The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Catch and/or Release- What do you do and why?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
Catch and/or Release- What do you do and why?
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:11 AM »
This is always an interesting topic.  Wanted to find out from others what they do.

Personally I catch and release all fish with exception to the times I want fish that night for dinner.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline bencayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Catch and/or Release- What do you do and why?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:25 AM »
when i fish through the ice i keep my limit whenever i can. i do alot of catch and release bass fishing in the summer, so it is nice to stock up on the perch and panfish in the winter. they are the bast eating freshwater fish, in my opinion. nice to be able to eat them all year round

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:34 AM »
depends on what I am fishing for and what I catch, in NY bass must be released, if I am fishing in an area that is over populated with northerns, I will keep them only so the others might be able to get to trophy size...stunted growth sucks, Perch there are tons and they are tasty. The other day I released 5 notherns and kept 1 because I had plans for dinner...Idk depends on the day I guess, both catch and release have their place
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:39 AM »
I like a few big perch for dinner each time I go out.  I rarely keep pike when I'm fishing smaller bodies water since I usually go to the exact same spot and like to think that I can catch the same fish a few times.

Offline natep24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:01 PM »
i will keep all the perch i catch.. as for all the other fish i catch i release them unless i have a family member that wants  something for their supper
Nate P
Firefighter/EMT

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:22 PM »
I keep my limit, I try and keep the pike between 6 and 10 pounds and throw the bigger ones and smaller ones back, although I did keep a 14 pounder for the wall last year ;D

Offline mikefishon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:51 PM »
i c&r bass fish year round just because perch are so plentifull and so tasty!!! walleye's are even better, but i'll take a limit of perch whenever i can and if i ate all that fish i'd be glowing so i deliver them to certain senior citizens eg. widows of ice fisherman and some good old boys that just can't make it on the ice anymore! thats probably a good topic for a post, it's nice to get that warm and fuzzy feeling when there faces light up!!!

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:57 PM »
I only keep fish that won't live or for other people want them. I'm not the biggest fish eater... Guess I'd rather catch them over and over
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:57 PM »
I keep most of the pan fish I catch and put some in the frezzer for summer. Most others go back down the hole to fight another day.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:06 PM »
I only keep fish I will eat, perch, eyes and panfish.  I throw all my northerns and lakers back, those are the basic fish I fish for.  If I ran into a brown or salmon, I would keep it but never really catch em
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:54 PM »
Here is my thinking

Perch don't matter, catch, throw back, use as bait, whatever. Their are so many of em you wont hurt a thing no matter what you do.
Pike are a little different, If i do keep them they are usually the ones that are just above the limit, that way I am taking the little ones out in order to make room for the rest to grow, Kind of like shooting does in deer season.
Bass I don't even know if you can keep through the ice...
That's just what I do anyways.

Offline granby7773

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2010, 03:40 PM »
pretty much release all fish caught unless they are bleeding ,,, got alot of $$$$$$$$$ in fishing equip. but hate to eat them weird i know ,, but i love to fish

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Keep most. I truely enjoy eating something I harvested.

Offline weavs150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:48 PM »
maybe enpught a few times aq year for a dinner the rest is just the enjoyment of catching fish and away from the house.. i get my food from hunting

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:49 PM »
All northerns go back unless it's going on the wall, slab perch go home and all legal walleyes go in me belly!!

I really think it's time for the state to start managing the pike in champlain, slot size limit and a 2 fish limit.

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:58 AM »
If I get into some good perch and feel like eating some I will keep a few. Pike fishing catch and release.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Well I chase mainly pan fish so perch, gills and walleyes are in trouble for a hot oil bath if they make it thru the ice, but keep it reasonable to a day or twos worth of meals... been doing it long enough that unless the fish are really tight liped not too worried about the next time out. On the weekends when I meet up with some friends and we set out tip ups for pike... they all go back unless they are too deeply hooked to make it. Now Trout... wife loves them so she tells me anytime I want to go fishing for them to get 'er done! " the bad luck! LOL!:D

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Perch are released in to hot grease!!Don't fish trout much, Pike are released .Did get a 20+ mounted last year,wished I had let it go now but done is done!! It will look good on the wall with the others.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:07 AM »
I catch and release almost everything in the summer unless I am getting fish for a fry. In the winter I fish mostly for pan fish and either eat or sell them.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2010, 05:59 PM »
I keep lots of perch in the winter and often keep my limit of salmon/browns in the summer.
We eat fish once a week and give plenty away to family.
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2010, 06:24 PM »
perch. gills and crappies get eaten pike and others go back in the winter.    I always keep my have one meal a year of native brookies .     Most summer fish go back

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:16 AM »
C & R almost 99% of the time. i keep a good sized pickerel when i get one and that's about it

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:03 AM »
Keep a few large perch when possible. Northerns go back, may keep one to eat over the winter if it is realy played out. Occasional pickerel for the ole farm cats ! Walleye, smelt, brook trout released thru natural digestion !    :whistle:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline djb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:53 AM »
I'll keep yellow perch and smelt caught through the ice to eat, also an occasional smaller Laker if I'm going to eat it fresh. Trout and salmon caught through the ice get eaten as well--especially the brookies. I'll also keep some small pickerel on occasion, they have a mild white meat and the bones in the small ones are so fine that I really don't notice them. Bass and pike get tossed back, don't really care for the flavor. Walleyes are also delicious, but I rarely catch them. Whatever you do with your fish is up to you.

Offline Magogfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:40 AM »
I keep like one fish a yr normaly one that's just legal I put all others fish back. To catch another day. Ppl cry about not catching big fish well put them back and stop keeping every fish u catch. I watch ppl on the river in spring kill 18" salmon and then cry they get no 5-6 pounders anymore well think about it!! Put them back let them grow.

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:04 PM »
I keep like one fish a yr normaly one that's just legal I put all others fish back. To catch another day. Ppl cry about not catching big fish well put them back and stop keeping every fish u catch. I watch ppl on the river in spring kill 18" salmon and then cry they get no 5-6 pounders anymore well think about it!! Put them back let them grow.

just got to say, The reason we are allowed to keep fish is because you have to weed out some of the smaller ones or else their will be too many small fish competing for food with the large ones and then the overall pop. gets smaller. I am not a salmon fisherman, but more a pike man and I know that keeping the smallest legal fish can really help all the others grow to a more substantial size. Just my opinion...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.