Author Topic: how many tip ups?  (Read 4431 times)

Offline nickrich13

• IceShanty Rookie
how many tip ups?
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:01 PM »
any one know how many tip ups you can use?

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how many tip ups?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:03 PM »
5 tip-up max.   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline nickrich13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:18 PM »
thx

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
Clarification please
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Is that 5 tip ups if I am jigging or 4 tip ups if I am jigging?

Meaning, is it 5 hooks?

Also is there any regulation that I have to have my name etc on my traps or on my shelter?

- ATG
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline woodstock60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:57 PM »
4 with a jig rod and your supposed to have name on tip ups.   Ronnie

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:04 PM »
 § 20-11-3  Fishing devices allowed. – Unless otherwise specified by regulations adopted by the department of environmental management, only a rod and reel or other device held in and operated by hand shall be used to catch or attempt to catch fish in the fresh waters of the state, except that suckers, fall fish, and carp may be taken by snares, spears, or bow and arrow, and minnows may be taken as provided in §§ 20-11-7 – 20-11-9. No person shall place, operate, or superintend more than two (2) of those devices for the purpose of taking or catching fish at any time, and no more than three (3) hooks may be attached to each device; provided, however, that for the purpose of fishing through ice upon the surface of any stream or freshwater pond any person may place, operate, or superintend five (5) lines with a single hook upon each and held by any device designed for that purpose and provided further that every one of those lines shall be attended by a person lawfully permitted to catch fish.
History of Section.
(P.L. 1981, ch. 197, § 3.)

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:07 PM »
I cant find anything about having your name on them a little help here BW

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Not more than six tip-ups, floats (bobbers), similar devices,
or hand-held jigs or any combination thereof not exceeding six in the
aggregate may be used at one time. Persons under sixteen years of age
may use not more than two devices. Not more than three baited hooks,
with or without attractors, or three ice flies, or three artificial lures, or
any combination thereof not exceeding three in the aggregate may be
used with each tip-up, float (bobber), or similar device or hand-held
jig. Devices must be personally attended. The name and address of the
user must be legibly stamped on or attached to all devices
these are ct. rules

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:17 PM »
• More than two hooks for fishing or more than five hooks when ice fishing. A hook is defined as an angling device attached to a fishing line which is designed to take one fish at a time but is not limited to devices commonly called spinners, spoons, bait harnesses, lead head jigs or plugs
mass rules

Offline Hardwaterhank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:31 PM »
We had this topic last year on the shanty someone called dem and got the guys name from there that said u were allowed 5 tip up plus your two handheld devices( jig rods) and I've also asked about treble hooks i was personally told they r fine on tipups as long as u only have one bait on

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Conserve and protect the environment
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:06 AM »
I believe it is 5 total including tilts and jig rods..except for reciprocal ponds like Beach, where you are allowed to use 6 tilts, CT's regulation. A treble hook is considered one hook.
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't care and the people that do don't matter.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:33 PM »
I just looked through all of the RIGL and the reg's book.

You don't have to have your name on the tip-up's like in other places.  It's stupid anyways - you'd be hard pressed enough to see any of those green suits get out of their trucks... let alone check names on tip-ups!

On a side note... RIGL 20-11-3 isn't even published in the reg's book.  I'm going to write to W Michael Sullivan (DEM Director) and tell him that I'm going to fish with however many devices I want because they don't transfer law over to their reg's book.  He probably won't write back anyways though, Chafee just gave him the boot - just like he should do with the rest of them. He's quitting on Jan 1.

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:23 PM »

You don't have to have your name on the tip-up's like in other places.  It's stupid anyways - you'd be hard pressed enough to see any of those green suits get out of their trucks... let alone check names on tip-ups!

On a side note... RIGL 20-11-3 isn't even published in the reg's book.  I'm going to write to W Michael Sullivan (DEM Director) and tell him that I'm going to fish with however many devices I want because they don't transfer law over to their reg's book.  He probably won't write back anyways though, Chafee just gave him the boot - just like he should do with the rest of them. He's quitting on Jan 1.

i hope they bust your azz for it too. everybodys gotta work somewhere.

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:46 PM »

You don't have to have your name on the tip-up's like in other places.  It's stupid anyways - you'd be hard pressed enough to see any of those green suits get out of their trucks... let alone check names on tip-ups!

On a side note... RIGL 20-11-3 isn't even published in the reg's book.  I'm going to write to W Michael Sullivan (DEM Director) and tell him that I'm going to fish with however many devices I want because they don't transfer law over to their reg's book.  He probably won't write back anyways though, Chafee just gave him the boot - just like he should do with the rest of them. He's quitting on Jan 1.

Wow... someone is pretty bitter.  I think our DEM does a good job considering what they have to work with.  How many Environmental Police are there in our state now?  I don't know the exact number, but if I had to guess, I'd say probably a couple dozen or so (and how many of them are detailed to the bay).  If I were you, I'd give Mr. Chaffee a call and ask him to provide DEM with more EPO's so enforcement in this state could be better if that's one of your complaints.  I've seen EPO's at least twice a season while fishing, which is surprising seeing how stretched they are; and they've always answered any questions I'd had for them regarding regulations, whether or not they agree with how the standard is written.  Start with your new governor and general assembly if your not happy with regulations, not the people that are in charge of enforcing the ones' our state elected officials have created.  Just my tax paying opinion.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:01 AM »
I definently respect everyones opinion. But I just feel like too many people have blinders on.

On a personal level I have nothing to be bitter to the Department at... aside of how poorly they mismanage the state.  To me they have never done anything though. I've had my license checked twice in my 25 years of exsistence and both times I had it on me so that was an easy hi and bye. However when I caught a 20+ Carp last year and one rolled up and asked if I was stuck on the bottom - I thought that was pretty funny.  Once he saw the fish (after asking what it was) he said that he didn't even know there were Carp in the state. Funny.

I'm not sure about how many actual officers there are. But they do take their trucks home. Perhaps if they didn't waste gas doing that we could afford to hire some more?

Or what about the documents I posted from the USFWS last year that showed the grants for $700,000 for fishiers investigations. When I asked the deparment for records of their investigations they didn't have any. Or their grant for their book which was supposed to be published 2 years ago.  I could keep spitting off grants that were given but went unfufilled and it's not word of mouth, it's information in public databases that anyone can access.

How about the nepotism that goes on in the department as well? If you go on the DEM website you can click a link to view a list of staff members. You can easily find 10-15 pairs of last names that match each other..... let alone people who are family but DON'T have the same last name.

How can one say the above is doing a good job? It's just like rest of the state, greed-money-sit on your a**.

Offline SHORTSEASON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Now, Breath in.... So what did you get the carp on fieldcorn or boilie ?-------SS ;D
--NON STOP FISHN'

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:07 PM »
I definently respect everyones opinion. But I just feel like too many people have blinders on.

On a personal level I have nothing to be bitter to the Department at... aside of how poorly they mismanage the state.  To me they have never done anything though. I've had my license checked twice in my 25 years of exsistence and both times I had it on me so that was an easy hi and bye. However when I caught a 20+ Carp last year and one rolled up and asked if I was stuck on the bottom - I thought that was pretty funny.  Once he saw the fish (after asking what it was) he said that he didn't even know there were Carp in the state. Funny.

I'm not sure about how many actual officers there are. But they do take their trucks home. Perhaps if they didn't waste gas doing that we could afford to hire some more?

if you dont like it you can fish in mass or ct.

Or what about the documents I posted from the USFWS last year that showed the grants for $700,000 for fishiers investigations. When I asked the deparment for records of their investigations they didn't have any. Or their grant for their book which was supposed to be published 2 years ago.  I could keep spitting off grants that were given but went unfufilled and it's not word of mouth, it's information in public databases that anyone can access.

How about the nepotism that goes on in the department as well? If you go on the DEM website you can click a link to view a list of staff members. You can easily find 10-15 pairs of last names that match each other..... let alone people who are family but DON'T have the same last name.

How can one say the above is doing a good job? It's just like rest of the state, greed-money-sit on your a**.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Now, Breath in.... So what did you get the carp on fieldcorn or boilie ?-------SS ;D

LOL I definently did some systematic breathing after that SS. I try to ignore the department, unless someone brings them up - then I get all firey. Just look at this thread, no one can get a clear answer on a simple question because 'they' aren't even smart enough to publish one in their reg book.  ;D

I got that fish on field corn, (one piece of pineapple and one mulberry - both hommeade) and a bit of method mix on my lead. Was funny too, I don't have an english style net so I had to get into the water to bank the fish. Even then it's not easy to land a 35" fish by hand, especially with a 12' pole in your hand.

We should do Tiouge together next year if thats your home turf. I lost the biggest fish "ever" there.  Bent my hook like a paperclip.

Or better yet I've got a couple other places sort of in that area that are even better. We can go where the record was caught/still exsist.  If your in the loop you'll know it wasn't Tiouge. :)

Offline Hardwaterhank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I know where it was from the cag and the state record was the same fish

Offline SHORTSEASON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Yup sounds good. Lets break some holes in this hard stuff first. ------ SS
--NON STOP FISHN'

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Read a thread in MA asking about how many can kids have and they say 5 tilts per for kids under 15 as long as they can tend them.  Anyone know if it's the same down here?  That's what we've always gone by. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.