 man and 1 woman tent. I think I have narrowed it down to either a Fish Trap Voyager an Otter Lodge or an Eskimo Grand Caravan. The Fish Trap Voyager and the Otter Lodge are about the same size 74 X 98 but the Eskimo Grand Caravan is 78X 102. I am thinking this extra width might be handy for 3 people. But is the Eskimo sled just as tuff and deep as the others? Are some easier and handier to set up than the other? Decisions, Decisions...I will most always be using a snowmobile for travel. Also is there a good light out there for inside the shack? I also have a new Lowrance 67C I bought for fishing from boat last summer. It has a built in flasher with battery pack for ice fishing but I dont know how to use it. Any one know of any tutorials or info on how to use these flashers. Thanks, Bud
Bud, Cook Minnesota

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Fish Trap, Eskimo or Otter?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2004, 02:02 PM »
well bud let me first welcome you to the site!!lots of great info from a great bunch of anglers.
i have an eskimo lodge that is 8'x7' and i love it.the windows give plenty of light inside and all have flaps in case you want it dark.the sled is about 5'' deep and very durable.it sets up very easy and i can do it myself in under a minute easily.it is a little heavy at just under a hundred lbs. but is a nice solid shelter with a nice thick nylon backed canvas.it is not cheap and the quality shows it.
   i dont have a flasher (yet) so i cant help you there but if you check the electronics section you will find much info there!!tight lines and good luck whatever you buy!!MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:23 PM »
Bud,
I too would like to Welcome you to the shanty.I am sure that you will find this as addicting as the rest of us have.
My Darling wife bought me a new Otter Magnum Village.This thing is Way Kool.
You can easily fish four people in it with lots of extra space.It is a flip style house.The neat thing about it is it flips on both sides.
The set up dimensions are 6' wide (the sled part) x12' long x 77" high. It also weights in at 100 lbs (kinda heavy, but I think that it's worth it).
Collapsed it is 74" long x 38" wide x 20" high.
I also pull with a sled or ATV.
It pulls like a dream, even loaded with gear.
I also got the hitch,cover, and the hyfax(sp) runners for it. Also ordered two sets of tie downs from Cabalas for it. Will need something in the wind.
You can order lights from Otter that run on AA batteries.You can also get back to back swivel seats for it.
This thing is Great for two or more people.
I haven't had it out yet, but has been set up in my yard a few times. It sets up very nice so far.
Hope this helps,
Wyoming Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2004, 10:55 PM »
Hey Billditrite, You also have an Eskimo Lodge? I just saw some pics of your wood shanty. I was debating between a wood shanty and an Eskimo Lodge, but decided on the lodge since permanent shelters aren't allowed on some lakes in Montana, and all permanent shelters have to be removed by a certain date. It sure would be nice to fire up a wood stove though.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:02 AM »
yup i got the best of both worlds ;D  nice big permanent for my favorite go to bass and crappie lake.keeps the kids running after flags. but for chasing those derbies or just trying a new spot or lake,the eskimo lodge is perfect!! big roomy and you can still heat it easily with a buddy heater and or propane cook stove.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.