Author Topic: Fastest Hardside Folding Shanty  (Read 110390 times)

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fastest Hardside Folding Shanty
« Reply #60 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:00 AM »
Very awesome. You have another interested in plans...keeping my fingers crossed. 

Offline Beeler

« Reply #61 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:18 PM »
Well, I started on the folding shanty. A friend of mine had some 1x6 Aspen so I ripped them on my table saw to 1-1/2 strips, real nice wood to work with. A lot of thinking goes on when building this shanty, EVERY wall is a different height. But I think I have it now, it's really cool how it folds, can't wait to show some of my fishing friends. The shanty is heavier then I thought and I might have a hard time lifting it into my truck if I fish alone. I don't plan on pulling it by hand to go fishing, I'll use it when the ice is thick enough to drive on. I went fishing today with my flip over shelter and it was cold. Can't wait to get this one done so I can stay warm. My wife (of 9 months) just started to fish with me and she's looking forward to this shanty also.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #62 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:20 PM »
I dado all the joints and will be using glue and screws to fasten everything together. I could not find any R-BOARD in my area, no one stocks it. So I'll end up using 3/4 pink foam board.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:34 PM »
You work fast!   :o

From i saw it here, to ive built my own in 3 weeks?  Impressive.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline T.W

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:08 PM »
include me...that was cool as hell.

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Put me down for plans as well!  This thing is AWESOME!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline MEANMACHINE3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 09, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Ever since I saw Michianas post I have been trying to put my own plan together. Does the base box you built have four different measurements for the side walls? Are they all off 1"? Did you then build the four walls to accommodate the different measurements?

Offline McIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a Kid FISHING!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 09, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Add me to the growing list for these plans please! What a well thought shanty!!!
I wasn't running the net!                  :icefish:

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #68 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:26 PM »
As Frank Barone would say...."HOLY CRAP"...that is slick !!!! Someone please come up with some PLANS please ...so that us nomb nuts can start this project and have it done by NEXT ice fishing season !!!....lol ;D
Duane

Offline Beeler

« Reply #69 on: Jan 09, 2011, 10:56 PM »
The upper panels are ready to be sanded and finish. My wife said she would help with that on Monday.
Yes, all the walls are different heights. I built the bottom walls and top panels at 1-1/2 inch thick. (1 inch might work also) Build the bottom walls first and then keep all the panels flush at the top all the way around the shanty. l Allowed enough room for the panels to fold in on each other. You have to allow room for the plywood trim that is around the panels also. When your framing it up don't glue anything together until you have the whole thing framed up. You will make mistakes, I sure did. It's a little more work this way but then you can make changes without busting the glue joints. I should have about $125.00 in it when it's done.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #70 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:24 AM »
Looks great! I used 3/4 x 3/4 to save on the weight. The bench I built in also keeps it square and makes it stronger across the floor without adding supports. You have some storebought hinges also, that adds to your cost. It doe's make you turn on the old thinking cap, doesn't it!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Beeler

« Reply #71 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:13 AM »
I just thought a 3/4 inch frame would be a little weak, but as I was building I can see that by adding the 1/8 inch plywood and the foam will stiffening the frame up. What did you use for hinges? What kind of glue did you use to glue the foam in? When I first started to build this shanty, my mind was racing 100 miles an hour, there are so many things to remember when cutting all the wood. When I build my next one I'm sure it will take me half the time. My wife said, please lets use this a few times before you put it on Craigslist! LOL!!!  

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Nice man need plans!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:13 PM »
I just thought a 3/4 inch frame would be a little weak, but as I was building I can see that by adding the 1/8 inch plywood and the foam will stiffening the frame up. What did you use for hinges? What kind of glue did you use to glue the foam in? When I first started to build this shanty, my mind was racing 100 miles an hour, there are so many things to remember when cutting all the wood. When I build my next one I'm sure it will take me half the time. My wife said, please lets use this a few times before you put it on Craigslist! LOL!!!  
I used Titebond 2 For the wood joints and the gussets. I use PL 300 to glue in the foam board.
I bought some piano hinge and cut my own. I made sure the hinge was only 3/4 on an inch when folded so they would clear going up and down. I can tell you my walls are strong enough for some big winds. When you set it up on the ice put the wind to your back to keep the drafts out. The wind pushing from the back will make it seal better.

Now you need to make a big one!

Offline Beeler

« Reply #74 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:47 PM »
Yes, I used Titebond glue for all the wall wood joints. The Big Shanty looks like a lot of work, but very nice. Trying to figure out all the folding walls you design, you most not sleep at night. Your mind must just racing all night long. I have plans in my head now how to make a real light 1 man (person) shanty, might do that this summer. You said on one of your old posting that you could never keep warm in the canvas style shelters. I know what you mean, I had 3 different styles. I even removed the plastic floor of a cabin style and built a wooden floor and it still was not what I wanted. I think this shanty is going to meet my needs. Thanks for sharing this design on the web.    

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:44 PM »
IMPRESSIVE!!
KeepfishN4fun

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #76 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:25 PM »
I have no idea? I can pick the whole thing up by myself. If I had to guess it may be two hundred pounds?
No plans for it, but if enough guys ask me I may have to provide some.

Yep Plans here too.   Retired with a 40 X 80 pole barn full of Tim The Toolman toys...just waiting for the next project to come around.    Great shack....great thinking.....sad my mind just doesnt work like that....mostly doesnt work at all.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:28 AM »
Instead of plans I would make an instructional video, or perhaps a weekly shanty building club for a summer project. In other words I could fit into my schedule a weekly video of step by step explanations of how to do it. All I would need to do is provide a list of materials and some templates of the complicated pieces to make every one turn out the same.

Beller, you said that the wood frames seamed heavier than you thought they would. Did you use KILN DRIED wood. The better quality wood will be heavy so I use the cheap firing strips and cut around the bad spots. I hand pick them from a pile at Menard's. Then rip them to size and cut out the knots. I also don't use the center braces because the wall with the panel glued in is strong enough. Just make a jig to keep it square as the glue dries and make sure to cut the panels so they fit in snug. This will keep them square also.
One other tip Beller. If you find that after the panels are installed that the shanty doesn't fold exactly right. You may need to trim a little off an edge with your table saw so if folds easy. The walls for your test fit will work fine because they can move but once the panels are in you may or may not have trouble. Just don't panic.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #78 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:21 AM »
The wood I used for the walls was kiln dried Aspen, it's real light and no knots at all. It's like pine and it might be lighter then pine. A weekly shanty building club on video sounds very nice for the less skilled but some guys might just need the plans. Can you or do you know anyone that can draw the plans on the computer? Sure looks like a lot of guys would buy the plans from this web site and this is only one site. Maybe their is a fisherman on this site that has a CAD program to help out. GOD gave you a gift and you should cash in on it. And if you don't want the money donate the money to some charity that you would like to help out in your town.
Beeler                                                                       

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:09 AM »
I can give credit to GOD for my wisdom. I prayed a long time to be able to get the ideas from my head to an actual item. As far a money goes, I need money just like everyone else. I sat on this design for years and thought I would do something with it. As time goes by and nothing happens I figured I would bless a few of you with the shanty. I am sure I could make some money with plans and such, but I can tell you I built it for myself first. I am not a shanty manufacture, I am a fisherman who likes to fish in style.    Enjoy!

And if any of you end up building one someday, you will know what I mean about style, and if not, I will save you a seat in mine. ;D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Did you have any problem finding R-board?

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 13, 2011, 01:28 PM »
could i snag a set of plans from ya?

Offline Beeler

« Reply #82 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:01 PM »
I found 3/4 inch sheets of R-Board but they wanted $20.00 each and I would have to drive 100 miles round trip, so I went with the 3/4 inch pink foam for $8.60 each and closer to home. 

Offline Beeler

« Reply #83 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Sorry, fisherman Chuck I don't have plans. I just watched the video about 25 times and looked at the pictures that Michianafisherman posted. I then went out in my shop and started to build.   
Beeler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 14, 2011, 05:10 AM »
I found 3/4 inch sheets of R-Board but they wanted $20.00 each and I would have to drive 100 miles round trip, so I went with the 3/4 inch pink foam for $8.60 each and closer to home. 
I can tell you the R-board is worth the price. I don't use middle supports. The R- board has a coating of a fiberglass so it can be bent or flexed without breaking. I also found it to be less squeaky. And whatever color you get will let the sunshine turn the inside to the same color during the day. If you want a blockout shanty for spearing, use the aluminum coated stuff.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #85 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:23 AM »
I'm not completing done with the shanty but I had to try it out. I need to put windows in, door latch and
the bench seat. I used a Buddy heater and ran it on low and it was toasty inside. My wife and I both love this shanty. It's so easy to set up and it feels solid. The foam was not pink it had a purple color to it.
I did end up mounting cross country skis (lighter then down hill skis) on the bottom. It's real easy to push around. One reason I like to keep the shanty up-right is that I can store all my gear inside. I don't need to take things in and out. I was able to load the shanty in my truck by myself. I placed one end on the tailgate and picked the back up and slide the shanty on. 

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:44 AM »
that is very cool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:52 AM »
It looks great. You can find how I did my thermo windows on the michiana shanty 2 build.

here is a picture.

they are clear. I did not peal the protection off

I don't know if I have any close ups of my handle for the door.  Did you leave room for a handle and the door when it folds?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:54 AM »
One more thing. Is it better than a tarp shanty?

Offline Beeler

« Reply #89 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:51 PM »
One more thing. Is it better than a tarp shanty?
In a tarp shelter (and I had 3 of them) you have frost building up on the ceiling and walls and with the Buddy heater on high I never felt it was warm enough to take my jacket off and relax.
With this Shanty my wife and I both had our jackets off and even had to crack the door open once in while to cool down and the Buddy heater was on low.  It takes me 25 seconds to set this shanty up.
YOU CAN'T COMPARE THIS SHANTY WITH A TARP SHELTER....... AT ALL.

GO PACK!

Beeler   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.