Author Topic: Fastest Hardside Folding Shanty  (Read 110469 times)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Fastest Hardside Folding Shanty
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:26 PM »
I would really like to take on a project like this one. That is a very well thought out shack! I could just see a IS get together with a couple hundred of these things out there.
Send those plans this way my friend!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:31 PM »
I have three ready for that one. It would make my day to see that.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline ted10

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • home sweet home. the dog house
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:32 PM »
that would be nice if i could get some of them plan and material list too. that is very cool. my email is [email protected] i live in lincoln me.
TED JAMES

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:36 PM »
also interested in plans

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:30 AM »
Just a little info for all asking for plans.

The first one I made took five years of spare time to complete. I would get to a problem, or what I would call a problem, and it would stop me until I found the perfect way to do it. Sometimes what would stop me was the looking for the lightest materials, or having the capability to cut something. The first one I was learning all of the skills of how to build. I had a hacksaw, jig saw, and a small sander. It took forever to cut one piece of wood. It was terrible to have great ideas in my head and no way to get them out because of lack of tools and wisdom, or know how. Believe me, I think of icefishing all year, not just when its cold when I think I should build something to stay out of the weather. Some of the materials I had to buy, cut to size, and they were expensive! I have since learned how to cut my own. I now have a good table saw, band saw, power drills, (several so I don't have to keep changing bits) jig saws, several sanders, electric and air staplers. I had to learn how to work with several substrates to make it as light as possible and work in the cold. The price of some of the materials didn't bother me because it was my hobby. Getting the money from the wife was another issue. I don't drink or smoke so I use the excuse of not spending money in other places so I should be able to have a little fun my way.
So what I am saying is this. The plans will do you no good unless you have access to some materials and the tools to cut, drill, sand, and staple. I liken it to building a model airplane, with gussets and such. Or do you think I should offer a kit with all of the wood and materials for you to assemble? It would cut down on cost and shipping and give you the best chance of completing a shanty.

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:36 AM »
Great shanty(s)!!!  Wish I hadn't seen them, cause now I'm hooked on the idea.  I'm with the others.... whatever info you could give would be appreciated.  Thanks.  Scott

Offline w

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:28 PM »
That is one of the slickest things I have ever seen.

Plans and a list of materials would be great ;D

Wino

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Great shanty(s)!!!  Wish I hadn't seen them, cause now I'm hooked on the idea.  I'm with the others.... whatever info you could give would be appreciated.  Thanks.  Scott
ditto here.  VERY well thought out. hats off brother!!

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Patent the idea then sell the plans. Looks like you could make some extra money for fishin!

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:52 PM »
I'd like the plans as well.

Offline HoleHpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:39 PM »
now you done it michiana!  I've fished in #2 and it's awesome!  My only concern: can you fit it in the back of a truck or does it take a small trailer?
Suit Up!

Offline waka-waka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Awesome shelter you've built there sir!! I too would like to ask about plans. I have tools and materials are no problem. Love to build one of these, then I could get my dad out on the ice!! ;D

Offline backstrapfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:36 PM »
my life will not be complete without plans and materials list please
the wind is blowin,the snow is deep the perch are biting and many i will keep
give a man a fish he will eat for a day teach a man to fish and he will drink beer and piss off his wife

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:35 PM »
now you done it michiana!  I've fished in #2 and it's awesome!  My only concern: can you fit it in the back of a truck or does it take a small trailer?
It will fit in a full size van or pickup. It is just less than 48inches wide.

Offline HoleHpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:45 PM »
gotcha...  I've seen it in a van, but wasn't sure about getting it up into a truck.  None the less, a great setup I'd like to own.
Suit Up!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:25 PM »
plans and a materials list would be great here, have you considered making a one-man?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:14 AM »
plans and a materials list would be great here, have you considered making a one-man?
I have done some figuring and the weight would not change enough to make a difference. Also the cost of materials would be the same. Just more cut offs. I can move the thing around so easy myself, even with gear piled on top that it just seamed like more work to make a smaller one. I have some great ideas for a one man shanty, but I have too many friends and family that like my company. So keep making them bigger rather than smaller. Might be when I get older and grumpier I will be able to use a one man shanty. As it it now I will be taking out second generation fisherman with me. My kids grew up in the two man and now the Grandkids get the 8x8 Michiana shanty 2. Did I will tell you guys I am making a Michiana shanty 3 next year. Unless I get overwhelmed with requests for plans for the two man. Then I will have to make a new two man and do an instructional video so everyone would have the best chance to finish one before next season.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:56 AM »
I would apply for patent and see what happens very nice shack thanks for sharing

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #48 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:19 AM »
You should develop the plans and sell them and distribute online. $10.00 X 1000 = $10,000 Would give you enough money for those missing table saws and stuff for your next project.

Great Idea!
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline slednut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:18 AM »
I'm in for plans or a list of materials either way!!! Great idea!!!!
Would love to build one "ASAP"!!!!!!

Offline Beeler

« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2011, 02:05 PM »
I just made a scale model of the folding shanty. 2 inches = 1 foot. It folds out and in just like the video.
I just wonder how much a 2 man shanty weights.
I'm a retired cabinet maker of 25 years and still have most of my tools.
When building this scale model there are a lot things to remember to make it fold flat. The panels are many different sizes. I think it would be fun to build.    

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 04, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Yes each wall is a different height also. Build the walls so each will lay on the other giving room for the strip of Luann that makes them seal. If you make the walls fit right no need for weatherstripping and it will save you some money. Remember the front wall folds into the shanty so this will dictate the headroom depending on how tall you make the bottom box.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #52 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Thanks for the information. I plan on going to Home Depot on Wednesday 1-5-11 and getting the materials I need. Did you use 1/2 plywood for the floor? I think I'll put 1 more 2x2 on the bottom of the floor. For the lower side walls I plan on using 2x2's as a frame and then covering with 1/4 plywood. I then will insulate between the 2x2s'. I'll use snow skis for the runners with a 2x4 block between the skis and lower side wall. The upper wall frame will be lapped at the corners with glued triangles.  
I've been searching the web for weeks trying to find a good design and this if by far the best.
Thanks for showing the video. Have a blessed day.  

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:56 PM »
That is totally awesome!  What a great invention!  You could make some serious bucks with it.

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Pretty awesome!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline mboies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:24 PM »
What are the chances i could perhaps get a set of those plans. I would appreciate it very much.

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Wow! awesome!!!  :clap:
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Bullelk34

« Reply #57 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:36 PM »
That's incredible! You need to offer a how-to video SOON!! I would pay 20-30 for a video without a second thought and I know I'm not alone.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:05 AM »
Thanks for the information. I plan on going to Home Depot on Wednesday 1-5-11 and getting the materials I need. Did you use 1/2 plywood for the floor? I think I'll put 1 more 2x2 on the bottom of the floor. For the lower side walls I plan on using 2x2's as a frame and then covering with 1/4 plywood. I then will insulate between the 2x2s'. I'll use snow skis for the runners with a 2x4 block between the skis and lower side wall. The upper wall frame will be lapped at the corners with glued triangles. 
I've been searching the web for weeks trying to find a good design and this if by far the best.
Thanks for showing the video. Have a blessed day. 
You can use a piece of 1/2 inch plywood for the floor. Pick each sheet up and try to find a sheet that is lightweight and not heavy with moisture or sap. You can use the 2x2s in the corners only then use some nice kiln dried firing strips for the middle sections. Depending on how rammy you are the 1/4 inch plywood only needs to be on the sled side. The rest can be done with 1/8 inch Luann. With this design you won't need ski's. Before you get too far check the whole building thread for my michiana shanty 2. This will help you allot. The number 2 is way more complicated but some of my tricks are the same.
And about adding the extra 2x2 in the middle. There is one. It is glued and screwed to the inside of the floor and is part of the bench.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #59 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:37 AM »
I love this!! Great thought had to go into this. Thanks for sharing! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.