Author Topic: coleman camp stoves  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Yukon Roz

• IceShanty Rookie
coleman camp stoves
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:15 AM »
Has anyone ever used one on the ice in extreme cold.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
Re: coleman camp stoves
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:33 AM »
I have used the propane stoves for a couple years now and in the EXTREME cold they do not always function properly.  There seems to be a freezing issue with the stem that connects to the bottle, and friends have gotten around this by wrapping a heat pack on the stem.  The white gas stoves do not have the same issue and work fine in the cold.  I picked one up at a tag sale and plan to use just the white gas for the season.  Theres nothing worse than hauling food and a stove out onto the ice only to find out you'll stay hungry for the day.

Offline Trapper John

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:46 AM »
Propane doesn't vaporize properly in extreme cold, your better off with a white gas type stove for them real cold days.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:51 AM »
They make a burner that sits on top of a small propane bottle. I have used those in all weather with no issues. They put out 8000 btu's.Very light weight and easy to pack on and off the ice. Easier that a cook stove. If I used a cook stove I would use the one for fuel instead of propane.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Yukon Roz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:24 AM »
Thanks you guys saved me a night with out hot food or heat.

Offline rocklobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:16 PM »
I have had both propane and white gas stoves freeze up on me.  granted it was insanely extreme conditionson Winnipisaki. 10 below with 40 mph gusts.  That lake and its crazy weather loves to test/break all my gear.  Make sure if you use the white gas stoves that you keep your fuel as free of moisture as possible and filtered.  Plus make sure that no spiders have nested in your gas delivery tube to the main burner.  Fuel vapors will condense and flood the tube making for some exciting 2-3 foot dflames coming from your burner :o.  Lots of fun when in the shanty!!!!  Again It was alsways well below zero in harsh conditions when I had these problems.  All in all they are great multi-purpose stoves.
here pikey pikey...BIG DEAD BAIT...

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:22 PM »
I've been using propane for quit some time now with no real issues down to zero. I like the idea of putting a hand warmer on the delivery tube. Propane is a lot easier than screwing with the white gas. plug it in and cook.

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If some is good, then more is better!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:54 PM »
I have a cheep gas grill that I use camping and on the ice. The only problem I have had, is the wind blowing it out. Once I get a burger dripping grease on it, it's good to go!
Brute force and ignorance with over come fear and common sense!

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2010, 12:59 AM »
I guess it depends on your idea of what is extreme cold. I have never had an issue while fishing in the teens here in CT, but understand some people have problems on colder days farther north. I use the coleman stove with the 1 lb bottle.

Hawk

Offline waltsfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AH-SUNSET -to fish or not to fish what a stupid ?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:41 AM »
i use a 2 burner propane w/ 1 lb tank i also use mine year round sled makes good wind block

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:45 AM »
I use a 1963 two burner white gas Coleman. Never had a problem, but I'm not out when it's below 0. We heat coffee cocoa and hot dogs on it. This year I'm going to try popcorn too.

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:24 AM »
i prefer the white gas coleman stoves because they can be rebuilt and you can find used ones at yard sales and flea markets very cheap.Although a littlte heavy to pull in the slead,ive never had a problem making bambi stew or boiling water even in extreme temperatures.I retired my last one after 25 years of icefishing service. ;D

Offline macattack678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2010, 12:21 PM »
I have the propane adaptor for my old white gas stove for about $25.  It works great.  If I ever want to go back to white gas (can't imagine I would), I can.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Got a classic Coleman 2 burner stove. It's done fine down to zero, which is as cold as we ever see usually Roz. I like E's idea of using a handwarmer on the line if needed.

Offline adamg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:50 AM »
In 1995 I bought a 1967 Ford Econoline factory-converted pop-top camping van  that came complete with a set of barbells and dumbells(??), a cutting board, a Coleman 2-burner stove that appears much older than the van, and an old Coleman lantern.  I've used both the stove and lantern multiple times per year for the past 20 years and have only had to replace a gas cap and of course the mantles in the lantern.  The lantern alone heats up my hub shelter.  The stove  goes on summer canoe trips, car-camping and winter ice fishing excursions and shows no signs of quitting! Over 40 years old and going strong!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Hey trooper Bri.,  long time no see. Have you been out much this year?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:03 PM »
Hey trooper Bri.,  long time no see. Have you been out much this year?

Papa Sly, regretfully Bri doesn't fish much if at all any longer. Check the date of his post. I've invited him out a few times both on my boat and the ice but we haven't been able to hook up since last season.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2015, 04:25 PM »
when we are going to be out there for a while, we bring firewood. the ambiance is better. venison tastes great over a wood fire.
wishing i was still young

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2015, 04:29 PM »
-good trick-bring a bit of sterno for your white-gas stove: if the fuel line freezes-butter a bit onto the line+light it up-outside while stove is not-pressurized for a minute- only takes a pinch of sterno- works everytime- be safe. Coleman also makes "heating paste" w/ directions for extreme cold- pretty much pricey sterno.

Offline steelhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:37 AM »
I use a butane back packing stove it only weighs 4 oz and will boil 4 cups of water in 3 min they are made for use in extreme cold and high altitude great for heating soup or coffee ect and help with keeping the weight down in the sled

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Steelhead, are you referring to a JetBoil? I bought one about 10 years ago at EMS when my son was in Boy Scouts. That thing is awesome except the canisters are a bit spendy.

Offline steelhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2015, 05:11 AM »
Ya mine is made by optimus it the crux model I got it with the heat exchanger pot the whole gas can burner and 1 litter pot fit in a large pocket they make a winter blend fuel for them I have used it at 13000 feet I archery elk hunt in Colorado on my own back pack in spike camp hunt ect. The tech that the back packers use usually comes to hunters and fisherman last.

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Never had a problem with my whitegas camp stove I've used it in -40 I heat my hub style shack with it and usually cook some venison steak or Italian sausage mid day when the bite slows down

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.